The Grizzlies just proved we DON'T need a top point guard

I never said that, but thing is, they've been beating tough teams before the Playoffs. Not just the Spurs. The Grizzlies are a problem for anyone.
But their not going to win the championship even though i would much rather see them win it then anyone else in the Western Confernce. We want to be title contenders not a team like the Hawks that gets eliminated every year.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
But their not going to win the championship even though i would much rather see them win it then anyone else in the Western Confernce. We want to be title contenders not a team that is probably going to get eliminated every year.
The Grizzlies play team ball, have Tony Allen, play defense, etc.

See, if we had a beast front court (DeAndre, Dalembert), we'd have something the Grizzlies don't have, Melo. Put defensive role players around these guys and you wouldn't need a top point guard. Something would be SERIOUSLY wrong with our coaching if we couldn't compete for a championship.

Last edited:
The Bulls, Rockets.
Lol which point guard can't win a championship with that Bulls roster though i guess your right about the Rockets. I know what you mean about just having an average pg and center but i just don't think we can win a championship with that. I think that we need a pg like CP3 and then an average center.

The Grizzlies play team ball, have Tony Allen, play defense, etc.

See, if we had a beast front court (DeAndre, Dalembert), we'd have something the Grizzlies doesn't have, Melo. Put defensive role players around these guys and you wouldn't need a top point guard. Something would be SERIOUSLY wrong with our coaching if we couldn't compete for a championship.

I guess your right but who knows if we can even afford Deandre or Dalembert or defensive role players.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I guess your right but who knows if we can even afford Deandre or Dalembert or defensive role players.
I think we could get at least guys like Reggie Evans (don't know about his defense), who's very good, great at rebounding is seems. I dunno.

How much do you think Hayes will go for? I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a nice fat check if he really is that good at defending centers.

I think we could get at least guys like Reggie Evans (don't know about his defense), who's very good, great at rebounding is seems. I dunno.

How much do you think Hayes will go for? I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a nice fat check if he really is that good at defending centers.
Idk he's was getting 1M per year in Houston so maybe like 3M? Maybe we can get Kris Humphries if he asks for too much.

petescud

Starter
I think if we had the Grizzles coach we wouldn't need appoint guard. With Dantoni you will need a good point

We don't need a top Pg but we
need a good enough one to set
up our big men and handle the ball.
Also Memphis has way better passing
Big Men and play through the high post
with back door cuts. I don't think their
team is championship material unless Gasol/Mayo
/Conley develop further and better.

But for our offense we would need at least
a pg capable of 17pts 8-9ast 1-2stls
funny we had one like that in Felton and
shipped him for Billups.

clumsy

Rotation player
U need a top point guard to win the Championship....

Again its not about winning a round or winning the conference...

we want a title.

Completely false statement. Titles are usually won by the team with the most size. If your PG is your best player you will most undoubtedly lose.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Completely false statement. Titles are usually won by the team with the most size. If your PG is your best player you will most undoubtedly lose.

but..

you can have a team w alot of size and still have your PG be your best player. you can win that way in the League.

clumsy

Rotation player
but..

you can have a team w alot of size and still have your PG be your best player. you can win that way in the League.

Please cite an example other than Isiah Thomas.....

I don't think that has happened in 25+ years except once. PG is the most overrated position in my opinion. People love PG's i think because most humans are there size. The reality is big men are the ones that win it in the end..

One reason i think D'Antoni's system is flawed.

clumsy

Rotation player
To break it down further look at this year. There is a common theme about most playoff teams still playing. It's the front Court.

Boston - Ridiculous amount of former allstars/superstars in the front court.
Bulls - Booze/Noah
Lakers - Gasol, Odom, Bynum
Griz - Z-Bo, Gas
OKC - Ibaka, and perkins for D, Collision as their Jared Jeffries
Miami - exception due to Lebron
ATL - Josh Smith, Jason Collins to play Defense
Dallas - They have size for defense in T Chandler, and Dirk Is Dirk. good backup in Haywood.

Size means better defense. Come the playoffs when they allow more contact so it only helps your team to be bigger. In all of these they have one good/great offensive Big Man paired with defensive Bigs. Either a tandem of defensive bigs or one guy who can get stops. Not ronny turiaf who as much as i like his game is just undersized.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Please cite an example other than Isiah Thomas.....

I don't think that has happened in 25+ years except once. PG is the most overrated position in my opinion. People love PG's i think because most humans are there size. The reality is big men are the ones that win it in the end..

One reason i think D'Antoni's system is flawed.

I said you can win that way. I didn't say it happens all of the time and I also didn't say we didn't need more bigs.

Also are the Bulls not the perfect example of my point?? MVP PG and some good bigs, w a well rounded team.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
You can win with your PG as your best player. Just because it hasn't happened often doesn't mean it can't again. Size is overrated. Heart, skill, and a good amount of good teammates can win it all. Everybody needs to think outside the box.

Our team doesn't need our best player to be a PG though, that's for sure. Mike needs to let go if his prized system.