Why Trading for Melo is Better than Signing him in FA!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If that's the deal, we should be making that trade immediately. Get Melo suited up and ready for the Celtics.

It's a game of chicken where both teams are seeing who blinks first. I think Denver ultimately caves in since we hold more leverage and Walsh has shown an ability to be patient. Even if we have to sweeten the deal with TD, Moz or S. Williams it would still be worth it.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Crazy, there is absolutely no way the NBA goes to a hard cap. Oh and yes, Melo is the type of player along with Stat and Felton that can lead us to a chip. He played really nice on Team USA and was making plays, playing defense and complimenting the other stars quite nicely. Further, remember my other important point, if he extends with us it's only for 3 years which would allow us to press eject in year 3 and trade his expiring or let it drop off if that core somehow is not effective. This is of crucial importance as signing him as an FA would almost certainly be a 5 year max deal. Locking Melo down for 3 years verse 5 enables us options in his final year to make changes if need be.

If they (NBA) don't finalise on a hard cap, then no doubt there'll be altercations. We can't in any way define how it will all emerge.

This is about protecting the owners. Stern and Co. are being forced to become more intransigent about their stance, as evidenced by their recent take over of the Hornet's ownership. The Hornets, obviously, were the epitome of a financially struggling franchise, but there are others: Kings, Pacers and Grizzlies.

All that said, there's still no assurance that Wil is going to be available because of the CBA. One of the major reasons his contract hasn't been extended.

DW: We want him. It has to do with the fact that there will be a New Collective Bargaining agreement and we are not sure what impact it would have."

And yes, the 3 year deal is golden delicious. Mmmmmmmm.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If they (NBA) don't finalise on a hard cap, then no doubt there'll be altercations. We can't in any way define how it will all emerge.

This is about protecting the owners. Stern and Co. are being forced to become more intransigent about their stance, as evidenced by their recent take over of the Hornet's ownership. The Hornets, obviously, were the epitome of a financially struggling franchise, but there are others: Kings, Pacers and Grizzlies.

All that said, there's still no assurance that Wil is going to be available because of the CBA. One of the major reasons his contract hasn't been extended.

And yes, the 3 year deal is golden delicious. Mmmmmmmm.

Well assuming we are inevitably getting Melo one scenario guarantees Chandler is not a Knick(waiting for FA) and one gives us a shot assuming the CBA allows for exceptions and Bird rights. Therefore Chandler may not be a guarantee but my thesis still holds up regarding which is the best course of action.

I think the major changes will be a lower cap and maybe a contraction of teams. Something like 26 or 24 teams consolidating talent and markets. How would that work anyway? A contraction draft to acquire players from the eliminated teams?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Well assuming we are inevitably getting Melo one scenario guarantees Chandler is not a Knick(waiting for FA) and one gives us a shot assuming the CBA allows for exceptions and Bird rights. Therefore Chandler may not be a guarantee but my thesis still holds up regarding which is the best course of action.

I think the major changes will be a lower cap and maybe a contraction of teams. Something like 26 or 24 teams consolidating talent and markets. How would that work anyway? A contraction draft to acquire players from the eliminated teams?

Yeah, it's still better for sure.

Contraction drafting? I think that happened with Seattle's demise? Seattle may even get their team back if that happens???

I guess that the players under contract maintain their terms, and a ruling is set for vying teams that is non-constrained by the cap?

I dunno.

Interesting stuff though! There are some great players on "ebbing" teams. Rudy Gay, CP3, Tyreke Evans, Hibbert.

I'm off topic.

Chandler or no, a chance is a chance. It's still a top option comparatively.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Yeah, it's still better for sure.

Contraction drafting? I think that happened with Seattle's demise? Seattle may even get their team back if that happens???

I guess that the players under contract maintain their terms, and a ruling is set for vying teams that is non-constrained by the cap?

I dunno.

Interesting stuff though! There are some great players on "ebbing" teams. Rudy Gay, CP3, Tyreke Evans, Hibbert.

I'm off topic.

Chandler or no, a chance is a chance. It's still a top option comparatively.