Game thread: New York Knicks @ Toronto Raptors 12/10/2021 7:30pm [Game #26]

This Knicks team is lacking in a lot of areas. We?ll still end up with a winning record, I think, because this team will play hard every night in the mid to late season when other teams are phoning games in.

I guess the question is do we have a lot of flexibility for change or not? I think we do. Major changes can be made with how our current roster is being used and given the way our contracts are structured and the picks we have, major change could be made via trade.

I still like what Randle does. He just can?t be the best player on a team that expects to contend.

If those other teams are ?phoning it in? shouldn?t we be doing the same thing??
And why would this team play any hard than the other teams?
Those other teams are playing for draft position shouldn?t we be doing the same thing??
Wouldn?t the question be more if someone knows what to do with flexibility??
Why do you guys keep talking about Randle?? He is a product of a larger problem. He is an assist in the right offense scheme. Showing what he can do in different kind of offense is already known from his time in N.O.
No other starter has that so he has value if played correctly. BTW, you don?t get rid of a double/double player unless you have one in the wings.

mafra

Legend
If Rose is worth anything, he turns Randle and the vets into Simmons and a lottery pick?. Makes a move for J-Jax to in MEM and finds 2 rotation players in draft (1 a gem).

Duarte would?ve shut down all draft workouts had NYK assured they would take him at 19. They didn?t. He worked out for Indy and they fell in love?.

Starting Wed? any and all options available.

Hey, Zion being shut down? Ja out?. RJ baby! Flip for Dame? Beal?

Get to work Leon.

Kiyaman

Legend
If those other teams are ?phoning it in? shouldn?t we be doing the same thing??
And why would this team play any hard than the other teams?
Those other teams are playing for draft position shouldn?t we be doing the same thing??
Wouldn?t the question be more if someone knows what to do with flexibility??
Why do you guys keep talking about Randle?? He is a product of a larger problem. He is an assist in the right offense scheme. Showing what he can do in different kind of offense is already known from his time in N.O.
No other starter has that so he has value if played correctly. BTW, you don?t get rid of a double/double player unless you have one in the wings.

Wsup Dark .. The Ben Simmons trade are heated-up to becoming a 3-team or 4-team trade. I'm hoping the Knicks are in those trades offering our overrate Randle, and our inconsistent non-meshing RJ Barrett to pull Ben Simmons.
As for Randle being a double-double player (Or a 40 min facilitator).
Well the Knicks would have 3 double-double players having Ben Simmons, MitchRob, and 2nd season Obi Toppin in 30 min per game.
Randle has been the Knicks 40 min offensive facilitator for 2 and half season, and I dont recall Randle ever throwing Obi or MitchRob a alley-oop pass. I recall Morris throwing MitchRob alley-oop passes, but not Randle or Barrett. MitchRob situation reminds me of the (15-12) Cavs double-double center Jarrett Allen, When on the Brooklyn Nets Kyrie & Durant never passed the ball down low to Jarrett Allen to average a double-double.. The Harden trade sent Jarrett Allen to the Cavs big-man coach Bickerstaff, who had two dynamic passing-skills PG in Garland & Sexton in the Cavs rotation. And with the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft the Cavs selected 6.11 Mobley. And now Jarrett & Mobley are making the Cavs the Sleeper team in the EAST .. Thanks to Garland & Rubio offense facilitating Dimes.
It seem like NO PG is good in Randle's starter lineup.. Payton, Rivers, Frank, Smith Jr., Kemba. And fans wonder why D.Rose has refuse to be in the starter lineup for two seasons. D.Rose did that already under Phil Jackson.
Sounds familiar bout our past PF (Melo) !!!

metrocard

Legend

Just a losing player who can't even get respect his own country. What makes you guys think he can survive in New York City?

"I don't think Ben has any passion for the game of basketball. It seems like he was kind of forced into it by his father and since he's an athletic freak it all came very easy for him. He never really had to work to beat the players he was playing against, he could always just rely on his athleticism and size. And obviously that mentality won't ever cut it in the NBA where everyone else is just as talented and physically gifted. I think Ben really loves the lifestyle that being a pro ball player affords him but I think he'd rather just be a celebrity without any of the basketball responsibilities. He has the same demeanor of everyone I've ever known who hates their job but can't leave because it pays too well."

No to Ben Simmons to NYK and I know I'm not the only Knick fan here who strongly agrees with this.

Lillard isn't coming here and if he does, he will be 35-36 at the end of his contract.
We aren't in contention to compete. Lillard would make sense to Philly because Embiid is an alpha who plays both ends. Randle is not. Why would Lillard demote himself? McCollum > Randle and that wasn't enough for Lillard to win a championship. The only teams that makes sense for Dame championship is Clippers/Lakers/Philly. It's too late and will be wasteful for Dame's career to carry yet another sad team into a playoff exit. It's also wasteful for us because instead of building through the draft and free agency....we're doing the same thing we always do when we trade for a star player. Gut the roster, guy doesn't win in NYK within 3 seasons, trade rumors pop up and honeymoon over.

We've love the Knicks for so long to know this. We can see this coming. It's time we shut down these rumors/suggestions because they don't serve us.

Keying into the draft/2022 Free Agency/development of McBride, Grimes, Toppin, Sims, Barrett is what we need.

Yo Kiyaman, stop listing Grimes as a "defensive" player. It was his biggest weakest in Houston. He was drafted for his shooting, not his defense. I know he looks like Landry Fields who was your boy, but he isnt' a defender right now. He can develop and become one, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wsup Dark .. The Ben Simmons trade are heated-up to becoming a 3-team or 4-team trade. I'm hoping the Knicks are in those trades offering our overrate Randle, and our inconsistent non-meshing RJ Barrett to pull Ben Simmons.
As for Randle being a double-double player (Or a 40 min facilitator).
Well the Knicks would have 3 double-double players having Ben Simmons, MitchRob, and 2nd season Obi Toppin in 30 min per game.
Randle has been the Knicks 40 min offensive facilitator for 2 and half season, and I dont recall Randle ever throwing Obi or MitchRob a alley-oop pass. I recall Morris throwing MitchRob alley-oop passes, but not Randle or Barrett. MitchRob situation reminds me of the (15-12) Cavs double-double center Jarrett Allen, When on the Brooklyn Nets Kyrie & Durant never passed the ball down low to Jarrett Allen to average a double-double.. The Harden trade sent Jarrett Allen to the Cavs big-man coach Bickerstaff, who had two dynamic passing-skills PG in Garland & Sexton in the Cavs rotation. And with the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft the Cavs selected 6.11 Mobley. And now Jarrett & Mobley are making the Cavs the Sleeper team in the EAST .. Thanks to Garland & Rubio offense facilitating Dimes.
It seem like NO PG is good in Randle's starter lineup.. Payton, Rivers, Frank, Smith Jr., Kemba. And fans wonder why D.Rose has refuse to be in the starter lineup for two seasons. D.Rose did that already under Phil Jackson.
Sounds familiar bout our past PF (Melo) !!!
Hey Kiya... That trade has to produce move than just Ben Simmons to turn this team around. Getting rid of RJ is a good start but Randle isn't a problem if played correctly. Beside who do we have to replace him with? Yeah, I do think Obi is looking good and is the player with some electricity(Not 'Q' who is a street baller). I'm with you but we have so many other problems because if we do the trade... What about Thib's?? The offense needs to change and he isn't into that and probably doesn't know how to change.
The answer to the whole mess is a top to bottom cleaning house. L.Rose, Perry, all F.O. staff, Thib's and all Asst. coaches. Did you know before Perry came on board that the Knicks had scouting personal just for High School? Jackson and Gaines created it and begin following H.S'er all the way into college. Example - Trier and Dotson were some of the ones they followed in High School. Got this from a very usual source.
MRob is 2 year behind in his development as a player. No Big man coach like I been preaching for the moment we drafted him. Same was true with Eddie Curry after he avg 19pt a game and they let him just go off for the summer. No plan to make him better just like they are doing with MRob.
We could possibly put 5 players on the court that could run and speed the offense up... That a Maybe... remember it about chemistry... Not running up and down the floor with long 3's and flower(yeah, I'm talking about 'Q'). He doesn't fit into a well oiled offense. That isn't his game.
With that being said Kiya... What is the first move? Is it to make the Playoff? or Is it to make a championship team? If it the latter then the first step got to be a HELLVA step.