STAT go see "The. Dream" this coming off season

Dwight Howard was a Good/Great player in the past but now you might have to rank him up there with the all time great centers. Working with Olajowon (sp?) has done wonders for his offensive game. He's not just put backs and alley oops anymore. He's patient down in the paint and he passes well out of the paint. Imagine if we could get STAT to get some of that dream shake love.

Just a thought...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Olajuwon? Isn't Ewing the one that's been working with Dwight on his offensive game?

Nah it's been well documented that Dwight went to see The Dream this past offseason.

Kind of a slap in the face to Ewing if you ask me.. Can't say it hasn't been effective tho.

Amare should absolutely go see Hakeem. That's a no-brainer..

This past off season Howard worked with The Dream to enhance his low post moves. It has worked wonders. I love the way he passes the ball out then resets even closer to the basket...

STAT1

Starter
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. I agree this season Dwight's offensive game has taken a big step, his post game is so much more fluid than it's been in past years & he's developed a decent short range J as well.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. I agree this season Dwight's offensive game has taken a big step, his post game is so much more fluid than it's been in past years & he's developed a decent short range J as well.

Dwight and Haekeem worked together for like 2 hours. I'm sure the dream is a good teacher, but there is no way he's that good. I think Ewing and Howard's work ethic deserve most of the credit.

STAT1

Starter
Nah it's been well documented that Dwight went to see The Dream this past offseason.

Kind of a slap in the face to Ewing if you ask me.. Can't say it hasn't been effective tho.

Amare should absolutely go see Hakeem. That's a no-brainer..

I don't think Amare needs much work on his offensive game. I'd much rather STAT went & hung out with Oakley or Dikembe this summer & worked on his interior defense.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I don't think Amare needs much work on his offensive game. I'd much rather STAT went & hung out with Oakley or Dikembe this summer & worked on his interior defense.

Can't argue w that.. Hakeem could teach plenty on interior D too though. He was great 2-way player.

Looks like to me he worked out with him during the NBA finals. Whats that two weeks?

Dwight Howard Consults With Hakeem, Not Having Any Heat Talk

dwighthoward-220x145.jpg
label-share.png

label-topics.png

by Glenn Davis | 8:09 am, August 3rd, 2010
Dwight Howard talked to reporters yesterday ? well, about some things. Other topics (specifically the new-look Miami Heat), he wasn?t as willing to discuss. But for Magic fans, something else he talked about might be a lot more important, anyway.
First, his refusal to get into the Heat:
Howard deflected almost every reference to the Heat at the start of his annual basketball camp Monday after telling reporters he wouldn?t discuss his Florida foes.
?The Big Two is in Orlando: Stan and Patrick,? Howard said, chuckling, referring to Magic coach Stan Van Gundy and assistant Patrick Ewing. ?I?m not talking about the Miami Heat.?
We understand why he might be tired of hearing about the Heat, but also give the assembled reporters some credit for apparently trying everything they could. But here?s what they did get out of him that?s good news to anyone who cares about Howard as a player or the Magic: he?s been working out with legendary center Hakeem Olajuwon.
?Howard?s biggest trip came when he worked out with Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon in Texas during the NBA finals. Olajuwon invited Howard to his home after they talked in the playoffs.
Often criticized for a lack of post moves and a mid-range jumper, Howard said he made big strides through his workouts with Olajuwon, who also has helped Lakers star Kobe Bryant among other NBA players recently. Howard plans to spend another week with Olajuwon before next season begins.
This is great news for Howard?s development if he?s made as big strides as he says, and the ?spending another week? part is even better news. The fact that Kobe went to Hakeem to develop his low-post game says it all ? namely, that this is a great guy to consult with.
And it?s great to see Howard showing this kind of dedication to expanding his game, to being more than a physical specimen. Bill Simmons lamented that Howard might be ?too nice? to reach his potential, and Olajuwon seemed to echo those concerns:
?Basically, what he was saying was I have to become a person that is not afraid to do anything on the floor,? Howard said. ?He said right now there?s only certain parts of my game that I?m not afraid to do, but other parts I am. I have to be able to do all of those things, basically. That?s the biggest thing I took from him.
?I just think he was watching and seeing me play for a while,? Howard added. ?All the things we worked on, he was just wondering why I never used those things in a game. He saw all the things that I could do, and he was very impressed. He said that I cannot be afraid to do all these things.?
If he really takes this to heart and asserts himself more on the court (i.e. take more than 10 shots a game), it could be very fun to watch. And either way, he deserves credit for making the effort ? it has to warm the hearts of NBA fans to see a superstar hungry to get better.

smokes

Huge Member
If Stat wanted to learn D why not. He shows flashes like tonight where you can see his size and athletic ability turn into defensive potential, but he can't seem to turn it on and off and it is a rarity.

These guys should be looking to improve their weak areas you know great players will work on their game long into their careers and Melo and Stat should be cleaning up some weaknesses.

And we all know what Stats glaring weakness is!

KingofNy

Starter
If Stat wanted to learn D why not. He shows flashes like tonight where you can see his size and athletic ability turn into defensive potential, but he can't seem to turn it on and off and it is a rarity.

These guys should be looking to improve their weak areas you know great players will work on their game long into their careers and Melo and Stat should be cleaning up some weaknesses.

And we all know what Stats glaring weakness is!

Stat could be a great defender with his quick hands & feet and length combined with the right coaching... It's too bad he's had Antoni as his coach his whole career. Imagine if he started under a D guru? Sick.

KingCharles34

All Star
Everybodys always talkin bout how Dwights improved offensively this year but i dont see it. Hes still turnover prone and clumsy, he might have got a little better but he could still be much better offensively

Hakeem is/was basically a better version of Pat Ewing, I would love for Amare to work with him. Amare has to do something this defense or else the knicks will never be a championship team unless we get Dwight Howard or Bynum to put at center

iJoe

Rotation player
Does Dwight play like Ewing? No. He does not shoot turnaround fadeaways.

Have you guys ever seen Ewing play?! He plays absolutely nothing like Dwight.

The guy needs real post moves. He needs to learn from likes of Kareem and Mchale.

As for Howard's post moves, his right hook is a ton better and he's definitely using spin moves a lot more.

Back on track, I think this is a great idea. Hakeem's playstyle is a lot more adaptable to Amare than Howard. Amare dreamshake? That would be the day....