Chris Childs speaks out after Knicks never invited him to 1998-99 team reunion

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Childs, who played five seasons as a Knick, was the backup point guard for the memorable squad. He appeared in 48 (out of 50) games and was second on the team in assists. Unfortunately, the NBA alum tells SNY.tv and TheKnicksBlog.com that no one from the organization reached out with an invite.

"I have no idea. I talked to John Starks (whose role is listed as Alumni Relations and Fan Development Advisor) the other day. Allan Houston, Kurt Thomas, and Larry Johnson all have my number. It might have to do with me supporting Charles Oakley. "

Following the incident, Childs said he would not have accepted an invite to MSG like Sprewell and so many others did. While Oakley hasn't returned, the two sides have made moves in an attempt to reconcile. Childs even offered to help. The dust has certainly cleared a bit, but Childs was still left without an invite for this special occasion.

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/chri...invited-him-to-1998-99-team-reunion/221831046

I've always had Childs next to Starks, Mase, Oak, Ewing or Sprewell when it came to players that played with their heart for the Knicks, it's too bad three of them (well, two now since Spree finally returned) were blacklisted and one never got a job with the organization and has to coach on other teams..

Kiyaman

Legend
WOW! it were PG-Chris Childs, SF-Sprewell, and PF-Camby dynamics that beat Alonzo Mornings Miami Heats team in the first round (later for Allan Houston 100M last shot), plus the trio carried us to the FINALS vs Robinson/Duncan Spurs team.

Today, Sprewell and Charlie Ward were in the Garden shaking their head back n forth at the Knicks poor performance vs the Boston Celtics 110-94 win over Knicks SMH2

Wait a minute. Childs said after the Oakley incident he would not accept an invite to MSG. I mean, c'mon, that's probably why they didn't offer him an invite to MSG.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Typical of a dysfunctional franchise. Child's was known for his tough defense, but instead of coaching, he's not even invited to the building. But a bum coach like Rambis is your "defensive coordinator" which translates into paid courtside seats to watch the Knicks give up 30 point quarters.:(

paris401

Starter
Wait a minute. Childs said after the Oakley incident he would not accept an invite to MSG. I mean, c'mon, that's probably why they didn't offer him an invite to MSG.

there ya go... his feeling r hurt... toooo f..ing bad....

Kiyaman

Legend
Its a bad SHAME .. the Knicks would not have made it to the 8th seed or to the FINALS in 1999. Or save coach JVG job if it weren't for the backcourt tandem PG-Chris Childs and SG-Sprewell 2nd half energy going on a 6-2 run the final 8 games of the regular-season to grab the 8th seed.
Plus beating the number 1 season winning team Miami Heat in the first round in 5 games .. then sweeping Atlanta Hawks in the 2nd round 4-0, then beating the Indiana Pacers in 6 games in the 3rd round to go to the FINALS vs the Spurs.
What part of this did Owner Dolan miss when Dolan went to all the Knicks away games after Firing GM Ernie Grunfield with 8 games left in the regular season.