Vince Carter

smokes

Huge Member
Second time I've made a thread about this guy. He just got waived by Phoenix so he's a FA. Already got $4 million this year which was his guaranteed salary. If we could get him for cheap I would do it in a heartbeat. I think he'd be a pretty good compliment to our team and has that veteran presence that we sorely lack (only Billups can really be considered a true leader on our roster).

He still has a decent shot, good athleticism, can shoot the 3, not a bad defender and fills a dire need at the 2 spot. Can also back up the 3 for the few minutes that we need it. Would also free us up to trade TD/Fields as we would have a decent player to cover the 2.

Yanking away PHX two ex-vets VC and Grant Hill would be a solid move for us this offseason. If we can get those two plus a big man I'd be happy.

p0nder

Starter
The question with VC, ever since his days as a beast for the Raptors and then the Nets, is: Can he accept a role where he is not ball dominant and putting up lots of shots? Can he switch form his mentality that "I'm The Man" mode to the #3 option on a good team? If he can do that and accept it with open arms then I think he'd be an amazing pick up. But I'm not convinced that VC, even with a beard, has grown up enough to do that.

However I feel that Grant Hill would be the better pick up of the two vets if we are looking at 1 year options. His defense is better and he's more of a "team" oriented guy. He'd help Amar'e and Melo in their defensive growth and while he's not as young as VC and doesn't have the same 3pt % He'd be like a grown up version of the Landry Fields we had at the beginning of last season.

If we could get both and the price and attitudes were right I'd pull the trigger.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
A good point, well made.

For me, however, I'd have to say no. We've been stockpiling 2s and 3s for years, and now have a good, three headed bunch of young, versatile players.

Carter is still a good player, but not only do we have more dire need in the paint, are we really capable of offering him anything within the realm of what he'd consider worth his time?

No doubt he'll be enticed by an offer much wealthier than anything we can afford - CP3 hunt or no.

smokes

Huge Member
You guys really think so? His career is obviously winding down, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't willing to take more of a back seat role and a lesser salary. I don't really see why anyone would be offering Vince a large salary he is a 10/5 kinda guy now by no means is he a primary scoring threat.

Plus since he has already had a partial payday this year that's all the more reason he would take less money.

I'm not sure what you mean by stockpiling 2s, we have Fields and Douglas but we all know any kind of trade for a big name this season is going to see one or more likely both of those guys out the door, there's just no way around that.

smokes

Huge Member
VC doesnt bring anything to the table that the knicks need

I'm not sure how you can say that with a straight face.

We need players who can shoot the 3 and spread the floor. Right now the only players we have who are legit 3 point threats are Billups and Douglas. If we end up trading one or both of them which several people here are desperate for then he brings something big to the table.

He brings veteran leadership, another body at the 2/3 and more importantly size at that position. He would be one of the few players on our team who can post up, and possibly one of the biggest talents available for cheap.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Common Smokes..

This guy admitted at one point in his career that he didn't play hard all of the time.

He has no ability to be a locker room presence. That's not something we can say he'd bring to the Knicks.

He's obviously very talented offensively, but he doesn't play defense and he makes stupid turnovers.

Watched him quite a bit last season as I like to keep an eye on Nash. He really isn't what's needed dude.

If we're looking for a vet who could really bring something, somebody like Kurt Thomas would be ideal. Not this guy.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
I'm not sure how you can say that with a straight face.

We need players who can shoot the 3 and spread the floor. Right now the only players we have who are legit 3 point threats are Billups and Douglas. If we end up trading one or both of them which several people here are desperate for then he brings something big to the table.

He brings veteran leadership, another body at the 2/3 and more importantly size at that position. He would be one of the few players on our team who can post up, and possibly one of the biggest talents available for cheap.

VC stops the movement of the ball very similar to carmelo and he plays no kindve defense...and VC has done nothing in his career that our young players should follow...

smokes

Huge Member
Common Smokes..

This guy admitted at one point in his career that he didn't play hard all of the time.

He has no ability to be a locker room presence. That's not something we can say he'd bring to the Knicks.

He's obviously very talented offensively, but he doesn't play defense and he makes stupid turnovers.

Watched him quite a bit last season as I like to keep an eye on Nash. He really isn't what's needed dude.

If we're looking for a vet who could really bring something, somebody like Kurt Thomas would be ideal. Not this guy.

There's nothing saying you can only have one or the other. He may have lacked effort in the history of his career but seriously can you blame him when he's been surrounded by the kind of dire players he has, trying to carry them all the time?

Since his time in Orlando and PHX he has become a tougher player he bodies up and takes charges, if you'd watched him a lot you'd notice his fundamental basketball has progressed since his younger more impetuous days of only trying to carry the load offensively.

He is a large 2 who can rebound, shoot the 3 and post up. I honestly don't see why people would NOT want him on the Knicks, if he came for cheap.

Would he come for cheap is another question entirely and I wouldn't want to pay him serious money but for a year or two at a couple of million per, he would be a steal.

KingCharles34

All Star
One of my favorite NBA vets, if we can sign via partial mid-level exception I'd be more than glad. :)

132689691.gif