NBA advance scout questions Knicks' coaching

More specifically, what are they missing on defense?

Those kinds of coaches who emphasize the defensive side of the ball significantly more. Just about any coach in the league does. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock Mike; Mike is a terrific coach. I just don't know that his beliefs ultimately win. His Phoenix teams came close, but I just know that in my experience, I do know this: when you're playing a team that is as good or better, there better be times that when you need to, you can get stops. I think that's the difference between teams that win big and teams that just win a lot of games in the regular season. When you need to, you better be able to get stops, and I just don't have a lot of confidence that the Knicks can do that, not just based upon their personnel, although that's part of it, but more on the emphasis that the coaching staff places on it. Unless he changes his approach defensively, no matter who they add to the team, I don't think you win championships without being able to defend. I have significant doubts that their style and the lack of emphasis on the defensive end will result in a true championship-contending team. Let's face it, Mike's won a lot of games. I give him credit that he does what he believes in, but until I see his teams able to succeed that way when it really matters in the Eastern finals, in high-leverage games, I feel like the underlying reason why they don't is the fact that they're unable to get stops when they need to.
Hopefully Donnie Walsh can realize this and fire D'antoni and hire a coach that teaches defense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/3384/nba-advance-scouts-take-on-the-knicks

smokes

Huge Member
Either that or ACTUALLY change his ways.

At the start of the game tonight they quoted D'ant as saying we need to get better on defense, and they are going to emphasise it even if it hurts their offense... Now that was surprising.

Smokes, you do know what a SMOKESCREEN is I'm sure...

mafra

Legend
I'm not fan of MD, that's for sure. But let's be honest, his system was winning a title until Robert Horry flung Steve Nash and David Stern dropped the hammer. Stern also cost the Knicks a title in 1997, when he did the same to Ewing.

I have no doubt PHO & NYK win titles those years.

And, if MD wins one title... then this bunk that his system wont wina title is reduced to what? The trashbin of history?

Let's not forget... there's not many traditional centers banging around the paint in the NBA anymore.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I'm not fan of MD, that's for sure. But let's be honest, his system was winning a title until Robert Horry flung Steve Nash and David Stern dropped the hammer. Stern also cost the Knicks a title in 1997, when he did the same to Ewing.

I have no doubt PHO & NYK win titles those years.

And, if MD wins one title... then this bunk that his system wont wina title is reduced to what? The trashbin of history?

Let's not forget... there's not many traditional centers banging around the paint in the NBA anymore.

Mafra. You don't know that at all. When a team can't get stops, you could lose a few games in a row easily... There are no excuses. Same thing with the Knicks in 97. No excuses. The Knicks lost 3 straight. They may not have had their entire line-up, but no excuses.

Your opinion may carry more weight with K. Perkins last year because it was one game, the stats the Celts ended up losing by were the same K Perks helps... but, still no excuses.