Marcus Cousin

finestrg

Rotation player
Hey, how are you SoCal? Disappointed the Knicks didn't even bother to give Cousin a look at all anytime this year..What are ya gonna do? Time to move on I guess..

My initial plan going back weeks ago was to grab Cousin AND Jeff Adrien if Adrien became available (I think he will, unless GS turns around now and gives him a similar commitment to the one the Rockets just gave Cousin)..TOGETHER, those two would've satisfied the immediate need for height, rebounding and some more-than decent support for the interior, all on the cheap..Two good players (D-League all-stars this year in fact) that we could've gotten for a very good price..Adrien remains a possibility for me until I see otherwise..

Two other DL standouts, SF/PF DeShawn Sims and PG Curtis Stinson, are also players I find very intriging for us -- here are two guys we could probably add at a very reasonable price that could really go a long way in improving our bench play for next year...Sims I kinda look at as an even better version of Wilson Chandler and a guy that could slide into Shawne Williams' role if Williams commands too much money to return this offseason which I think could be a very real possibility...And Stinson, the best PG in the DL by far, is a guy, if I could get him cheap, I wouldn't mind seeing next year in the Anthony Carter role if Carter isn't retained for the same reason as Williams..Dude's got nice size for a PG (6'3", 215), he's tough and strong, very good passer/orchestrator/assist man, very good penetrator, decent mid-range shot and he plays defense..This guy reminds me of Chauncey Billups of a few years ago just w/o the 3-pt range..

With Cousin, Adrien, Sims and Stinson all in tow on the cheap (with Billups re-signed and TD still his understudy/scoring guard off the bench), I would've been prepared to switch gears away from a big and a PG in the draft and look long and hard at 6'5" Providence SG Marshon Brooks --- firepower off the bench, a nice contrast to what Fields brings to the position which is great, only problem is Fields might eventually price himself right out of our plans -- it wouldn't surprise me to see Landry demand and get something close to what Wes Matthews Jr got from the Blazers this past offseason. A contract like that, which basically amounts to a full MLE-type deal, might be too rich for our blood. This is why I'd like to get a good 2G in this draft if I could, provided I found other ways to plug holes up front...We have decent depth on paper right now at the 2 but that could change in a hurry: someone could sign Fields to a crazy offer sheet at the end of next year and steal him away; Mason's gone; so is Billy Walker I'm thinking; Rautins could be packaged with cash for a 2nd pick-----there could suddenly be a big hole at the 2 within the next year or two. I think Brooks could fit the bill nicely...2nd leading scorer in the nation behind Fredette..He went for over 50 against Notre Dame and over 40 against G-Town this year..One-man gang on a terrible Providence team that managed something like 25 ppg on over 48% from the floor in probably the toughest conference in the NCAA---damn impressive considering that production came with other teams' defenses solely predicated and focused on stopping him...And what I like most: if you watched him closely, he's more than just a good scorer. He can handle the ball well and set up teammates, he rebounds well for an off-guard with his decent height and long arms and he can play some defense (over 7 rpg, over 1 steal & 1 block per as well). This guy doesn't get any love in any of the mocks out there but I think he's real good NBA-ready value around 17, 18 in this draft..

But now that Cousin's off the table and say if GS or someone else signs Jeff Adrien, then I might have to go for a big man...Not many legit Cs that will be there when we pick (I was high on Keith Benson at one point but not so much anymore) but there are several PFs that can help us: Ken Faried & Maryland's Jordan Williams are probably the two best rebounders in this draft; JaJuan Johnson looks like a good all-around PF...I like Tristan Thompson's defense/toughness/upside (dude reminds me of a young Buck Williams) and Georgia's Trey Thompkins is very polished offensively...

With Cousin no longer a possibility I might draw up my wish list like this now:

1. Sign C Jerome Jordan, Jeff Adrien, DeShawn Sims, Curtis Stinson all to reasonable deals to fill out the bench (500-800K range?)

2. Draft either Faried or Jordan Williams OR 2G Marshon Brooks if I can get the rebounding/size somewhere else

3. Jump all over shooter Jon Diebler with a camp invite if he goes undrafted, esp if we part ways with Rautins who as of right now is under contract for next year but who knows..I think this dude's the best shooter in the nation and he has good height..He'd be fine replacement for the inconsistent Bill Walker.

4. If we draft a big and don't consider a guy like Brooks at off-guard, maybe give 6'6" SG Sylven Landesberg a shot if he's available...I liked him a lot last year and I know Mike had him in for a workout -- Virginia SG went undrafted and went to go play overseas (in Israel I believe) but he should be available to NBA teams again this summer. I doubt he signed anything longer than a 1-year deal to go play there... 6'6" AD Vassallo is another guy I'd look at if he's available. Former VA Tech SG is very smooth and a very good shooter..I think he's in France right now and playing well..Like Landesberg, he most likely makes himself available to NBA teams this offseason...

As of right now, and it's early--we'll have to see how the Combine and individual workouts go, it's all about filling in around Amar'e and Melo now at all positions (I want improved rebounding, a better C alternative than what we have now and more wing depth)..I wanna see us strenghten the bench and come up with potential replacements so we're not left without a chair when the music stops at some key positions. I'd like to accomplish this w/o blowing all my cap flexibility this summer so I can make a serious run at 2012 FAs, specifically Chris Paul..

Gimmie your thoughts SoCal -- what direction do you see us going with things this offseason?

Last edited:

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
Finest, I really appreciate all the in depth detail you went into of all the players you listed, along with explanations that went along with it.

I really found it very informative, and again I love it when Draftniks like yourself and others, share that kind of information with this message board.

I wish I could say I knew the D league players and college players like yourself and many others but I don't.

I will try and give you my take on what direction I would like to see the Knicks go the best way I can. It just won't be as good and in depth as yours. lol

Well I truly hope we get a big man in the middle by draft or free agency. I know a lot of people here like Gasol, but to be honest I really don't. I personally like DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler more than Gasol. (JMI)

I also wouldn't mind like yourself drafting Kenneth Faried or Jordan Williams who I actually did get to see play and I did like what I saw in both. We could use all the help we can in the low post and to grab some boards and I think they would fit the bill.

I guess the million dollar question also will be if the Knicks resign Billups. If they don't it will be real interesting as to what plan the Knicks have up there sleeves as far as the guard position.

I am glad you wrote down some of the names of the PGs and SGs who you thought might help, because in all honesty other than Walker and Fredette I truly didn't have any idea. Of course I could say Irving, but I knew we wouldn't have a realistic shot at getting him.

I will definitely be paying more attention to the names you threw out.

So again I appreciate all the names and observations of all the players info you gave me and I will have to give you a rep point as soon as I'm done writing this.

Last but not least if you ever get a chance, I would love your input on both Marcus and Markieff Morris of Kansas, because they are both players I also got to see play and I liked what I saw, and they were also players I was hoping the Knicks would target.

Kiyaman

Legend
If we had two decent bigmen-coaches on our staff..... grabbing Cousins
wouldve been a priority bigman-project for practice sessions to work with
the 2nd round draft product Jerome Jordan this season as our 14th and
15th man on the roster. Their services (roles) wouldve came valuable
late in the season.

I still dont understand why we did'nt FIRE Dantoni after lastseason
embarrassing Christmas game in 2009. We had healthy rental players
on our roster in their final season contract wanting playingtime to give
110% effort to raise their FA value sitting in Dantoni's DNP doghouse.

finestrg

Rotation player
Finest, I really appreciate all the in depth detail you went into of all the players you listed, along with explanations that went along with it.

I really found it very informative, and again I love it when Draftniks like yourself and others, share that kind of information with this message board.

I wish I could say I knew the D league players and college players like yourself and many others but I don't.

I will try and give you my take on what direction I would like to see the Knicks go the best way I can. It just won't be as good and in depth as yours. lol

Well I truly hope we get a big man in the middle by draft or free agency. I know a lot of people here like Gasol, but to be honest I really don't. I personally like DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler more than Gasol. (JMI)

I also wouldn't mind like yourself drafting Kenneth Faried or Jordan Williams who I actually did get to see play and I did like what I saw in both. We could use all the help we can in the low post and to grab some boards and I think they would fit the bill.

I guess the million dollar question also will be if the Knicks resign Billups. If they don't it will be real interesting as to what plan the Knicks have up there sleeves as far as the guard position.

I am glad you wrote down some of the names of the PGs and SGs who you thought might help, because in all honesty other than Walker and Fredette I truly didn't have any idea. Of course I could say Irving, but I knew we wouldn't have a realistic shot at getting him.

I will definitely be paying more attention to the names you threw out.

So again I appreciate all the names and observations of all the players info you gave me and I will have to give you a rep point as soon as I'm done writing this.

Last but not least if you ever get a chance, I would love your input on both Marcus and Markieff Morris of Kansas, because they are both players I also got to see play and I liked what I saw, and they were also players I was hoping the Knicks would target.

Thanks for the kind words. It's a pleasure to be posting on this board with nice folks like yourself..

DeAndre Jordan, Ty Chandler and Marc Gasol are all good players (and I agree, if I had to chose from all 3 it would be Jordan, Chandler and Gasol in that order---just not as high on Gasol as some are I guess) but to be honest, I wouldn't blow a ton of money on any of those guys..I'd prefer to keep a bulk of my salary flexibility open for the following summer of 2012 when many good players will be available, better than Marc Gasol...I kinda like the idea of bringing back Chauncey for his entire $14.2M option just for next year as a bridge that will get us to the following summer when guys like Paul, D-Will, Ray Felton even Billups will be available, if he'd like to stay (and we'd have a better leg to stand on in terms of evaluating just where Chauncey is in his career...What if we tie him up now for cheaper money long-term but he breaks down permanently??). Picking up Billups' option for next year hurts cap flexibility for next year only, not beyond that...It's probably no longer realistic but my thinking was if I could've secured Marcus Cousin & Jeff Adrien together, there wouldn't have been a need to pay bigger money for a DeAndre Jordan or a Marc Gasol...

If we pick up Billups' full kicker that should put us right at the cap, give or take..If the new CBA stays more or less the same, it's my understanding that we'd be able to exceed the cap for additional 2nd round picks we could acquire and/or minimum salary players (not for an additional 1st rounder though --- the cap room would have to be there to allocate for an additional 1st)...This is where some of these superior DL guys come in...

DeShawn Sims, Jeff Adrien (if GS doesn't retain him--they'll have first crack), Curtis Stinson, possibly even Sean Williams...Nothing at all wrong with adding these types of players to bulster the roster on the cheap..And we can exceed the cap in order to do so..

To be honest, I'm not sure there's much seperation between Marcus and Markieff Morris..They're both decent players who could fit here and slide into the Wilson Chandler/Shawne Williams role (I can't wait to see what Shawne Williams asks for coming off the good year where he's basically resurrected his career) but if I can find an alternative for cheaper (say a DeShawn Sims for 500-700K), I wouldn't be as interested in drafting that type of guy. This is where I hope they have a gameplan in place..Hopefully they have all their weaknesses identified and start with the most cost effective ways to fill those needs first and then go from there:

- A legit skilled C: I wanted Marcus Cousin, now I'll have to hope that Jerome Jordan is semi-ready for the NBA. Cousin looked like he was to me.

- A skilled 3/4 off the bench to spell Melo if S. Williams and Walker aren't brought back: DeShawn Sims. Joe Alexander really had a nice year in the DL. He's another possibility

- A skilled 3rd PG to back up Billups and TD for next year if Anthony Carter isn't brought back: Curtis Stinson

- A rotation rebounder/backup big (basically a replacement/upgrade over Jeffries & Shelden Williams): Jeff Adrien would be my pick, again, if he's available. GS may decide they want to retain him and make him an offer..maybe give Sean Williams another shot in the NBA. Maybe purchase a 2nd rounder and grab Rick Jackson...If I can't fill this need going the cost-effective route, I'd probably use the 1st rounder on a rebounding big like Faried or Jordan Williams first (1 & 1a), JaJuan Johnson, Trey Thompkins (skilled but not a great rebounder which concerns me), Tristan Thompson (who really should go back to school to improve his stock. Only a freshman, this guy could be a lottery pick next year..I'd be surprised if he declared esp with the possibility of a lockout), etc...

- Some more wing depth in case Williams, Walker, Mason Jr and/or Rautins don't return and in case Landry Fields signs a crazy offer sheet the following summer: Draft Marshon Brooks, Sign FAs Sylven Landesberg/AD Vassallo, acquire a 2nd rounder and think about drafting a Chandler Parsons (long, smart, underrated) or a Jon Diebler (tremendous 3-pt shooter at 6'6").

Just some ideas...No need to spend big bucks this offseason..I think we can plug a lot of holes on the cheap..

Last edited: