Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Detroit Pistons 7:00pm 2/4/2016

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow was watching the DVR of the first half and we were down 25:( I cut to the live broadcast and low and behold a tie game:) get em KNIcKs

Melo and Robin Lopez work the beautiful pick and roll and believe it or not, we lead for the first time tonight with 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

Geez. Detroit 3-pointer, Melo miss, Detroit 3-pointer. Talk about not being able to cash-in on momentum. Down by 4 with 90 seconds to go.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Amazing game...they figure out how to be down by four after taking the lead. I can't take this team anymore.....and certainly MELO can't do it anymore.

mafra

Legend
Let's hope Reggie Miller is right that they can build on this and reel off a 6 game win streak.

Why did we lose? Aside from not playing any defense (0 blocked shots)

Melo 4-18... (He did have 11 boards & 8 assists tho)
KP 2-9 (5 points and 4 boards)
6-23 from 3 (AA & Melo 1-5 each, KP 1-4... combined: 3-14)

Only NYK to play well was Lopez...

?I don?t think we offered any resistance in the first half, we didn?t play with any pride,?? Lopez said. ?I think there was some semblance of pride in the second half. You?re not supposed to win games when you beat yourself like that in the first half. All the scrambling and rallying in the last two quarters is negated. It?s fairly inexcusable. If we won, I would?ve loved to have gotten the win. But you?re kind of cheating yourself that way, I suppose.?

I give credit to DF for ripping these guys 1 at half... And adding:

?That?s the problem right there,?? Fisher said. ?Everybody thinks it?s supposed to come from somebody else other than what?s inside of the guy doing the job. They decided. It doesn?t matter what I said. As a player, you have to decide this means as much to you as anything else in life because it?s what you?ve chosen to do. They made the decision at halftime.??

AA and LG so bad in first half and down final 2 minutes... I'm not getting giddy about their scoring bursts... In the 3rd and 4th... After all, JAX, Johnson, Jennings finished with 54 & 12.

There's nothing to build on... As JVG says, easiest improvement a team can make on their trajectory out of the cellar is to go from a 17-win team to a .500 team...

Boston and Detroit just proved they WANT the playoffs more than us. You can debate and/or argue who has more talent... Bottom line: we had no business being on the court the last 2 games. We faced teams willing to bite, scratch, claw for a playoff spot... We just want one handed to us b/c we have shiny toys.

I'm not sure if it's age, the knees, the defensive attention, or fatigue... But 2.5 seasons is now enough: Melo isn't a closer... At best, he's a decoy. We had a 2-point lead with 2 to play and freaking Anthony Tolliver drains a 3... Melo had 0 points in the 4th?

I don't care that LG got hot... He isn't a PG. he never makes a pass to get somebody a basket... He had a guy in the air and easy was about to shoot 3 free throws... But he avoids contact to dribble forward, spin backwards, and chuck a long 2-point shot. I don't care it went in... That was dumb. Then, he lets Drummond shoot a layup... Wrap him up... He's the worst FT shooter in the league (and 3-9 tonight). LG lack of BBall instinct and IQ is appalling.

DF needs to be fired. He is such a bad in-game coach. How many possessions under 5 minutes did we allow DET to score when we could've easily fouled Drummond? We did it to DeAndre... Dude couldn't hit a FT in the 4th... Yet we don't play that card?

AA Wakes up finally in the 3rd... Then, with game on the line... Disappeared!

DET was 3.5 games ahead of us... And we come out and play like that in the first half?

6 under. Season is kaput. I'll be shocked if we win 35 games. I predict 33-49 final record.

Anyway... This is on all the players. For a bunch of losers to come out with this effort? Pathetic. Then, when game was there to be won... Melo was terrible (aside from the 3 or 4 assists he had).

And KP deserves blame too. This team desperately could use a 20+ point output from him... But his offense has disappeared.

Finally... How many 3 did we miss as soon as we go to within 5 (86-81)... We missed 4 alone when score was stuck there...

I'm not sure why refs gave DET 5 extra seconds on shot clock... But the Tolliver 3 and 2 JAX 3 were prayers... Still, LG failed to fight over screen and he should take a hit... You can't allow that.

Was DW hurt?

I think we all need to PRAY Phil blows this all up... Fire Fisher. Trade everybody. Our goal should be to trade Melo, dump Calderon, find a young player and procure a draft pick... Forget playoffs. It ain't happening.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
(NY Post)

Pistons coach and GM Stan Van Gundy scoffed at the notion the Knicks are a young, ?developing? team not ready to make the playoffs during a trademark pregame rant that seemed aimed at recent remarks by Knicks coach Derek Fisher.

Fisher said recently on ESPN Radio he wouldn?t be ?disappointed?? if the Knicks failed to make the playoffs because: ?We?re a developing team with a ton of new players. There are not a lot of elite teams that are depending on rookies to carry the day. So we have to be reasonable about who we are and where we are and accept what is and not get caught up in what we should be and allow other people to define what our success is.?

Van Gundy doesn?t see the Knicks as ?developing.?? He didn?t name names, but the Pistons leader seemed to be responding to Fisher.

?They?re a good team, a veteran team,?? Van Gundy said before the Pistons? 111-105 victory over the Knicks. ?They got [Kristaps] Porzingis, but when all healthy, they put four veterans around him. It?s a smart, veteran team around a real talented young guy.

?I laugh a little bit when I see them referred to as a young, developing team. I wasn?t aware Robin Lopez, Carmelo Anthony, Jose Calderon and Arron Afflalo are that young. I read that. Wow. I guess in society at large, guys in their 30s are young.??

Van Gundy also ripped the media for ?making up 98 percent?? of trade rumors, adding that ?99.9 percent of the stuff out there never happens.??

However, even though he stated the Pistons have not looked to trade backup point guard and impending free agent Brandon Jennings, he admitted their trade-deadline strategy could be amended with a new injury to shooting guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, who strained his groin in Boston on Wednesday and has had an MRI exam.

?We don?t know what his status is,?? Van Gundy said. ?When we have an idea on how long he?ll be out, it could affect what we think.??

TNT?s Charles Barkley won?t back down from his guarantee the Knicks will make the playoffs but said, ?They need a point guard.??

Barkley admits he?s been ?surprised?? rookie Jerian Grant hasn?t made a bigger impact and feels if they can steal Atlanta point guard Jeff Teague, they?re on their way.

?The one thing that surprised me was the point guard,?? Barkley said on a TNT conference call promoting All-Star Weekend. ?Thought the Grant kid would be playing a lot more. I hear there are rumors they could get Jeff Teague, [then] the playoffs are a lock. I love Jeff Teague. You put him with Carmelo, Porzingis, they would make the playoffs because that?s the one weak spot they have to fix in the next year. I thought the Grant kid would be the answer, but he?s coming out a little slower. They need a point guard. It?s going to be close, there?s a bunch of early girls there at 7-8 [seeds].??

Fisher may get a break Friday as his sparring partner, Matt Barnes, was listed as questionable for the game with the Grizzlies because of a sore hamstring.

In the first meeting in Memphis, three weeks ago, peace prevailed as Barnes didn?t so much as look at Fisher. Regardless if Barnes plays, the Garden fans may be more focused on Memphis PG Mike Conley, who missed the first meeting with knee soreness.

The Knicks and Nets are expected to battle for Conley when he becomes a free agent. He is a lefty who plays defense and is a leader ? holding a lot of attributes dear to Fisher.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
This loss is on Carmelo. He's the star player. Instead, the Knicks needed Langston ****ing Galloway to get them back in the game, because Melo was useless and got nothing done the entire night. He took terrible shots and missed easy looks.

Kiyaman

Legend
In the final 6 minutes of thiis Knicks vs Detroit game ...
Lopez n Gallo clicked together to show-up wid a consistent effort in their hustle for a win.
PG ISO-Melo missing shots showed he is still a C- minus average Closer .. need to past-first!
SG Afflalo 45th game performance showed he still hasn't prove he is a Closer for us
Back to the drawing-board Fisher or Phil or whomever .....

Kiyaman

Legend
(NY Post)
TNT’s Charles Barkley won’t back down from his guarantee the Knicks will make the playoffs but said, “They need a point guard.’’

Barkley admits he’s been “surprised’’ rookie Jerian Grant hasn’t made a bigger impact and feels if they can steal Atlanta point guard Jeff Teague, they’re on their way.

“The one thing that surprised me was the point guard,’’ Barkley said on a TNT conference call promoting All-Star Weekend. “Thought the Grant kid would be playing a lot more. I hear there are rumors they could get Jeff Teague, [then] the playoffs are a lock. I love Jeff Teague. You put him with Carmelo, Porzingis, they would make the playoffs because that’s the one weak spot they have to fix in the next year. I thought the Grant kid would be the answer, but he’s coming out a little slower. They need a point guard. It’s going to be close, there’s a bunch of early girls there at 7-8 [seeds].’’

I hope Barkley was addressing that comment to Knicks coach Fisher and Phil Jackson.
Because during the All-Star break we will have several practices without Melo n Porzingis ..
Developing a transition defensive-lineup in practice during All-Star break should be Fisher n Phils #1 job ...my lineup would be .. Rolo D.Will Lance Gallo Grant n 6th man O'Quinn.
Grant skils will make noise in a lineup he's familiar with