I still support Fields

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I'm still a fan of Fields, he has a lot of energy and has some potential. For next season I don't see him as a starter, mostly because he needs to prove himself again.

An option I see for the Knicks starting shooting guard is Leandro Barbosa. He is an unrestricted free agent and why wouldn't he sign with the Knicks. He knows D'antoni system, plays good defense, and can score. Barbosa would be a big threat 3rd scoring option.

Fields as a competitor will only work harder and learn from players like Billups, Barbosa and others.

KBlack25

Starter
I'm just not convinced Fields is going to get any better than he is right now. Smart, yes. Decent, yes. Star or even potential all star, I have my doubts...

A rookie no doubt and I like him don't get me wrong, but I have mixed feelings about him.

Landry didn't simply hit the rookie wall, check out his stats after the trade: they are horrid.

He didn't rebound and shot terribly. He lost any handle he had and forced the issue.

He fit better with Gallo and Chandler and Felton, with Amare and Billups he just doesn' seem to fit well.

I do feel Mike threw him to the wolves because this kid was not ready for prime time and even after slumping for that long he still started.

Now everyone realize Chandler cannot come he is a RFA and we are over the cap with the Billups signing. Even though the new CBA is looming we will not be players in FA.

We are limited to our pick and Vet min players this offseason.

Now all that said my hopes rest in trading our pick (we do have to pick the player first by rule) and Landry and pick up Mayo.

Mayo fits this team way better than Landry, he can shoot, create his own shot, play defense and also backup the PG position.

If Donnie can pull that off we will be that much better.

Why would Mayo be available? Money, they just signed Zach and will sign Gasol and don't play Mayo nearly enough to warrant signing him next yr and he's not happy. So Landry will make 880K and we can also give them 3MIL in the trade bearing any changes in the CBA.

Red

TYPE-A
I still like Fields. I think he needs to work on two things this summer.

a) Quick release pull up mid range jumper off the dribble and off the pass. Shot 150 of these a day each.

b) His concentration on the basket when in traffic. It seems he can get there (to the rim) but if he's surrounded by players on the other team he puts up some HORRIBLE looking shots.

Not as important but he could work on his handle some...

Confidence goes a long way in this game (and in most sports).

I was met with opposition from LJ4ptPlay on this when I stated (as Yogi says):

1/2 of the game is 90% mental!

That moniker was on full display with Fields in these playoffs, and why would anyone conclude different?

His skills were absolutely the same, his health was the same, and his experience was greater over time, so logically that leaves one obsevation as to why the drop off...

His confidence has plummeted. As was the case with Gallo, Chandler, and Douglas at some point. The real question is why? I'll offer my take...

Some say its the "spacing" effect of Melo
The implementation of Melo
The "rookie wall"

I say it's a combination of not knowing his role, realizing we aren't an underdog with 2 stars, so the spotlight is there, and he can't fall back on being a rookie when we faught tooth and nail to retain him.

He was probably as scared as any to be traded, made up in his mind he was a goner, and when he was told he wasn't part of the trade he imposed self-pressure knowing he couldn't hide in the background as a player with low expectations.

Him not seizing that opportunity is worrisome. The good news is he's still young. The bad news is maybe he reached his potential and the league has scouted him knowing his weaknesses.

But all in all, I think its a mistake to view him and our squad through the D'Antoni model glasses. Fields was marginal based on this flawed approach- in a conventional system he's a 12mpg bench player even with his three point shooting prowess, he's no starter.

I've learned to not trust D'Antoni's eye for talent and usage of players and to take the numbers produced by his system with a grain of salt.

That said, we MUST subtract or reduce Fields #'s by a certain % to account for this anomoly to really gauge his stats. Instead of a 10&7 line, in reality he's a 7 & 4 guy.

Not exactly starter material, and moreso we must analyze what the players he defended avg'ed. When we look at things from this realistic standpoint, we can't blame Denver for seeing him as the weakest player bt himself and Gallo & Chandler, because its true.

After C, his position is the next priority for upgrade. Those goals CANNOT be accomplished with the D'Antoni goggles on.

Last edited:

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
I like Fields and think he plays an extremely important role on this team. That being said if we can swap him for a proven PG,SG, or C then you do it. If not heres my plan for this offseason.
Sign Dalembert, Trade Ronny and Cash for a Late 1st, Sign Shawne Williams to a fair contract (Said he wants to stay and not demand a lot of cash), Draft Jimmer and Faried with picks (See above), Cut/Buyout Balkman, Let Jeffries, Shelden, and Carter walk. Sign a veteran SF/SG (Grant Hill, Barbosa, Prince,Battier or Diaw.. I think Battier goes back to Memphis same for Diaw with Charlotte), Move Landry to the bench, Bring over Jerome Jordan from Serbia, DEVELOP CHEMISTRY.

C-Dalembert
PF-STAT
SF-Melo
SG-Prince (I know not his normal position, but can still play here)
PG-Chauncey

Bench:

Douglas
Fields
Shawne
Billy Walker
Faried
Jimmer
Jordan

Inactives:
Rautins
Summer Leaguer

The team above is better (though still weak) than last year, and can compete for a 4 seed at least.

I like Fields and think he plays an extremely important role on this team. That being said if we can swap him for a proven PG,SG, or C then you do it. If not heres my plan for this offseason.
Sign Dalembert, Trade Ronny and Cash for a Late 1st, Sign Shawne Williams to a fair contract (Said he wants to stay and not demand a lot of cash), Draft Jimmer and Faried with picks (See above), Cut/Buyout Balkman, Let Jeffries, Shelden, and Carter walk. Sign a veteran SF/SG (Grant Hill, Barbosa, Prince,Battier or Diaw.. I think Battier goes back to Memphis same for Diaw with Charlotte), Move Landry to the bench, Bring over Jerome Jordan from Serbia, DEVELOP CHEMISTRY.

C-Dalembert
PF-STAT
SF-Melo
SG-Prince (I know not his normal position, but can still play here)
PG-Chauncey

Bench:

Douglas
Fields
Shawne
Billy Walker
Faried
Jimmer
Jordan

Inactives:
Rautins
Summer Leaguer

The team above is better (though still weak) than last year, and can compete for a 4 seed at least.

Faried and Fredette? You know that we don't have two first round picks?
And D'Antoni would never pick Faried plus I think Jimmer will be a top 15 pick which puts him out of our reach. And I'd rather have O.J. Mayo via trade than Prince. Mayo is younger, more athletic and a true SG. Plus he fits into D'Antoni's system.

Trade Fields, Walker and cash for Mayo

lineup:

Billups
Mayo
Anthony
Stoudemire
Turiaf or a center we sign via FA.

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
Faried and Fredette? You know that we don't have two first round picks?
And D'Antoni would never pick Faried plus I think Jimmer will be a top 15 pick which puts him out of our reach. And I'd rather have O.J. Mayo via trade than Prince. Mayo is younger, more athletic and a true SG. Plus he fits into D'Antoni's system.

Trade Fields, Walker and cash for Mayo

lineup:

Billups
Mayo
Anthony
Stoudemire
Turiaf or a center we sign via FA.

Reread my post as to why we get 2 1st rounders. I said :alert:(See above). :alert:

I doubt Memphis would do that trade but I wouldnt mind it. Also D'Antoni is the coach not the GM, Donnie makes the picks and I know hes looking into the future. You think D'Antoni really said lets pick that boy Landry Fields out of Stanford. Come on now. All Donnie All Day.

Reread my post as to why we get 2 1st rounders. I said :alert:(See above). :alert:

I doubt Memphis would do that trade but I wouldnt mind it. Also D'Antoni is the coach not the GM, Donnie makes the picks and I know hes looking into the future. You think D'Antoni really said lets pick that boy Landry Fields out of Stanford. Come on now. All Donnie All Day.

Yeah sorry man saw that with the pick after I posted my thoughts.

Regarding Mayo: Memphis wanted to trade him for Josh McRoberts before the deadline, it was almost a done deal...and Walker plus Fields is a better package than just McRoberts. So why not?

And regarding D'Ant and Walsh, sure Walsh picks the players, but he won't pick a player D'Ant doesn't want. Remember the flop with Hill for Jennings in 09? Apparrently it was D'Ant who wanted Hill over Jennings...and Faried is definitely not D'Ant's typ of player...can't shoot, can't dribble, too good at rebounding and defending :smokin:
I'd love to draft him, but I'm sure Walsh wouldn't pick him to be inactive for 72 games of the season because D'Ant doesn't like him.

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
Yeah sorry man saw that with the pick after I posted my thoughts.

Regarding Mayo: Memphis wanted to trade him for Josh McRoberts before the deadline, it was almost a done deal...and Walker plus Fields is a better package than just McRoberts. So why not?

And regarding D'Ant and Walsh, sure Walsh picks the players, but he won't pick a player D'Ant doesn't want. Remember the flop with Hill for Jennings in 09? Apparrently it was D'Ant who wanted Hill over Jennings...and Faried is definitely not D'Ant's typ of player...can't shoot, can't dribble, too good at rebounding and defending :smokin:
I'd love to draft him, but I'm sure Walsh wouldn't pick him to be inactive for 72 games of the season because D'Ant doesn't like him.

Yeah I didnt mean to sound viscious just a slow day at work and there was nothing going on in the sports world haha. I just hope that the Knicks can get some cheap vets with young guys and surprise us. I honestly didnt see the Knicks roster being the way it was last year and Im sure I wont predict this years squad either. I just need some banter on this board because Im dying here at work.