DET Waives Josh Smith

mafra

Legend
AH, if only we had cap space to claim him... NO way he willingly comes here.

The Detroit Pistons on Monday waived veteran forward Josh Smith, who still had two years and at least $26 million remaining on his contract after this season.

The 29-year-old Smith was averaging 13.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game this season.

"Our team has not performed the way we had expected throughout the first third of the season and adjustments need to be made in terms of our focus and direction," coach and team president Stan Van Gundy said in a statement.

"We are shifting priorities to aggressively develop our younger players while also expanding the roles of other players in the current rotation to improve performance and build for our future. As we expand certain roles, others will be reduced. In fairness to Josh, being a highly versatile 10-year veteran in this league, we feel it's best to give him his freedom to move forward. We have full respect for Josh as a player and a person."

If Smith clears waivers over the next 48 hours, he will have the right to go elsewhere as a free agent.

The Pistons acquired Smith as a free agent after the 2012-13 season. In 105 games with Detroit, he averaged 15.5 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists.

Smith was drafted with the 17th overall selection in the 2004 NBA draft by the Atlanta Hawks.

tiger0330

Legend
That is stunning, they must have tried like hell to move him with no takers. I mentioned trading Stat for him but the contracts don't match even up, not sure any team wants him because JSmoove had ZERO trade value it seems.

However, I doubt he clears waivers, seems like too good a bargain not to pick up for somebody.

paris401

Starter
if a team claims him from waivers, do they also pick up his contract??... not sure about that... I believe that if he clears waivers, the pistons are responsible for paying him, and the acquiring team I believe owes him the vet min... is that correct??

tiger0330

Legend
if a team claims him from waivers, do they also pick up his contract??... not sure about that... I believe that if he clears waivers, the pistons are responsible for paying him, and the acquiring team I believe owes him the vet min... is that correct??
If he's claimed off waivers, the acquiring team picks up his contract. His salary is split between what the waiver claim is for and what the Pistons owe him, ie he is owed 12M next year and he is claimed off waivers for 2M, the Pistons would owe him 10M and the acquiring team 2M. The Pistons will use the stretch provision on him to spread out his remaining salary over 3 years so his cap hit won't be 12M next year.

Seems there was no interest in trading for him but plenty of interest for him since he's been waived.

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like only a handful of teams can claim him off waivers and only Utah, Bucks and Suns would be interested imo. Good chance he clears waivers which means he would become a FA able to sign a deal with any team. We could offer him the vets min and maybe he comes because we have the Zen Master Phil Jackson, isn't that how it's supposed to work with our 60M man. :rolleyes:

LeFlume

All Star
Congrats to Josh Smith, He will get picked up pretty quickly and probably end up with a serious title contender. GTFO out Motor City and straight to playoffs. Win-win for him,,,,

CoolClyde

does Smith have the right to choose where he goes after he claims waivers? why would he come to a losing team, if not THE worst team in the league? i heard he wants to be a Rocket. Dwight, Harden, Ariza, Beverly, and a still-hurt Terrence Jones. Smith could fit right in and power them to next level. hmmm.

besides, Knicks already have two J. Smiths, no room for another.

paris401

Starter
from reports, he mite end up in Houston... not really that impressed with josh... he seems to be a chucker... we already have one of them... and why sign with a loser... take note phil... lots of guys want to play on a 'winner' ... and the $$$$ are secondary... but maybe there will be a FA out there with the Me-Lo mentality of having 'unfinished business ' in ny...

tiger0330

Legend
does Smith have the right to choose where he goes after he claims waivers? why would he come to a losing team, if not THE worst team in the league? i heard he wants to be a Rocket. Dwight, Harden, Ariza, Beverly, and a still-hurt Terrence Jones. Smith could fit right in and power them to next level. hmmm.

besides, Knicks already have two J. Smiths, no room for another.
He can go to any team if he clears waivers, he's an unrestricted FA once he clears. Rox can offer him more than the min, one of the only contenders with an exception to offer other than the vets min.

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like only a handful of teams can claim him off waivers and only Utah, Bucks and Suns would be interested imo. Good chance he clears waivers which means he would become a FA able to sign a deal with any team. We could offer him the vets min and maybe he comes because we have the Zen Master Phil Jackson, isn't that how it's supposed to work with our 60M man. :rolleyes:
I was reading that only one team the 76ers has the cap space to claim him off waivers so it looks like he'll be a FA tomorrow.

Miami is trying to get a disabled player exception for McRoberts from the league to be able to give him more money to entice him to go to Miami. Houston can give him their 2.1M Bi-annual exception so that's where I think he's headed.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
JSmoove 21 pts 8rbs first game with the Rox and DFish said the Knicks weren't interested smh. I hope PJ is a better judge of talent than what he's shown because the Knicks are going to be in deep s**t if he isn't.

paris401

Starter
. I hope PJ is a better judge of talent than what he's shown because the Knicks are going to be in deep s**t if he isn't.

I fear we have just seen a snapshot of the future, where FA's don't give us a 2nd look... why would they?? to join a $hitty team???... oh I 4got ..we have the zen-master... as it stands now the only reason a FA would sign here is because of PJ's rep... is that enough of a draw... I guess we'll see...