Knick team defense???

Why do the Knicks funnel players towards the baseline when its easier to help if you funnel them towards the middle? Basic defensive strategies like this I learned in HS.

Paul1355

All Star
Why do the Knicks funnel players towards the baseline when its easier to help if you funnel them towards the middle? Basic defensive strategies like this I learned in HS.
dont know...good point...i feel like most things I learned in highschool and in streetball are not even used on Mike D's teams.

Basic fundamentals sometimes don't exist in the NBA these days.

Kinda funny. Right after I posted this STAT over plays the baseline funneling Landry to the middle. He gets help. Landry passes cross court for a three point shot. The guy made it. Later in the game same situation funnels him towards the middle, STAT gets help from a guard up top and Landry forces an ugly shot that he missed. Much better results.

Earlier in the game all the Sacramento players were beating our defense right to the baseline for easy layups. I'm just glad they finally adjusted. Hopefully it sticks...

Paul1355

All Star
Kinda funny. Right after I posted this STAT over plays the baseline funneling Landry to the middle. He gets help. Landry passes cross court for a three point shot. The guy made it. Later in the game same situation funnels him towards the middle, STAT gets help from a guard up top and Landry forces an ugly shot that he missed. Much better results.

Earlier in the game all the Sacramento players were beating our defense right to the baseline for easy layups. I'm just glad they finally adjusted. Hopefully it sticks...

Landry is the smartest player we have.

Mike D is a fool drawing up highschool plays on his stupid white board.

iJoe

Rotation player
Seriously.... If some of you just looked up some defensive schemes or even watched elite defensive teams like the Spurs you would know that funneling the ball baseline is also one of the most basic defensive principles.

The baseline acts like a second defender. One of the things Popovich preaches most is: Keep ball-handlers out of the middle of the lane; funnel them baseline into the arms of their shot-blockers; and don’t give up open 3-pointers from the corners.

Granted, there are many cases where you do want to funnel the ball to the middle. This is more true with poor ball handlers/passers or if you don't have any good shot blockers and need more help defense and draw charges.

Each coach has their tendencies, but accusing Dantoni of being an idiot for running a defensive scheme almost every team in the NBA employs at some time is just idiocy. At least do some research before jumping on the "blame the coach" bandwagon.

Kiyaman

Legend
Seriously.... If some of you just looked up some defensive schemes or even watched elite defensive teams like the Spurs you would know that funneling the ball baseline is also one of the most basic defensive principles.

The baseline acts like a second defender. One of the things Popovich preaches most is: Keep ball-handlers out of the middle of the lane; funnel them baseline into the arms of their shot-blockers; and don?t give up open 3-pointers from the corners.

Granted, there are many cases where you do want to funnel the ball to the middle. This is more true with poor ball handlers/passers or if you don't have any good shot blockers and need more help defense and draw charges.

Each coach has their tendencies, but accusing Dantoni of being an idiot for running a defensive scheme almost every team in the NBA employs at some time is just idiocy. At least do some research before jumping on the "blame the coach" bandwagon.

u r a big-big Dantoni Fan right? yeah your response prove that.

Coach Popovich knows what teams to use certain defensive methods on, and
what teams have weak slashers down the middle. The Spurs has always put a
defensive center or PF in their lineup with Duncan to provide tight coverage in
the middle, especially in the 4th quarter.

All teams could put up a decent defensive-zone to cover the middle however,
the strategies in playing a defensive-zone with top defensive players has to
be change vs Kobe/Odom/Gasol tri-fector, and changed again vs
KG/Pierce/Ray, and then changed again vs Duncan/Ginobli/Parker, and no
mater how much u change a well played zone-defense the NBA added players
like Nash/CP3/Deron/and now Rondo making it easy to break it down to
"man on man" coverage by dribbling low into the paint to kick it out.

Dantoni and brother Dan coaching style is clueless on how to develope a
"team defensive system" that improves in time vs the various different teams.
If u want to watch the best performing defensive teams in the NBA, watch
the Orlando Magic and the young OKC Thunders best offense from defense.

Toons

is the Bo$$

The baseline acts like a second defender. One of the things Popovich preaches most is: Keep ball-handlers out of the middle of the lane; funnel them baseline into the arms of their shot-blockers; and don?t give up open 3-pointers from the corners.

dont worry, some fanboys here spew whatever garbage comes to their minds....its getting frickin annoying.

the man is an accomplished NBA HEAD COACH. you really think you know more than him?
Just sit back and watch the offensive genius of Mike Dantoni

Paul1355

All Star
dont worry, some fanboys here spew whatever garbage comes to their minds....its getting frickin annoying.

the man is an accomplished NBA HEAD COACH. you really think you know more than him?
Just sit back and watch the offensive genius of Mike Dantoni
your offensive genius still gives the ball to Amare 20 feet away from the basket, oh yea and they just loves to chuck three point shots with horrible shot selection, oh yea that is the best game plan ever

We have to drive to the hoop and get foul shots, we shouldn't brick so much if he really was a "genius" LMAO how can anyone even say that anymore with a straight face?

iJoe

Rotation player
u r a big-big Dantoni Fan right? yeah your response prove that.

Coach Popovich knows what teams to use certain defensive methods on, and
what teams have weak slashers down the middle. The Spurs has always put a
defensive center or PF in their lineup with Duncan to provide tight coverage in
the middle, especially in the 4th quarter.

All teams could put up a decent defensive-zone to cover the middle however,
the strategies in playing a defensive-zone with top defensive players has to
be change vs Kobe/Odom/Gasol tri-fector, and changed again vs
KG/Pierce/Ray, and then changed again vs Duncan/Ginobli/Parker, and no
mater how much u change a well played zone-defense the NBA added players
like Nash/CP3/Deron/and now Rondo making it easy to break it down to
"man on man" coverage by dribbling low into the paint to kick it out.

Dantoni and brother Dan coaching style is clueless on how to develope a
"team defensive system" that improves in time vs the various different teams.
If u want to watch the best performing defensive teams in the NBA, watch
the Orlando Magic and the young OKC Thunders best offense from defense.

If I could understand your argument, I would respond. How about actually responding to my posts instead of quoting them and going off on some weird tangent no one can understand.

Its FACT (actual definition fact, not kiyaman fact) that just about all NBA teams funnel to the baseline at some point or another. Its one of the easiest places to trap someone.

I didn't say Dantoni was brilliant. I just said to accuse him of doing something EVERY OTHER TEAM does and claim hes an idiot for it is sheer ignorance. Dantoni has a ton of weaknesses as a coach, but the least you can do is actually accuse him of the right ones :teeth:

Toons

is the Bo$$
your offensive genius still gives the ball to Amare 20 feet away from the basket, oh yea and they just loves to chuck three point shots with horrible shot selection, oh yea that is the best game plan ever

We have to drive to the hoop and get foul shots, we shouldn't brick so much if he really was a "genius" LMAO how can anyone even say that anymore with a straight face?

OK PAUL, i once thought u had sense....but ur proving me wrong....
Amare is supposed to get the ball 20 ft away from the basket....it pulls slower pfs out of the paint, creates spacing, and allows him to face up, seeing how he isnt a real back to the basket scorer. I feel 20 ft is a good spot for amare, thats where he got it from nash.....at the elbows. Amare also has a good jump shot, i shouldnt even explain, u wont understand anyway.
You think chucking and having bad shot selection is the GAME PLAN? idiot. Yeah, mike goes in the huddle and says
''shoot only bad shots, oh and just throw up any 3 point shot u have''
Paul, your comments are wrong on so many levels....we should brick so much if he was a genius? really? the coach controls the trajectory of the ball and if it goes in the net or not?
if the 3's were falling everyone would be quiet.

oh, and my sig is better than yours...

Sure you can funnel a player towards the baseline "WHEN YOU HAVE HELP THERE". I've watched the Knicks give up layup after layup to players going baseline because the other team is running plays to keep them from helping on the baseline. The easiest way to get help in basketball is to overplay the baseline this way the guards can trap down when a player heads for the middle. Thats your first line of defense. If the player splits that you can have your bigs clogging the paint.

Giving up the baseline is much harder to defend. The stats prove it. Why do you think we're giving up 108 pts a game?

Paul1355

All Star
OK PAUL, i once thought u had sense....but ur proving me wrong....
Amare is supposed to get the ball 20 ft away from the basket....it pulls slower pfs out of the paint, creates spacing, and allows him to face up, seeing how he isnt a real back to the basket scorer. I feel 20 ft is a good spot for amare, thats where he got it from nash.....at the elbows. Amare also has a good jump shot, i shouldnt even explain, u wont understand anyway.
You think chucking and having bad shot selection is the GAME PLAN? idiot. Yeah, mike goes in the huddle and says
''shoot only bad shots, oh and just throw up any 3 point shot u have''
Paul, your comments are wrong on so many levels....we should brick so much if he was a genius? really? the coach controls the trajectory of the ball and if it goes in the net or not?
if the 3's were falling everyone would be quiet.

oh, and my sig is better than yours...
lol your sig motivated me to write my sig so thanks for that

Toons, you believe my sarcasm to be realistic, maybe i need to question your IQ, Mike D obviosuly doesnt say "guys take bad shots and play no defense" but like Amare once said which u honestly cant deny because it was Amare's own words and he was referring to Mike D and there are news articles on it...."He never taught us defense" referring to Mike D never teaching defense when he coached the Suns.

I have heard him say before, "let's stop the ball"

Ok but if you don't teach fundamentals, these idiot players forget them and start chucking. Mike D not accusing people for their mistakes hurts us because guys still tend to brick shots, no defense, etc.

The only thing he ever talks about in post game shows is that we didnt take enough shots and the defense hit their shots, or we didnt make shot. Its all focused on shots, he coached his game to excite people with a fast paced offense, it is not always working when you are not a good teacher.

The only good listener/player I give credit to is guys like Dwight Howard who go out and train with hall of fame players like Olajuwan to improve their game and I give Phil Weber a huge nod because he has Amare, who is a workaholic in the gym and Weber was able to teach Amare a way to mentally help him to knock down his mid range jumper and helped him on the form of his shot. Teachers! Who can improve our players....TOONS

Mike D doesnt teach, he instantly demands his style or no style at all. He yells at the refs, puts on a show sometimes purposely, he is hard on the young players like Douglas and ignores stupid plays by Gallo, he has his favorites, he is over rated. People all over agree Toons....

I am glad to where we are as a team. 8-8 is fantastic but we all know that 6 game losing streak could have easily been avoided with better coaching.

Id rather us win than lose all these games now because I see our players just have the energy to win and Mike D doesnt help with energy, the players motivate each other.

Mike gets 6 million a year when he doesn't deserve half.