Two Max Contracts Or Three?

• 2 Max Contracts

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 3 Max Contracts

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Two maxes and use the rest of for a few players or two maxes?

If we get another max...that's gonna be four-five years....four...to five years...with a team revolving around max players. I think we should use the third max money on a two or three others players.

Yes, players might line-up to play with us now for the minimum..., but veterans in their late 30s who might not be able to do that much anymore. We can draft players, but what are the chances of finding another Landry?

Speaking of Landry, when his contract comes up, don't expect him to sign here if there's another max. He has all-star potential. We'd have to hope he loves being on the Knicks that much.

Same with Chandler, and well, I doubt anybody expects him to take drastically less when he can get a few million more for several years in his young career.

We better hope we get quality minimum salary players over the summer.

Guys such as:

Iverson
T-Mac (We have the two stars he said he'd like to play for with us)
Camby
Jason Williams (if he stays on the Grizzlies, hopefully we'd have something to trade for him if we need to trade for a back-up)
Earl Barron
Patrick Ewing, Jr.
Sean Williams (in the D-League now, looked pretty good in the All-Star game)

Any other ideas for quality minimum salary players?

Last edited:

la2ny

Starter
i do really believe instead of going after 3 stars we would be better served with 2 and a solid balanced teams. Look at the Lakers for example. They have an elite wing scorer and a scorer in the post surrouded by very good role players that the make look better. We still have options moving foward which alot of people keep trying to deny. We still have our upcoming 1st I believe. Were in a great position moving foward. If we keep Brewer, find a backup pg, and defensive minded big like I said before like a Camby or Hollins or Mouhammed, we would have a greatly more balanced out roster than a team like the Heat.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
I put it right down for the next man through the door, you're not getting a max. You can be a legend, you can play on a title winning team but you weren't here for the build, you didn't throw your hat in the ring then so if you want the money then take it somewhere else.

The bank is closed, let's see how much CP3 or D-Will really want to win.

The money is in NY and if you're really smart you play for and win the ring and then your earning potential goes through the roof, you laugh at the max anyone else can offer.

If either of those two all star PG's will take a realistic drop then that's where you go.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
I honestly believe it all depends on Miami results. If they win the championship or stay really close the next two years, many teams would try to imitate what they did. But Miami experiment still can explode and destroy itself like Fabulous Four Lakers experiment did. In that case, everybody will say they saw it coming and return to the official two-star frontcourt/backcourt combination thesis.

Pricey

Rotation player
can someone explain to me how much our salary cap is for next season ignoring the CBA thing and tell me after STAT and Melo how much we have left over for next season?

la2ny

Starter
can someone explain to me how much our salary cap is for next season ignoring the CBA thing and tell me after STAT and Melo how much we have left over for next season?
Well the salary cap is $58 million right now if it stayed the same way we'd have about 40 mill commited to Stat-Melo. Throw in us keeping Billups next year, Balkmans 1.7, and about $4 mill combining Douglas/Walker/Rautins/Fields/ its more like $54-55 mill. So if it was to stay at $58 million dollars we'd have some wiggle room of about $4 mill + MLE it's closer to $9 mill.

I would rather have 2 superstars with great Startibg line up and a great bench, then 3 superstars with a great starting line up and a mediocre old bench.

Pricey

Rotation player
Well the salary cap is $58 million right now if it stayed the same way we'd have about 40 mill commited to Stat-Melo. Throw in us keeping Billups next year, Balkmans 1.7, and about $4 mill combining Douglas/Walker/Rautins/Fields/ its more like $54-55 mill. So if it was to stay at $58 million dollars we'd have some wiggle room of about $4 mill + MLE it's closer to $9 mill.

thanks mate.

la2ny

Starter
If we were to trade for Dalembert we could then sign Earl Barron, Patrick Ewing Jr., Sean Williams, etc. I think we'd be ok till summer:

Billups/Douglas/Carter
Fields/Brewer/Ewing Jr.
Anthony/Williams/Brewer
Stoudemire/Balkman/Barron/Sha.Williams
Dalembert/She.Williams/Barron

trade Turiaf,Azubuike,Rautins,Mason, and Walker for Dalembert. seems like a lot but we have to make salaries match. Maybe sign someone then trade them to Sac so we can keep either Rautins, Walker, or Mason.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=48kqrmp

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
I want that 3rd superstar, especially if its CP3 or D-Will.

Problem is I dont think its possible to get a 3rd Max on the team with the salary cap. I hope some way some how we can fit it, but it doesnt look/sound promising.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If we were to trade for Dalembert we could then sign Earl Barron, Patrick Ewing Jr., Sean Williams, etc. I think we'd be ok till summer:

Billups/Douglas/Carter
Fields/Brewer/Ewing Jr.
Anthony/Williams/Brewer
Stoudemire/Balkman/Barron/Sha.Williams
Dalembert/She.Williams/Barron

trade Turiaf,Azubuike,Rautins,Mason, and Walker for Dalembert. seems like a lot but we have to make salaries match. Maybe sign someone then trade them to Sac so we can keep either Rautins, Walker, or Mason.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=48kqrmp
I hope we keep Walker. Trading Robinson for him was a fairly even deal. Instant offense off the bench.

Looking at last summer we could now have the greatest starting 5 of all time judged by names. (though 3 out of those 5 are beyond their prime)

Iverson FA (Minimum)
McGrady FA (Minimum)
Anthony Trade (Maximum)
Stoudemire FA (Maximum)
S. O'Neal FA (Minimum)

Could have been fun. Championship caliber team, despite that fact that 3 guys are past it.

Kiyaman

Legend
There are so many reasons why Dolan/Walsh shouldve waited untill the offseason for Melo to make up his mind to either join the Knicks to become a contender or for the FA big pay day. Melo's extension plus lost of first round picks sends us backward not foward.

This is the Eastern Conference where Melo competition is not "run n gun" any more. Melo will be going up against heavier bigmen in a halfcourt setting in the East. No more playing East teams twice a year, its 4 times a year now.

Watch how all the East postseason teams try to BULK-UP in size during the deadline this week to compete with Boston and the Magic. And the Magic been looking for another bigman C/F since they gave up Gortat.

We need to watch Chandler/ Gallo/ and Harrington with NBA bigmen Nene/ K.Mart/ and Birdman. PG-Ty Lawson was NBA ready as a rookie and learned a helluva lot from Billups the last two seasons to lead SG-Smith & Affalow into a 7 game postseason presence. Chandler stock is going to rise in Denver before the offseason.

Who do I blame if Denver makes it to the 2nd round postseason?
Celebrity coach Damnphony

Toons

is the Bo$$
3 superstars! what the hell is wrong with you [eople and being content with mediocrity??

howard or a paul/dwill

why the hell do u go after role players first?

damn, sounds like the
david lee is a better fit than amare
or gallo is a better fit than melo
i know were supposed to love our team regardless, but we have an oppertunity to be champions....my eyes are on the prize, i dont know about u

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
No question...get 3 superstars then worry bout fillers later. We need to change our mindset! Stop thinking about getting to the playoffs (or like the past 10 years just finishing above 500) and start thinking what do we need to bring home the championship ring!
We are officially contenders now and must start acting like it. Toons is absolutely on point here. Role players are on the backburner...Get me another superstar in the house!

iSaYughh

Starter
There are so many reasons why Dolan/Walsh shouldve waited untill the offseason for Melo to make up his mind to either join the Knicks to become a contender or for the FA big pay day. Melo's extension plus lost of first round picks sends us backward not foward.

This is the Eastern Conference where Melo competition is not "run n gun" any more. Melo will be going up against heavier bigmen in a halfcourt setting in the East. No more playing East teams twice a year, its 4 times a year now.

Watch how all the East postseason teams try to BULK-UP in size during the deadline this week to compete with Boston and the Magic. And the Magic been looking for another bigman C/F since they gave up Gortat.

We need to watch Chandler/ Gallo/ and Harrington with NBA bigmen Nene/ K.Mart/ and Birdman. PG-Ty Lawson was NBA ready as a rookie and learned a helluva lot from Billups the last two seasons to lead SG-Smith & Affalow into a 7 game postseason presence. Chandler stock is going to rise in Denver before the offseason.

Who do I blame if Denver makes it to the 2nd round postseason?
Celebrity coach Damnphony

Dear God! That last line is like straight out of a Mad TV skit...Who and why do you blame Mike D'antoni if Denver goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

Also, we couldn't "simply" let Melo become an FA to sign. If it was that simple and easy, every person on earth would just clearly wait to sign him in the off season under the new CBA, and preserve Gallo/Chandler/Moz/AR!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Dear God! That last line is like straight out of a Mad TV skit...Who and why do you blame Mike D'antoni if Denver goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

Also, we couldn't "simply" let Melo become an FA to sign. If it was that simple and easy, every person on earth would just clearly wait to sign him in the off season under the new CBA, and preserve Gallo/Chandler/Moz/AR!

I know. It's like Kiya thinks he knows something that our management didn't. I'm not surprised though since he moonlights as a mind reader when he is not performing orthopedic surgery on NBA player knees...

How many times does he have to hear that Melo would have extended and did not want to chance millions on the CBA before he drops this false choice that we could have simply waited and gotten Melo while keeping all these guys?

BTW, this is the same guy who said we would never trade Gallo because "Celebrity Godfather Coach" would not allow it. WRONG AGAIN Kiya! Now he wants us to believe they traded him and others when they could have just waited...:barf:

Last edited: