What happens in a tie in the lottery

tiger0330

Legend
Posted this in htr10's game thread yesterday but I thought I would start a thread for it because you might not read an old game thread with so few posts. I thought the Knicks would get the most lottery balls even with the same record as the Wolves because we lost both games we played against them this season but they don't use tiebreakers in the lottery. There is a real possibility we have the same record as the Wolves to end the season.

The worst record is definitely not in the bag yet. Wolves play the Lakers, Pelicans, Warriors and Thunder to close it out, a pretty tough schedule. Knicks have the Magic, Hawks and Pistons and like you say they could win 2 of the 3. Anyone know if the Wolves and Knicks have the same records what happens in the lottery, is there a coin toss, do they use head to head as the tie breaker.

TWolves lost to the Lakers last night and now are 16-63, the Knicks 15-64 but the TWolves have the tougher schedule and have a ton of injuries and probably wont/can't win another game. The Knicks have a chance winning one of the remaining 3 so I think we may tie the Wolves for the worst record.

What happens in the lottery if 2 teams have the same record is they split the combined number of chances of their respective positions. In this case the 1st seed gets 250 chances and the second seed 199 chances for a total 449 chances, so the Knicks or Wolves will get either 225 or 224 chances, there would be a coin flip to determine which team gets 225 chances. The upshot of a tie is the Knicks and Wolves would have an almost equal .225 chance for the 1st pick and .0615 chance to pick 5th. The Knicks need to lose every remaining game to avoid this scenario.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Great question .. I always wonder the same thing.
The Lottery was made up to stop teams from tanking the final games of the season for the top-1 pick.
The Lottery was doing good when the worst team kept getting the 2nd or 3rd pick.

I would be surprise if the Knicks get the top-1 pick for purposely tanking all season.
When the 76ers and Wolves were a Lottery team at the start of the season

tiger0330

Legend
Great question .. I always wonder the same thing.
The Lottery was made up to stop teams from tanking the final games of the season for the top-1 pick.
The Lottery was doing good when the worst team kept getting the 2nd or 3rd pick.

I would be surprise if the Knicks get the top-1 pick for purposely tanking all season.
When the 76ers and Wolves were a Lottery team at the start of the season
Kiya I don't think you read my entire post. If there is a tie this is what happens:

If 2 teams have the same record they split the combined number of chances of their respective positions. In this case the 1st seed in the lottery gets 250 chances and the second seed 199 chances for a total 449 chances, so the Knicks or Wolves will get either 225 or 224 chances, there would be a coin flip to determine which team gets the 225 chances. The upshot of a tie is the Knicks and Wolves would have an almost equal .225 chance for the 1st pick and .0615 chance to pick 5th.

The first year the lottery system went into effect was 1985, the year the Knicks picked Patrick Ewing. All Knicks fans can remember Dave Debusschere pounding the table with joy when they won the number one pick that night. Phil Jackson is now the club president and a teammate of Debusschere from those championship years and his Knicks will be selecting their first top 5 pick since they selected Sky Walker at 5 in the 1986 draft after picking Ewing first in 1985. I'm not a superstitious person but that seems like a lot of favorable fate and Karma going into the draft for the Knicks. Maybe history repeats and the guy selected by the Knicks is a future Hall of Famer that plays the next 15 years for them.

Last edited:
Glad you broke this down, Tiger, because with the win last night and 2 games to play, looks very likely we will be tied with Minny to end the season.

tiger0330

Legend
The Post explained it also today but with one correction. That coin toss for that extra ping pong ball is critical, whoever wins that toss becomes the number one seed and is still guaranteed to pick no worse than 4th. Don't quite understand that because one ball shouldn't skew your odds that much but that's what the Post said.

CoolClyde

THJ is a f*cking idiot.

that's what happens when your dad's a dick, and pushes his son to succeed at the cost of the team.

probably not the situation, but i thought i'd say it, just cause i still hate Tim senior.
and that's another reason i'd like the Knicks to get rid of junior hardhead.

Broadway

All Star
Glad you broke this down, Tiger, because with the win last night and 2 games to play, looks very likely we will be tied with Minny to end the season.

Some are upset at THJR although Cole beasted like he was Tim Duncan but why not blame the clowns who won like 5 out of 7 2mos ago. You know when Galloway was playing hero ball and winning games against the Sixers and whatnot in the clutch?

I saw these emotional tirades coming from a mile away. Why root for losses so hard now when some were letting their root gas off the pedal clamoring for 10 day contracts Bums to have major impact on games when we were 8-39?

It's not ideal to slip in the lottery, but it's alright overall in my mind. No clear, can't miss future star in the top 5 I don't think, except maybe Okafor, but man, who wants to see a possible frontline of Melo, Monroe, and Okafor on the defensive end? I'd love us to end up with Mudiay or possibly Russell rather than the two big men who will likely get taken before them. The potential to drop to the 5th pick, however small, is a bit discouraging, but then maybe we grab WCS. Can't get too upset until the lottery and the actual draft shake out.

Red

TYPE-A
Some are upset at THJR although Cole beasted like he was Tim Duncan but why not blame the clowns who won like 5 out of 7 2mos ago. You know when Galloway was playing hero ball and winning games against the Sixers and whatnot in the clutch?

I saw these emotional tirades coming from a mile away. Why root for losses so hard now when some were letting their root gas off the pedal clamoring for 10 day contracts Bums to have major impact on games when we were 8-39?

1. Those guys responsible for our 8-39 record play for the Cavs now

2. Any winning streak we had is inconsequential at this point.duh

3. The post quoted above is about as a stupid as a non - Knick fan trolling a Knick forum. Much free time huh?

Broadway

All Star
1. Those guys responsible for our 8-39 record play for the Cavs now

2. Any winning streak we had is inconsequential at this point.duh

3. The post quoted above is about as a stupid as a non - Knick fan trolling a Knick forum. Much free time huh?

Naaaahhhhh Galloways Reggie Miller esque fadeaway 3s, and Lou and Lance doing their best impression of McHale and Cedric Maxwell, Shved doing Pistol Pete impersos winning games had just as much an impact as THJR dropping buckets against Orlando.

When you are mathematically out of the picture then you go for next best case scenario, which at 8-39 isn't winning more ball games but developing the younger talent while losing.

Last edited: