Should we question A'mare's heart?

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
We have a guy who is 6'10 250 pounds, 38 inch vert, body of zeus but has the heart of vince carter? Yes we do and although amare's stats hide what he truly is, it wont hide the fact that unless we get major big in NY soon, we will not win a chip.Amare is always and i mean always getting killed by the lesser bigs of the league, Hansbrough,wilcox,hickson,hibbert etc and its become a trend, then he settles to guard these no names instead of being a true leader and taking the challenge to guard the teams best bigs atleast in crucial moments, he does this constantly, leaving shawn williams on dwight howard? are you serious! Ok maybe he doesnt want to pick up dumb fouls so i give him an excuse for that one but then when theres a rebound that is going to be contested and jumped for heavily, he tries to grab it with 1 hand instead of saying "THIS IS MINE", so many games where we needed a stop and the team missed and amare fails to grab the crucial rebound, is he soft or not fundamentally sound? Why does amare complain and complain to officials on offense, demands the ball,plays with effort on the offensive boards and sets good picks and this and that but on defense just doesnt cares? where did the passion go amare? he will make sure he is the first one up the court on offense but on D jogs back because the defensive end doesnt benefit his stats, yes his STATS, his nickname says it all,he is a self centered piece of crap that only cares about putting the ball in the hoop,top 10 most athletic player getting destroyed by hansbrough, are you kidding me? Amare is that type of player that will shoot until his stats are good enough, he will force up anything just to get a basket,melo works for the best shot and if he doesnt have it then he doesnt have it but amare is selfish and only wants buckets,he will shoot 30 shots but wont jump for one defensive rebound,he will however jump for an offensive rebound because he knows he is going to get a point for it but things that dont relate to stats dont relate to amare.

Maybe just maybe amare does not care about defense rather than cant play it because maybe just maybe he is to soft to do a real big mans job,if amare was a SF he would be one of the best but he is not, he is a soft bigman who rather let teammates do the dirty work for him instead of being a true leader and showing that i go after the loose balls and the hustle plays too.Amare needs a mentor like bill lambeir or jerry sloan on how to not care about bumps and bruises but about how to win.

I know this is a long read but i had to get this off of my chest

la2ny

Starter
In the words of Charles Barkely and Kenny Smith:
"Kenny,Whats a PF that doesn't average 10+ rebounds?"

"Oh, thats a Small Foward..."

I didn't even bother reading an inch of this thread. Sorry; but over the top much? The man is a top 10 NBA star & turned the Culture of the Knicks by his damn self. Has MSG rocking like the playoffs year of the 90's against Reggie & the Pacers, MJ of the Bulls & our hated rival from South Beach.

Just because he lacks defensive ability doesn't mean Amare lacks heart. You take the good & the bad with Amare but the man has HEART & has shown it in NY all season long. He had enough HEART to come to a laughing stock franchise that was once proud & had enough hart to pretty much say F LeBron before James signed with the Heat when saying he has both Carmelo & Parker ready to join forces with NY this offseason.

Yes, he lacks defensive focus & toughness but to question his HEART? Come on man. He wouldn't be the type of athlete if he lacked heart. He wouldn't be built like a damn beast without hours, days, weeks, months & years of hard workouts on a daily basis which has turned him into a top 10 athlete. "heart"

any one who drops 45-20 on tim duncan in a playoff series

single handely was the reason for 60 percent of this season why we are even close to making the playoffs

is top 7 in the league in blocks and only averages 8.4 rebounds because truly

he is a small forward ( playing style slashing jump shooting cutting pick and roll mid range force )in a power forwards position

who for 75 percent of this season has been forced to play center out of lack of a big man

is not

by any means

lacking heart

amare has as much heart as any knick we have seen on this team in over a decade

close thread

end post

and move on

we are now fishing for nonsense to blame him for our current status meanwhile he by all definitions has been an mvp caliber player this year

banged up not banged up
lead the league in fourth quarter ppg before melo showed up

who ever
and i figure its prob someone who has only made maybe 50 posts in his KO career must of configured this ridiculous thread

should join a nets forum and denounce his knicks fan status.

DFDH

FIRE DANTONI ORIGINALE

over and out.

Before questioning his heart how about the OP hit the gym like Amare & then talk about "heart". Rodman sucked on offense; did he lack heart? Riley left the Knicks & so did JVG; do they lack heart as a coach? Phil Jackson turned his back on our franchise; does he lack heart? Amare came back from a serious knee injury & is risking having horrible knees his entire life after the NBA... To question his heart? Amazing what fans say after loses or struggles. Call out the one franchise player that we've had since Ewing & who turned our proud franchise his damn self... Amazing.

HarshMello

Benchwarmer
Did anyone see the Lakers game last night? Triple overtime and they played hard to the finish.

The team that finished the best wins the game.

Not a Lakers fan, but seeing that ending, can''t imagine this Knicks team winning a game like that.

It's not always about the lineup and stats, desire plays a huge part.

Losing games in the 4th, shows a lack of desire to finish.

STAT1

Starter
In the words of Charles Barkely and Kenny Smith:
"Kenny,Whats a PF that doesn't average 10+ rebounds?"

"Oh, thats a Small Foward..."

Using that definition there's only 6 PF's in the NBA, the rest are SF's :teeth:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Amar'e has a lot of heart. He just doesn't have a strong defensive IQ. He needs discipline on that end. But, I don't think anyone should bad mouth the man who brought some semblance of basketball back to NY...

The guy carried our team to above .500 (at least until tonight). He has a lot of heart. Perhaps the biggest heart on that team. He has shown his prowess as a leader and I am happy to have him.

Amar'e is not a franchise player. Steve Nash was the franchise player in Phoenix. Players like Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan are franchise players.

I said it before and I say it again: STAT is a very very one dimensional player and that's definitely not enough to be a franchise player. He's an excellent sidekick to a franchise player and would be devastating in combination with Kobe or Wade, but on his own he's just a scorer. No defense, weak rebounding, turnover prone.

KingCharles34

All Star
Amar'e has a lot of heart. He just doesn't have a strong defensive IQ. He needs discipline on that end. But, I don't think anyone should bad mouth the man who brought some semblance of basketball back to NY...

The guy carried our team to above .500 (at least until tonight). He has a lot of heart. Perhaps the biggest heart on that team. He has shown his prowess as a leader and I am happy to have him.

This right here....Amare just doesnt know how to play defense. No one has ever taught him. And he'll never learn as long as hes playing for (Antoni)

nyk_nyk

All Star
^^

Its very interesting you say that. Remember, Amare came to the NBA right out of HS and never got some of the fundamentals you learn playing in college. Just about all college coaches teach everything about basketball because the guys are so young and most of the time need to refine their skills to a more organized game. Amare never benefitted from that and to make matters worse, came in playing for Dantoni. So he really never had a coach to refine his defense or make him care much about it at all. All he's ever known in this league is scoring at a high pace.

p0nder

Starter
^And Amar'e has said so himself. He did get some when D'ant left phoenix, but not a lot. I don't think it's about heart. Amar'e has a ton of it and proved to be a capable leader when he came to NY on his own to turn the knicks around.

We should be questioning why we are losing in the 4th qtr. and Where the Amar'e that averaged 30 points a game, most of them in the 2nd half has gone. And why it's going down like that. Last night we watched amar'e shoot 20 times. That's not good. Amar'e does not need that many shots to get going. He usually only needs about 12-15 to drop 30 points. This team is having major growing pains. As we try to figure out ways to work with melo and amar'e there are a lot of questions to be answered.

Late in the game, who do we give the ball to?
Who is going to shut down their front court offense?
Who can shut down a hot shooter on the perimiter?
How do you deal with the double's they throw at amar'e and melo?
What can billups do to get the Pick'n'roll clicking better?
what options do we have in line ups with only 2 stars on the floor, while we rest the 3rd?

These are all questions that still need answering. Some of them we have ideas about, some of them we are no closer to then before melo was even traded here.

All i know is that Amar'e is not leading the league in the 4th quarter anymore. A lot of it has to do with him getting worn down over the season and a lot has to do with the fact that Melo should be able to take some of the pressure off of amar'e, but Amar'e still feels the need to be the man.

When some of this pressure is gone and when this team defines the roles and line ups a little better we are going to see a vast improvement.

la2ny

Starter
^^

Its very interesting you say that. Remember, Amare came to the NBA right out of HS and never got some of the fundamentals you learn playing in college. Just about all college coaches teach everything about basketball because the guys are so young and most of the time need to refine their skills to a more organized game. Amare never benefitted from that and to make matters worse, came in playing for Dantoni. So he really never had a coach to refine his defense or make him care much about it at all. All he's ever known in this league is scoring at a high pace.
Exactly. Like that play where Earl Clark got a easy dunk while he was trotting back he didn't even give the effort to burst an try to catch even though he looked at the whole play develop. That right there shows me he's not worried about getting chewed out by coach for doing that. When you get that why should he change?

If you have kids that dont listen and do badd sh** all the time they're gonna keep doing it because they know the parents aren't going to discipline them. You whoop there *** and punish them, then they will start getting the point and listening.

KingCharles34

All Star
I might not be a KG fan but theres so man young to mid aged power fowards that can benefit greatly by studying the way he defends. Players like Bosh, Amare, Blake Griffin, Al Jefferson....if they knew how to play team defense and one on one defense, it would greatly elevate their value

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
He's the closest thing to a leader that this team has. There have been plenty of games where even if we lost, a comeback was mounted on the back of Amar'e. SMH at this thread.