Overtime Thriller
  • : Function ereg() is deprecated in /home/rady/public_html/includes/file.inc on line 895.
  • : Function ereg() is deprecated in /home/rady/public_html/includes/file.inc on line 895.
New York vs
139 - 135
Record: 32-48
Stephon Marbury argues with official Luis Grillo after a foul (AP Photo)
Stephon Marbury argues with official Luis Grillo after a foul (AP Photo)
NEW YORK (AP) -- The Atlanta Hawks often play three competitive quarters then succumb in the fourth.

Tyronn Lue and his teammates kept up with the New York Knicks for 48 minutes on Sunday night and pulled away in the final five.

Lue scored eight of his 32 points in overtime to lead the Atlanta Hawks to a 139-135 win over the New York Knicks in the NBA's highest-scoring game this season.

"Like my dad told me, if we only played three quarters we'd probably go to the Finals," Lue said.

The Hawks blew a double-digit lead in the third quarter against Chicago on Saturday.

"It definitely would have been easy to hang our heads. It's been that way with this team all year, and we play hard," Lue said. "But this team plays hard, and we play the right way, and eventually when you play hard and the right way you get a win."

Josh Smith scored 19 of his 21 points after halftime, and Josh Childress added 22 points and Boris Diaw had 20 for the Hawks, who won for the fourth time on the road this season. Atlanta (13-67),with the worst record in the league, snapped a three-game losing streak.

"You can't hang your head," Smith said. "You take it as a loss and look to the next game. We didn't hang our heads. We came here thinking we were going to get a win. And we got one."

Stephon Marbury had 31 points and nine assists before fouling out in overtime, and Jamal Crawford added 31 points for the Knicks, including a 3-pointer in overtime that cut the lead to 137-135.

San Antonio and Golden State combined to score 270 points earlier this month in a game the Spurs won 136-134 in double overtime.

Lue's 3-pointer with 19.7 seconds left put Atlanta up 132-127, and after Tim Thomas scored inside, Marbury was called for holding away from the play, putting Lue at the line for a free throw that gave Atlanta a six-point lead.

Marbury then fouled out with 11.6 seconds left to put Childress at the line for a pair of free throws that put Atlanta up 135-129.

Thomas then hit a 3-pointer to cut the lead to 135-132, but Childress was fouled and hit two more free throws.

Crawford hit a 3-pointer with 6 seconds left and the Knicks fouled Boris Diaw with 1.9 seconds left. He hit both and the Knicks didn't manage another shot.

"Pretty much any team we play we feel we can beat them," said Tom Gugliotta, who scored 14 points for the Hawks. "We kind of get stung when teams make a run. We haven't been able to rebound and go back at them.

"Tonight we were able to kind of get them on their heels the last few minutes."

Lue was a big part of that. He had one assist in overtime, a slick alley-oop pass to Smith that broke a 125-125 tie, and then he drove and hit a layup as he fell and skidded into the front row.

And Smith helped the Hawks withstand the Knicks late run in the fourth quarter, drawing Michael Sweetney's sixth foul with a spin move and then rebounding his own missed free throw and juking Trevor Ariza for a layup that tied the score at 116.

"It feels real good because we're in almost every game," Smith said. "For us to finally pull one off, it feels real good. It gives us hope for us to play hard."

Kurt Thomas hit a short jumper, but Smith drew another foul and made two free throws that tied the game at 118 with 30 seconds left.

"It was a dogfight," said Kurt Thomas, who fouled out in overtime. "You've got to give Atlanta credit. They attacked the basket. They played to their strength.

Crawford missed a 3-pointer with under 10 seconds left and the ball glanced off an Atlanta player and out of bounds as the 24-second violation horn went off. Officials ruled the ball had hit the rim and gave the ball to New York with 5.4 seconds left.

With one more chance, Maurice Taylor's jumper came up short.

: Allan Houston told reporters after the game his left knee feels better, but he didn't have a choice to come back this season. "I wasn't going to come back and they weren't going to allow me to come back without significant practice time," Houston said. "It wasn't up to me." ... Both teams scored season-high marks, with the Hawks eclipsing the 116 points they scored in two overtimes against the Raptors and the Knicks passing the 119 they put up against Atlanta. ... Smith picked up two fouls in the first five minutes, went to the bench and didn't return until the start of the third quarter. ... The Hawks snapped a six-game losing streak to the Knicks, and won at Madison Square Garden for the first time since March 22, 1999.

All images and logos are copyrighted by NBA.com or the AP