Chauncey WANTS to remain in NY

Billups Wants To Stay In New York

Apr 01, 2011 4:26 PM EDT
Billups_Chauncey_nyk_110226.jpg
Chauncey Billups believes he has plenty of quality play ahead of him and would like to remain in New York.

"I feel like I got a lot of great basketball left in me," Billups said. "I want to give it to the city of New York. Hopefully, they want it as well. If not, then I'm going to play some good basketball somewhere else. That's the way I feel, that's the mentality I have to have. But I hope that it's here, man."

"I'm looking forward to playing against these guys and just letting people know I'm still here," Billups said, responding to a question about going up against the Nets and their star point guard Deron Williams. "I'm not going nowhere yet."

Via Newsday
Chauncey Billups, New York Knicks, NBA, NBA Misc Rumor

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212757/Billups_Wants_To_Stay_In_New_York
Just posting this for anyone who questions where this guy's heart is at and if he really wants to be here. It sounds sincere to me.

I don't see Chauncey as the selfish type. He's a professional. I truely believe he means what he says when he said "I hope it's here, man"

iSaYughh

Starter
Agree w Trillion, too. Thats the crux.

I'm sure he truly does want to stay here...but the $ is a huge part of that.

Not that he's selfish...or a selfish player...and not very professional.

But the 12M is the most he will get, and the most he will ever get again as a big payday in a season. Especially at his age.

And with the cba looming....Getting cut and finding a new team, relocating again, and likely taking a huge pay slash would be a bitch n a half for him.

Of course it's NOT about the money.

Billups isn't a fool, he's not a stupid man. He not only knows, but also understands that no team will be willing to pay a 35 year old veteran PG 14M.

It's just nice to see that his heart seems to be in NY & he's making it known he feels he has alot of great basketball left. Only time will tell.

I'd love to have Billups back. But not for anything more than 5M. Buy his contract out for 2M & save 12M. Sign him for 5M per & save 7M after the buyout & new contract. Take that 7M in search for a quality free agent Center.

petescud

Starter
I'd love to have Billups back. But not for anything more than 5M. Buy his contract out for 2M & save 12M. Sign him for 5M per & save 7M after the buyout & new contract. Take that 7M in search for a quality free agent Center.

I agree. He's a good point guard, but more like 7 mil tops...I don't see him getting more then that on the open market at his age

Unless the lowered salary would be still likely above what he'd get on a post-CBA market.

Idk tho. It'd be ideal.

Definitely.. I'd love it if he did.. But I try to look at things how I would if I were in the situation. If I were him I'd never agree to that.. I'd be open to it after that year is up tho..

smokes

Huge Member
Definitely.. I'd love it if he did.. But I try to look at things how I would if I were in the situation. If I were him I'd never agree to that.. I'd be open to it after that year is up tho..

It all depends on his own personality. Plenty of players have taken paycuts around the place, even if it's clear they deserved more.

I think Chauncey and Melo have a real camradarie, which I think would be silly to break up. I also think Chauncey is enjoying the prospect of mentoring TD23 and probably sees something in him (Billups has a history of mentoring great PGs).

He knows what it takes to win and every winning team he has been a part of has had a solid defensive big man (sheed, nene) and he knows we need one too. That re-negotiated deal would still be good for him, he will lose a few million in the short-term but get long term security in NY and know he will be playing alongside Melo and Stat for the remainder of his career most likely.

I've been singing Billups praises since day one and if we can keep him and sign a big man in the offseason next year is going to be off the hook for Knicks fans.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Billups Buy-out

If kept, Billups gets $14.2M next year. His buyout is $3.7M, though Vecsey recently wrote it was $3.75M. If we keep him, we have zero cap space. If we buy him out, we save about $10.5M, but the resultant cap space, using last year's $58M cap, will be about $8M.

If we keep him, he will have an expiring contract which may be of some use. I would not trust a cap friendly 2012/13 particularly when the combination of Melo and Amare' will be taking down over $40M.

I like Billups, but if we buy him out and then sign him for $5M or so we would only have a couple million in cap space. I think he would prefer to go back home to Denver.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Billups has said this about other teams. I think he's just proud to represent his current and would never leave if they offered him back as long as he's happy.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Billups has said this about other teams. I think he's just proud to represent his current and would never leave if they offered him back as long as he's happy.

Agreed.

Not gonna presume to know what he'd settle for, but from what i can tell, Billups is a loyal player. I also think he likes the makeup of the team and the direction it's going in. I think, inevitably, he knows to stay he'd have to take a pay cut. His comments seem to indicate he'd be willing to.

moneyg

Starter
If kept, Billups gets $14.2M next year. His buyout is $3.7M, though Vecsey recently wrote it was $3.75M. If we keep him, we have zero cap space. If we buy him out, we save about $10.5M, but the resultant cap space, using last year's $58M cap, will be about $8M.

If we keep him, he will have an expiring contract which may be of some use. I would not trust a cap friendly 2012/13 particularly when the combination of Melo and Amare' will be taking down over $40M.

I like Billups, but if we buy him out and then sign him for $5M or so we would only have a couple million in cap space. I think he would prefer to go back home to Denver.

by keepin billups, your over the cap and can use the MLE..if you buy him out.. you make get a better big.. but you got a major hole at PG

STAT1

Starter
I might be in the minority on this forum but I happen to believe Chauncey has a lot of great basketball left in him & I think we would do well to keep him past this season. He's struggled after his thigh bruise injury but last game he got it going offensively & I think he brings a ton of leadership & experience to this squad. Love the work he's doing with Toney Douglas, he finally seems like he's actually grasping how to orchestrate an offense which was never really there before Chauncey got here. Unless we're upgrading with someone like Deron, CP3 or Nash, I think keeping Chauncey is our best option at PG. Probably buying him out & negotiating a lower money extension to give us some cap flexibility to sign a C would be the ideal way to go.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I might be in the minority on this forum but I happen to believe Chauncey has a lot of great basketball left in him & I think we would do well to keep him past this season. He's struggled after his thigh bruise injury but last game he got it going offensively & I think he brings a ton of leadership & experience to this squad. Love the work he's doing with Toney Douglas, he finally seems like he's actually grasping how to orchestrate an offense which was never really there before Chauncey got here. Unless we're upgrading with someone like Deron, CP3 or Nash, I think keeping Chauncey is our best option at PG. Probably buying him out & negotiating a lower money extension to give us some cap flexibility to sign a C would be the ideal way to go.
Plus the Playoffs have yet to happen.

by keepin billups, your over the cap and can use the MLE..if you buy him out.. you make get a better big.. but you got a major hole at PG
I think TD will be enough, We would also have a major hole at C if we keep Chauncey. I think we should just Fire MDA and sign Dalembert & Przybilla and then draft Kenneth Faried.Then our defense and rebounding would improve tremendously.

Guys i also wanted to know about what do you guys think about trading Bill Walker and Rautins for Jason Thompson? I know Rautins is good friends with Fields but lets face it the guy is mediocre at best.

Here are Jason Thompson's career stats:

<table class="statsHeader" width="742" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="gSGSectionTitleStatsGrid" width="738"> Career Season Averages
</td> <td width="2">
stats_header_lft.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="playerStatTable careerAvg" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="title"> <td class="year">Year</td> <td class="team">Team</td> <td>G</td> <td>GS</td> <td>MPG</td> <td>FG%</td> <td>3P%</td> <td>FT%</td> <td>OFF</td> <td>DEF</td> <td>RPG</td> <td>APG</td> <td>SPG</td> <td>BPG</td> <td>TO</td> <td>PF</td> <td>PPG</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td class="yr">08-09</td> <td class="tm">SAC</td> <td>82</td> <td>56</td> <td>28.1</td> <td>0.497</td> <td>0.000</td> <td>0.692</td> <td>2.9</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>7.4</td> <td>1.1</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>0.7</td> <td>1.78</td> <td>3.83</td> <td>11.1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="yr">09-10</td> <td class="tm">SAC</td> <td>75</td> <td>58</td> <td>31.4</td> <td>0.472</td> <td>0.100</td> <td>0.715</td> <td>3.0</td> <td>5.5</td> <td>8.5</td> <td>1.7</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>1.0</td> <td>1.85</td> <td>3.72</td> <td>12.5</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td class="yr">10-11</td> <td class="tm">SAC</td> <td>67</td> <td>39</td> <td>22.9</td> <td>0.490</td> <td>0.000</td> <td>0.604</td> <td>1.9</td> <td>4.2</td> <td>6.0</td> <td>1.1</td> <td>0.4</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>1.37</td> <td>2.85</td> <td>8.4</td></tr></tbody></table>
This guy is still young and has a lot of potential,he is also cheap and the only reason his numbers have dropped this year is because the Kings now have Cousins and Dalembert.