Can We Win w/ D'Antoni

Kiyaman

Legend
That's manifestly not true and if you read the thread you know that. The people on this board that are mad at our current standing predicted this team struggling to win THIRTY games and 45 wins "with this coach" was insanely optimistic. D'Antoni and this team are exceeding the pre-season predictions, and the "insanely optimistic" predictions.

Most of the fans on this board that were predicting bad things did NOT think we have a 55 win team. And quite frankly, we do not have 55-win talent.

Prediction of the season, and trade-Threads are not my style.
u can never predict the wins/losses in a season when the headcoach
consistently have "player-coach-conflicts" with more than two players
on the roster (Larry Brown/ Isiah/ and Dantoni).
Larry Brown has always had conflicts with several players on every team
he coached. Isiah had personal conflicts with Jalen Rose, Reggie Miller,
and half of coach Larry Bird rotation. Dantoni had conflicts with Marbury,
Penny, Jim Jackson, Q.Rich, Hunter, Amare, and Kurt Thomas.

My evaluation on Dantoni is my career experience in college-ball,
and $$$ street-ball teams.
I played with alot of great ball-handlers (PG) that will change the offense
and position of teammates without the consent of the headcoach.
It only takes two teammates to follow along with the PG to make it work.
Nash/ Joe Johnson/ and Marion created their own run n gun system .
Alot of college coaches hated when new PG change their system, but
when something works consistently u have to go with it.
Magic Johnson, Pearl Washington, Rod Strictland, and Iverson.

If u watch the Knicks clearly the past 3 seasons the offense has no system.
There is a plan-A (3-ball or pick n roll), but there is no plan-B or plan-C.
Our fastbreaks never seem concise or organize on a 4 on 3 or 3 on 2.
The defense is man to man coverage with poor defender-switching.
The halfcourt offense has no low-post move to score in the paint or
10 foot jumper, its made for 3-ball shooting or individual dribblin to the
basket from the 3-ball line.
The Knicks lineups never have two bigmen defending the paint area which
has let all our oponents score in the paint at will the past 3 seasons.

Kiyaman

Legend
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yea, Herb Williams proved he was such a great coach in his short term stint. I especially liked his offensive plays "Everybody stand around" and "Nobody make a screen" and "Stagnant Offense Play #4000". Really made them a much better squad... /sarcasm.

Do u really recall that season? or your every word is sarcastic to the truth. How long was the Knicks losing-streak when Marbury publically quoted, "I am the best guard in the NBA"?

KBlack25

Starter
Do u really recall that season? or your every word is sarcastic to the truth. How long was the Knicks losing-streak when Marbury publically quoted, "I am the best guard in the NBA"?

What does that have to do with the fact that Herb Williams couldn't draw up a kindergarten offensive play that involved more than 0 screens?

Kiyaman

Legend
What does that have to do with the fact that Herb Williams couldn't draw up a kindergarten offensive play that involved more than 0 screens?

u dont remember that season.
The Knicks traded away the rest of their bigmen from the start of the season to the deadline (Motombo & Nazr). Herb Williams only had Kurt Thomas & Sweetney to work with.
Why do u think after the season Isiah offseason actions were signing a walking Center, then drafted 6.11 Frye/ 6.9 Lee/ gave the MLE to 7.0 Jerome James/ then traded for 7.0 Curry and 6.11 Dale Davis.
Count the bigmen Isiah put on the Knicks roster that offseason?

When u get finish counting then u could "try" to convince me that Herb Williams & Patrick Ewing with Mark Aquire on their staff were not the best suitable coaches for the Knicks at the time.
Larry Brown was the last coach u would want coaching these bigmen players.... Im quoting Dale Davis after he demanded to be traded off the Knicks away from his ex-Pacer coach DELUSIONAL Larry Brown.

O yeah Herb coached a 33 win season 15 wins belong to Herb

KBlack25

Starter
O yeah Herb coached a 33 win season 15 wins belong to Herb

:barf:
Okay so we were a 33 win team that year...a 40% winning percentage

Herb Williams went 16-27...a winning percentage of 37.2%

Herb Williams had us worse off than Wilkens (who I actually thought was a good coach.

Kiyaman said:
Larry Brown was the last coach u would want coaching these bigmen players.... Im quoting Dale Davis after he demanded to be traded off the Knicks away from his ex-Pacer coach DELUSIONAL Larry Brown.

I am pretty sure Dale Davis was never a Knick...but good memory you have there, we should all trust your remembrance of the past. /sarcasm

Last edited:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Like many Knicks Fans I am happy that we can now look back at the Isaiah Era as we move forward and try to restore the prominence of what was once a proud and respected franchise. I think Donnie Walsh has been decent as a GM as he was able to clean house and give the Knicks young talent and some flexibility to work with in the future. Up until this point however, the Knicks have not show any real improvement. This of course is part of the rebuilding process and considering how there was no real continuity and players were all looking out for themselves with contracts expiring, to fault D'Antoni at this point would be premature.

Up until this point, I have ignored most of the criticism of our coach as he has never really had much of a chance to put his system into place. I think the most legitimate point that has been made is his lack of emphasis on defense and rebounding. Even as a D'Antoni supporter I am truly concerned by his disregard for the two most critical components of championship winning basketball. I have no doubt that the Knicks will be entertaining but quite frankly I got plenty of that reading the newspapers when Isaiah was running things. I don't care about just "making the playoffs" I want to dominate.

Looking back on the history of the NBA, I cannot recall a team outside of perhaps the Showtime Lakers that could get away with average defense and go deep into the playoffs. As potent as the D'Antoni Offense can be I honestly feel that this Knicks team regardless of personal will not win the Eastern Conference Finals unless D'Antoni accommodates more effective defensive players at the expense of his personal taste. So when Donnie is looking to trade Wilson for Rudy most people scratch their head, but in D'Antoni's "system" which overvalues offensive prowess and undervalues defense this is a slam dunk.

Considering where we stand now do you feel D'Antoni will be able to coach a contender?

No....

D'Antoni can win games, but not rings. His methods of playing the game are inherently flawed. Unless D'Antoni changes his mind on defensive players, I just can't see it happening.