Utah / NYK enter D-Mitch trade talks

mafra

Legend
According to Sham slightly different report but talks were certainly real. My take is Ainge was using us all along to drive Mitchell?s price up. Cavs interest in Sexton was mentioned WAY BACK IN JULY!!!

KO community probably already discussed this but no way was any team paying less than the price of Gobert for Mitchell and Knicks would?ve been completely out of their minds trying to make such a deal

With that being said I rarely if ever speak on pipe dream deals rumors for star players when it comes to this franchise. We?re still trying to starphuck our way to success. The key is to try and get players before they blow up or when their stock is low and there?s still upside such as DeJounte Murray or Demantis Sabonis?more importantly curate and develop our own talent into premier players FOR KEEPS!!!

The news doesn?t bother me much?still question how our front office is positioned against the rest of the league, I feel they?re still relatively Mid and Conservative overall

Yeah, it was an even better match (CLE) when you consider that Ainge wanted players and picks. The idea he wanted 6-7 picks was why media talking heads felt NYK was all alone in this negotiation.

CLE doesn?t need Sexton and LM, with the emergence of Garland and Mobley?. Hurts NY more romper with their young assets? So, with Ainge looking for 3-4 unprotected firsts plus 3 players?. Cavs were always front runner B to NYK front runner A.

Also, reports are with all things equal, DA preferred to send him off Broadway, and keep him out of NY.. for many reasons.

They gave away their first round pick this year (kid from Kansas), plus 3 unprotected 1st rounders, plus 2 pick swaps, plus 2 players younger than 26?.

For NYK to match, they wanted RJ, Grimes, Toppin?. Plus 3 unprotected picks plus 2 pick swaps?. That?s a steep price to pay and I am glad they passed.

I thought LAK was the key, bc with their 2 picks?. That?s 4 that Utah wanted.

I think Ainge is insane banking on those CLE picks. DM might walk but they could be good regardless with Garland, Mobley, Allen and potentially LeBron.

I would love for NYK to send Cam, Rose, Evan to Lakers for RW and their 2027 first and try to get a swap for 2029.

I trust RW more than DR to be that closer and stay healthy and those LAK picks could be gold. Plus, it will burn Ainge if Knicks walk way with those picks.

Best case scenario is kids develop and show real progress and they still net a top 5 pick? all while snagging those LAK picks.

Word is LAK likes Cam? we shall see?

Still, Leon betting on his draft picks? he better be right otherwise he made 2 boners?. Drafting wrong guys then failing to self evaluate, and selling high to get an all star.

Still, if they make the deal it?s typical crap NYK have done since 1987. You signed Brunson and put faith in kids? DM would?ve taken the spotlight and the ball from them.

Broadway

All Star
Wsup Kiya... "A BUM ain't right".... WELL.... The only I can say nice about RJ Barrett is that he is victim of campaign to make him 'A Star at all Cost'. At WHO's COST?? None of these 'COST' were given to Frank, Knox's, Dotson or Trier to name a few. None of those mention came with a HIGH price tag as RJ. A #3 overall First round pick was used to draft from what the above article say's.... And I'm quoting... "a decent but not top-of-the-line player".

One of the problems that I have with some in this forum is the value they place or put on a #3 overall pick. That pick IMO is Transformative Territory and Move the Needle player. That isn't happening!! That isn't going to happen!! in regard to RJ. So there are those IMO think that where he was drafted doesn't matter. Always wishing for Great Expectations (Next Year or when he turns 25) for him.

As someone said "I didn't draft RJ"!! I owe RJ... NOTHING... repeat NOTHING!! I don't like what Mills/Perry/L. Rose has done when it came to RJ. If RJ had ever EARNED something, then may I could look at it differently. Ski said it not RJ fault that he was given everything. And what was he suppose to do?? I agree... That the case 'Then justify the things GIVEN. That haven't been done.

Your post is so inflammatorily wreckless towards RJ. Define ?AT ALL COST?

1) He?s been benched on multiple occasions and minutes reduced by Thibs for his play albeit short lived as a Knick(because he played his way out of it)

2) He?s been coupled/platooned with 2 players on the team who will play a LIONS SHARE of minutes having large deals?meaning he won?t and can?t rock out at will and they value other players just as much

3) He wasn?t given a true Max deal?didn?t get 5yrs and didn?t have anything built in for Super Max incentives meanwhile his college teammate Zion did?

I wonder how you math 4yrs $120mil vs 5yrs $193-231mil. What kind of cost would that be?

4) He was included in a deal for who many perceive as a Top 20 player(which means he?s coveted by others and played himself into value)?they didn?t leave him out of the deal, that Sir would be an ALL COST move

The Knicks have not handed him the keys to this franchise, they have not placed undue pressure upon him to be anything more than he is, which is one heckuva player even if he doesn?t suit your fancy

I mean some of our fans spew some ridiculous nonsense concerning this team and it?s players?

Get A Clue Buy A Vowel!!!

Last edited:
Your post is so inflammatorily wreckless towards RJ. Define ?AT ALL COST?

1) He?s been benched on multiple occasions and minutes reduced by Thibs for his play albeit short lived as a Knick(because he played his way out of it)

2) He?s been coupled/platooned with 2 players on the team who will play a LIONS SHARE of minutes having large deals?meaning he won?t and can?t rock out at will and they value other players just as much

3) He wasn?t given a true Max deal?didn?t get 5yrs and didn?t have anything built in for Super Max incentives meanwhile his college teammate Zion did?

I wonder how you math 4yrs $120mil vs 5yrs $193-231mil. What kind of cost would that be?

4) He was included in a deal for who many perceive as a Top 20 player(which means he?s coveted by others and played himself into value)?they didn?t leave him out of the deal, that Sir would be an ALL COST move

The Knicks have not handed him the keys to this franchise, they have not placed undue pressure upon him to be anything more than he is, which is one heckuva player even if he doesn?t suit your fancy

I mean some of our fans spew some ridiculous nonsense concerning this team and it?s players?

Get A Clue Buy A Vowel!!!

This ain't Wheel of Fortune... And You ain't Pat Sajak!! I have more than a Damn Clue... I know the value of a #3 overall pick in the NBA draft and what it should produce!!! It obvious you don't because if you did, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

My definition of RJ is what I see in his performance. Unlike you I happen to be honest in my evaluation.

"At All Cost"... You ever made a HUGE MISTAKE?? Tried to cover it up?? Did everything you could to show everybody how great a decision you made and look at what it doing? An example(just one) of "At All Cost"... Let's start at the being when he goes thru preseason practices and games and the 1st game of the season 'He is the starting PG'. It was a disaster. Then RJ is moved to the SG. How is that possible?? If you know anything about BB(or Real BB) you look at the situation(s). There are at least 5 NBA player with experience on RJ but he wins NOT ONE but TWO STARTING POSITIONS(PG AND SG). See Broadway this not only give me a clue but it tell a very bad story.

Your #1 is a LIE... first of all he shouldn't be starting... secondly if you are playing badly(He does all the time) then you should be benched... In his case down near the water boy. Played his way out... That means you have to be given(not EARNED) minutes while you play out of a slump. "AT THE COST OF THE TEAM"??

#2. I don't understand what you are saying in this statement. Do you know what the word platoon means?? What 2 players are you speaking of?? Ok "He won't and can't rock out at will"... He shouldn't and why should he... He has never showed the ability to lead or shown leadership.

#3. He didn't deserve a deal at ALL!! PERIOD
My math starts and end with ZERO.

#4. RJ was only valuable to stupid and incompetent who drafted him. Nobody wants RJ... Look at the article I post from the NY Post. In that article a source said let the Knicks overpay for RJ. The Knicks have showcased RJ as something he is not. Including him in this trade would have been a win in order to move on from a HUGE MISTAKE.

If you know what the keys to the Knick franchise is, then you know this 'He doesn't deserve them and never will'(his play shows this... Nothing else).

"Ridiculous Nonsense"... is something you will not get from me. What you have gotten in regard to RJ Barrett is an evaluation on HIS PLAY... NOTHING ELSE. If you or anybody else wants to sugar coat what RJ is, then fine.

What was Inflammatory and Wreckless toward RJ??

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, it was an even better match (CLE) when you consider that Ainge wanted players and picks. The idea he wanted 6-7 picks was why media talking heads felt NYK was all alone in this negotiation.

CLE doesn?t need Sexton and LM, with the emergence of Garland and Mobley?. Hurts NY more romper with their young assets? So, with Ainge looking for 3-4 unprotected firsts plus 3 players?. Cavs were always front runner B to NYK front runner A.

Also, reports are with all things equal, DA preferred to send him off Broadway, and keep him out of NY.. for many reasons.

They gave away their first round pick this year (kid from Kansas), plus 3 unprotected 1st rounders, plus 2 pick swaps, plus 2 players younger than 26?.

For NYK to match, they wanted RJ, Grimes, Toppin?. Plus 3 unprotected picks plus 2 pick swaps?. That?s a steep price to pay and I am glad they passed.

I thought LAK was the key, bc with their 2 picks?. That?s 4 that Utah wanted.

I think Ainge is insane banking on those CLE picks. DM might walk but they could be good regardless with Garland, Mobley, Allen and potentially LeBron.

I would love for NYK to send Cam, Rose, Evan to Lakers for RW and their 2027 first and try to get a swap for 2029.

I trust RW more than DR to be that closer and stay healthy and those LAK picks could be gold. Plus, it will burn Ainge if Knicks walk way with those picks.

Best case scenario is kids develop and show real progress and they still net a top 5 pick? all while snagging those LAK picks.

Word is LAK likes Cam? we shall see?

Still, Leon betting on his draft picks? he better be right otherwise he made 2 boners?. Drafting wrong guys then failing to self evaluate, and selling high to get an all star.

Still, if they make the deal it?s typical crap NYK have done since 1987. You signed Brunson and put faith in kids? DM would?ve taken the spotlight and the ball from them.

Woj made tweets of what possibly was an original offer from us that included RJ, Toppin, and Mitchell...only for that to change as Jazz became more inclined to get a deal done and then you have this...

Supposedly there was a mystery exec or two speaking on Miami Heat trying to find creative ways to get a deal done for Mitchell...:rolling::rolling::rolling:

It appears more and more we got used by Ainge which led to us giving Utah an ultimatum to accept whatever our final offer was

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
"Utah wanted RJ Barrett, Quentin Grimes and three first-round picks from New York. That would have been two unprotected and perhaps a protected -- up to top-five protected pick. ... But, the Knicks did not want to put Grimes in a deal. They were willing to do Immanuel Quickley, and with with Immanuel Quickley Utah's ask was three unprotected picks. They valued Grimes more than Quickley, and essentially New York said we'll do Quickley and RJ, but we want two unprotected picks and a protected third -- we essentially want what you want for Grimes, we want to put Quickley in that deal. And that was the end."
Wojnarowski added that Knicks management expected the negotiations to eventually resume (even after they signed Barrett to an extension on Monday, making a potential deal more complicated), but Cleveland swooped in on Thursday and the Jazz pulled the trigger before giving New York a chance to counter.

The reports of negotiations have been fascinating to follow. There were versions of the deal that didn't include Barrett at all, and Wojnarowski also reported that in early July the Knicks offered Barrett, Obi Toppin, Mitchell Robinson and three unprotected first-round picks for Mitchell, which the Jazz rejected.

After seeing that initial offer, it's hard to comprehend why the Knicks were unwilling to include Grimes and/or a third unprotected first-round pick in their latest offer. The 25th overall pick in the 2021 draft, Grimes had a limited role as a rookie last season, averaging six points and two rebounds in 17 minutes per game with 40/38/68 shooting splits. But, clearly, the Knicks front office holds him in high regard if he was the roadblock to acquiring an All-NBA level guard.

Ultimately the Knicks may have gotten cold feet and pulled out of the deal either way, but arguably the most plugged-in reporter in the NBA said they could have Donovan Mitchell right now if they were willing to include Grimes in the trade.

??-

I?m cool with no DM but kissed that this whole ordeal reinforces the narrative that this org is incompetent.

Broadway

All Star
I?m cool with no DM but kissed that this whole ordeal reinforces the narrative that this org is incompetent.

Do you not find it extremely bizarre it took us nearly 2mos to get DA to agree to a deal but the Cavs by all public accounting got a deal done in just ?a couple days? after RJ extension?

I swear DA played us the whole time without a doubt

He knew Koby Altman was interested and likely was told go set the market for what DM is worth and he could guarantee to match or beat it. Knicks were the pawn needed to pull it off

Reports were we weren?t going to extend RJ until October anyway, which we literally didn?t have to do?I?m glad we did but talk about complete and utter goofiness by our front office

mafra

Legend
It?s obvious now that DA played NYK to get CLE to up their offer, and if I am Utah I probably prefer Sexton-LM combo plus Abaji.

I would?ve taken Abaji at 11 and not trade for those protected picks that nobody wanted. Obviously, DA wanted him?

Then again, maybe reports are true DA wasn?t doing business with NYK. He made 1 trade with NYK in 17 years? then they showed up at their playoff game.

So, basically, all the front office did this offseason was fix the mistakes they made last offseason? and what a failure Leon has been bc getting DM was his top priority when he signed here? he hired Jonny Bryant?. And he couldn?t get his man

Will he take on RW for a season and get valuable picks?. Will he deal Randle or Evan? Will he force Thibbs to play the kids? What about Cam?

Broadway

All Star
It?s obvious now that DA played NYK to get CLE to up their offer, and if I am Utah I probably prefer Sexton-LM combo plus Abaji.

I would?ve taken Abaji at 11 and not trade for those protected picks that nobody wanted. Obviously, DA wanted him?

Then again, maybe reports are true DA wasn?t doing business with NYK. He made 1 trade with NYK in 17 years? then they showed up at their playoff game.

So, basically, all the front office did this offseason was fix the mistakes they made last offseason? and what a failure Leon has been bc getting DM was his top priority when he signed here? he hired Jonny Bryant?. And he couldn?t get his man

Will he take on RW for a season and get valuable picks?. Will he deal Randle or Evan? Will he force Thibbs to play the kids? What about Cam?

Berman has been a dope of a journalist but here?s what he recently said about Thibs and the kids

If Thibs refuses to play Sims, Reddish, Grimes?for Hartenstein, Evan, Rose within the first 15gms I want him GONE!!!

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Yeah, if the goal for Thibbs is to win 4- games over 36 and maybe make it out of bubble? then he?s clueless. This team isn?t beating anybody (other than at best making it to the second round).

The goal should be developing the kids and building for next season and beyond. Even better if the losses pile up so they get another lottery pick to add to the roster.

Obi, IQ, Grimes, McBride, Simms all
Need to play. Nobody deserves 30 mpg.
Let them all get some run.

mafra

Legend
New York Knicks consultant Gersson Rosas?formerly the executive vice president of basketball operations for the Houston Rockets and president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves?took the lead in negotiations with the Utah Jazz for Donovan Mitchell, according to Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.

Per that report, Knicks president Leon Rose "apparently trusted Rosas with the negotiations, and it became obvious over the past few weeks that the Knicks were in the driver's seat to acquire Mitchell, a New York native who wanted to play for the Knicks."

Washburn added that "Rose and [Jazz CEO Danny Ainge] did not speak during the negotiations, according to industry sources."

Kiyaman

Legend
Wsup Kiya... "A BUM ain't right".... WELL.... The only I can say nice about RJ Barrett is that he is victim of campaign to make him 'A Star at all Cost'. At WHO's COST?? None of these 'COST' were given to Frank, Knox's, Dotson or Trier to name a few. None of those mention came with a HIGH price tag as RJ. A #3 overall First round pick was used to draft from what the above article say's.... And I'm quoting... "a decent but not top-of-the-line player".

One of the problems that I have with some in this forum is the value they place or put on a #3 overall pick. That pick IMO is Transformative Territory and Move the Needle player. That isn't happening!! That isn't going to happen!! in regard to RJ. So there are those IMO think that where he was drafted doesn't matter. Always wishing for Great Expectations (Next Year or when he turns 25) for him.

As someone said "I didn't draft RJ"!! I owe RJ... NOTHING... repeat NOTHING!! I don't like what Mills/Perry/L. Rose has done when it came to RJ. If RJ had ever EARNED something, then may I could look at it differently. Ski said it not RJ fault that he was given everything. And what was he suppose to do?? I agree... That the case 'Then justify the things GIVEN. That haven't been done.

As for the lineup you posted. Earlier in this thread or another. I could see at less 3 different camps coming from that lineup. Brunson must justify his contract and why he was signed. Mitchell must justify him being the savior and his contract. Randle has to try to regain his leadership roll and the #1 option roll. MRob has to justify his contract and will he ever develop a jumper, lol. Then there the #3 overall pick that needs to justify why in the hell he is on the team. He becomes the #4 option at best and then the in-fighting start.
Now do you see anything different???

Yes! The Knicks as a Team will regret giving RJ Barrett an extension he did not earn.
I don't trust Leon Rose having 11 future first annd 2nd round picks in the upcoming season. The man is a sports scout! Especially, after the Cavs trade for all-star Donovan Mitchell.
Yeah, Leon Rose job maybe in jeopardy ..
Leon Rose refuse to sign one of the many young FA PG in 2021 offseason (Ball or Dinwiddie).
Leon Rose refuse to get on the same-page with the COY Thibs throughout the 2021-22 season ..
And the trade for SF-Cam Reddish weeks after PG D.Rose went down for surgery.
And Failing to put a Knicks uniform on all-star Donovan Mitchell.
And not trading one of the Knicks two Ball-Stoppers Randle or RJ Barrett in the offseason for a decent SF

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, if the goal for Thibbs is to win 4- games over 36 and maybe make it out of bubble? then he?s clueless. This team isn?t beating anybody (other than at best making it to the second round).

The goal should be developing the kids and building for next season and beyond. Even better if the losses pile up so they get another lottery pick to add to the roster.

Obi, IQ, Grimes, McBride, Simms all
Need to play. Nobody deserves 30 mpg.
Let them all get some run.

Yeah certainly can?t forget about Obi and need to find minutes for McBride(although I feel he?s a 2nd half season look)

If IQ does his job and is given a fair shake he clearly should lockup the backup PG pos

I?m could care less what Evan is doing in overseas tourney play?good riddance. Rose is here as an adopted son and a favor to Thibs, nothing more?nothing less

mafra

Legend
Leon Rose messed up the draft ? trading a 1st for Cam and trading 11 for 3 protected picks.

Deal with Utah might get done if they draft Abaji and somebody else. Obviously, Utah didn?t value those protected Picka and they loved the kid from Kansas.

mafra

Legend
Also, this Boston Globe report that Leon Rose and Danny Ainge never spoke once during the trade negotiations doesn?t sit well with me. Instead, Leon entrusted a recently hired underling (Rosas), with a poor reputation as a negotiator, handle the trade talks.

We heard all about the deal-making prowess of super agent Rose and Wordlwide Wes? lol? 3 years later and NYK fans are wondering where those deals are.

mafra

Legend
The Utah Jazz went from not strongly valuing RJ Barrett in a potential Donovan Mitchell trade with the New York Knicks to considering him an essential piece.

"On Barrett, something changed between July 10th and September whenever the trade happened," said Zach Lowe. "Mid-July, RJ Barrett was not a lynchpin of this trade for either side. And clearly for New York he was never a lynchpin because he was in the offer all the way through basically. Including when he was poison pilled.

"Utah, something internal discussions happened and in those internal discussions over six or seven weeks, they decided actually RJ Barrett matters to us. He's not a deal breaker, but we want him. And if we don't get him, it complicates things to the degree that we're going to need so much draft equity it might just shut the Knicks out.

"I think that's interesting and I kind of want to dig in more into that as the weeks go in this summer and fall. There was some internal conversation that led them to say 'Actually this guy is a little better than we thought.'"

ZACH LOWE/ESPN

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks did not need a 6.1 SG Donovan Mitchell added to the roster !!!
The Knicks strongest position on the court last season were at the SG position having Fournier, Quickley, Burks, and rookie Grimes.

The Knicks weakest position throughout last season were at the PG position and the SF position.

Adding PG Brunson to the roster in the offseason was a decent move, but it only means the 2nd season PG McBride will have to receive playing time in the upcoming season.

At the SF spot RJ Barrett stink, stunk, was awful from the start to the end of last season.
RJ Barrett's performance at the SF spot did not match up to 30% of the dynamic 2-Way performance the Knicks got from Bullocks.
And we all are clueless on what Cam Reddish will bring to the table at the SF spot in the upcoming season.
The Knicks are F... up at the starter SF spot, and are in question bout the backup SF spot

The 6.4 Grimes are strictly a 2nd season RAW SG that didn't perform well at the SF spot, or look well in a 3 guard offense in the NBA.