What would you prefer: heart & hustle or X's & O's

smokes

Huge Member
So I guess this is gonna spark more debate over MDA but :lol:

I was just thinking, I don't really like Mike coaching here but there's no denying his coaching is successful with good players. Bottom line its not just Steve Nash or Marion or Amare who made that Phoenix team, MDA enhanced that team with his coaching.

And he also enhanced our 2008-2010 teams who were pretty awful talentwise (DLee franchise player anyone?) to the point where we weren't the laughing stock of the league anymore. It was actually nice to have the Nets back under us on the pile!

However, I just don't like him coaching us. New York has a reputation in basketball and that has nothing to do with winning or losing or scoring or running the floor, but with TOUGHNESS.

You can argue all day about whether MDA preaches any D or not but one thing he does not preach is toughness that is a definite. Hell even the bum-ass, retirement-age, false-teeth, bib-wearing Celtics have more toughness than us.

Honestly I would rather see the Knicks scrap and fight into the 8th seed and go out swinging than cruising into the 6th and playing like it barely even matters, like this is a done season.

Knicksdabest

Benchwarmer
i agree.ive always liked hard nose defensive basketball (similar to the way memphis plays now,and the knicks in the '90s). brings excitement to the game and good to see guys hustle and earn their paycheck

KingofNy

Starter
I think we'd all pretty much prefer a little of both...CONSISTENTLY and ESPECIALLY in the 4th quarter.

STAT1

Starter
So I guess this is gonna spark more debate over MDA but :lol:

I was just thinking, I don't really like Mike coaching here but there's no denying his coaching is successful with good players. Bottom line its not just Steve Nash or Marion or Amare who made that Phoenix team, MDA enhanced that team with his coaching.

And he also enhanced our 2008-2010 teams who were pretty awful talentwise (DLee franchise player anyone?) to the point where we weren't the laughing stock of the league anymore. It was actually nice to have the Nets back under us on the pile!

However, I just don't like him coaching us. New York has a reputation in basketball and that has nothing to do with winning or losing or scoring or running the floor, but with TOUGHNESS.

You can argue all day about whether MDA preaches any D or not but one thing he does not preach is toughness that is a definite. Hell even the bum-ass, retirement-age, false-teeth, bib-wearing Celtics have more toughness than us.

Honestly I would rather see the Knicks scrap and fight into the 8th seed and go out swinging than cruising into the 6th and playing like it barely even matters, like this is a done season.

I completely agree, I've always preferred a more hard nosed style of play. This finesse ball 3 ball chucking no defense no rebounding style of play belongs back in Phoenix, not in the mecca of basketball. I think targetting some nasty dudes that play with a chip on their shoulder should be Donnie Walsh's #1 priority this summer. This team really needs some raw dawgs playing next to Melo & STAT, some guys that will regulate when things get real physical during postseason play. Bring in someone like Kenyon Martin or Reggie Evans this summer & put Jeffries on the first cabride out of the city.

Not sure how the CBA works out this year but after re-signing Turiaf I'd like to see the Knicks target.

Jeff foster
Leonard Powe
Chris Wilcox
Jason Richardson

Except Richardson these arent MOA's type of players. So getting a Bill Laimbeer type to coach these guys would be paramount...

PG Billups/TD/Carter
SG Richardson/Fields
SF Melo/Williams/Walker
PF STAT/Powe/Wilcox
C Foster/Turiaf/Wilcox

jpz17

Starter
we are not a defensive team and any fool would realize that with this roster. the NBA isn't a defensive league anymore, anyway. get out of the 90s folks and join the 21st century.

STAT1

Starter
Not sure how the CBA works out this year but after re-signing Turiaf I'd like to see the Knicks target.

Jeff foster
Leonard Powe
Chris Wilcox
Jason Richardson

Except Richardson these arent MOA's type of players. So getting a Bill Laimbeer type to coach these guys would be paramount...

PG Billups/TD/Carter
SG Richardson/Fields
SF Melo/Williams/Walker
PF STAT/Powe/Wilcox
FC Foster/Turiaf/Wilcox

I agree on Jeff Foster I think he's a player that would actually see playing time for this coach, he seems to fit his mold of a hard worker in practice that doesn't need much coaching to fill his role. Leon Powe would be a decent fill but really not the regulator player I had in mind. I want someone that'll make other guys afraid to bump our 2 main stars or else they'll face the consequences. Anthony Mason & Charles Oakley did that for Patrick Ewing. I think a guy like KMart or Evans would fit that role to a T. Kendrick Perkins woulda been ideal, too bad he signed that extension w/the Thunder. I would forget about Chris Wilcox, he was never one of MDA's favorites & he wasn't much of a hard worker in games or in practice he would more likely find his way in MDA's doghouse as he would seeing any real action during games.

I've actually always been intrigued by the idea of Bill Laimbeer as our coach but I have to believe there's a reason why he's never been given an opportunity to coach any other NBA team. The guy I would target other than the obvious Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan names would be either Nate McMillan or Scottie Brooks, I think both of them are great NBA coaches. Wouldn't hurt to bring back the karma to MSG & reverse the curse ever since we let Scottie go. :teeth:

STAT1

Starter
we are not a defensive team and any fool would realize that with this roster. the NBA isn't a defensive league anymore, anyway. get out of the 90s folks and join the 21st century.

Can you please name me the teams in the 21st century that have won championships without playing stellar defense & based their offense on a high volume of taking & making 3 pointers?

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
Can you please name me the teams in the 21st century that have won championships without playing stellar defense & based their offense on a high volume of taking & making 3 pointers?

Yeah, I would like to know that too. I never knew that playing absolutely no defense wins titles.