dampier

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
talks on dampier have died down in the past week, and more talk of vin baker. Does this mean that the big man we need to put us over the top really isnt coming to ny

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
I read that Memphis really wants him but they won't include Swift in a sign and trade...Indiana wants him...but they don't have the pieces to give up...the Knicks obviously want him...but for what players and what price...Atlanta can pay him straight up...

I still think he ends up in NY!!!!!!!!!!

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
talks on dampier have died down in the past week, and more talk of vin baker. Does this mean that the big man we need to put us over the top really isnt coming to ny

I think we're in la la land if we think for a moment that Dampier is going to put us on top. We'll be a nice playoff team, but far from contenders for a title. We still don't have a back to the basket scoring. We're willing to pay $9 million for a nonscoring center who's never had a winning season? I thought that when you have a dominant center you win games. :rolling: Don't teams with veteran, dominant centers at least make it to the playoffs? If he's as good as we think he is has he made anyone on the Warriors better? Acquiring Dampier and Crawford alone wil not get us past Miami, Indiana or Detroit. We have no one to offset anyone defensively inside. History has showed Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber, Dirk Nowitzki and previously Rasheed Wallace, that you need to be able to score inside to win in the finals or even get there. Frontline of Kurt Thomas & Dampier; Sweetney and Dampier; Mohammad & Dampier; won't get it done.
[/quote]

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
The question then is ...if Dampier doesn't help us ...who would?

Sure Dampier has his limitations...but rebounding, shot blocking and just plain being physical are three things the Knicks lacked...with the rest of the team you don't need to run plays for him to score and with the penetration of Marbury and Crawford causing other teams to rotate on D, Dampier should be able to clean up the offensive glass and get points that way...
He may not be perfect...but, he is a good fit for this year's team

WiL8000

Rotation player
No matter what, I like to remain positive about the upcoming season. I think getting Dampier would be great, the moves Isiah Thomas has made so far are great. Even if no other trades are made this summer I think we have a better team. We have guards that can draw the defense out a bit, and we can then feed the ball inside. The other teams defense will have to draw their attetion away from Marbury now, with Houston back and Crawford in the mix.

I really don't see Kurt Thomas being a Knick past the midseason. If he gets traded I only hope we get back something good. What the Knicks desperately need that other successful teams have, is chemistry. The team we had in the playoffs was thrown together, and did alright considering the circumstances (still I would have hoped for better).

This year the Knicks have a chance to improve their chemistry, and I think it will happen. Vin Baker should be improved over the summer as well. The guy had surgery, when he first came to play for NY he never had a chance to clear the cobwebbs. To be a true playoff contender, we definately need a good center, it just may not happen until we're into the season a bit.

I personally do not think Miami will be any better than last year. That team over achieved all year last year and played well. I know they have Shaq, but have you seen the rest of the roster. Other than Dwayne Wade and Eddie Jones, its ugly.
Miami has no where near the supporting cast that the Lakers had. I like Indiana, Detroit and NY(if they aquire Dampier) this year as the teams to beat in the conference. :hump:

David

jayp

Benchwarmer
Sure Dampier has his limitations...but rebounding, shot blocking and just plain being physical are three things the Knicks lacked...with the rest of the team you don't need to run plays for him to score and with the penetration of Marbury and Crawford causing other teams to rotate on D, Dampier should be able to clean up the offensive glass and get points that way...

i agree.. we have enough guys who can be relied on to score.. we need inside presence badly..

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i do want dampier in da knicks cause he is a big body but i think he is overrated cause b4 last year he was an average player and last year was his contract year and he has to step up if he wants a contract in da nba

dacash

Benchwarmer
i agree last year miami played a hobbled hornets team and won.dampier will cause us to compete better against taller teams,remember when they played a team with big men the opposing team only had to throw the ball inside. but with dampier he could clog the middle a bit.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
how bout the rumors that dampier said he might sign for the 4.9 mle. does anybody think that thats dmapier just trying to get a bigger contractf from the warroirs

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
The more I read, the more convinced I am that Damp will either go to the Griz...or more likely the Hawks...he won't sign a one year contract with NY and I don't think we have a package that Golden State wants...I think we need to set our focus elsewhere...I would love Damp to be a Knick...but, it just isn't going to happen.

kriss childs

Benchwarmer
Hey, bottom line is even without the Damp deal, NY is now a 4-5 seed in the playoffs.This gives them an outside shot at the 2nd round and if Allen is healthy NY WILL be tough to beat.But I do think there's 1 more deal out there....

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
Center wasn't our problem last year. If was PF position. Starting Kurt Thomas is like starting two SFs. He's all perimeter. He never has great rebounding days. When was the last time you saw Kurt block a shot, slam a put back, finish a break, have a 10 or more rebound game? He averages 7 rebounds ( 2 offensive ) for his career, under 0.78 blocks a game. In half the minutes Stromile Swift betters most of his averages. If we can trade Kurt Thomas for Swift let's do it. He's the real deal. I think he's available.

e_D

Benchwarmer
Man, as nice as Swift could be, I don't think we have a chance of landing him. West will match any offer made for him (we have no cap space anyway), you think he'd work a trade scenario for any of our players? From how it sounds, Isiah hasn't even made any attempts or shown any interest. (why not, Isiah?) As strong a lineup as that would give us, it wont happen. :cry:

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
although i agree that we werent that strong atpf last season, i still think we were alot weaker at center. NAzr is and always will be a mediocre nba center, and mutombo was just over the hill. As far as the pf problem and getting low rebounds at that spot. I think well see some of those problems go away when sweetney is playing pf during the game he shows potential

JJtheKnick

Starter
the knicks dont have the money to get him. they have to find money some how. he wants to come to NY but hes not ganna come here if they dont offer him the money he likes.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
Dampier is an agressive and physical player. I dont see any other player on the knicks playing agressive really other than Marbury so i do think thats something we lack. Kurts 8 rebounds a game isnt the problem its that were getting less boards at the center spot.

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
so what would people be willing to give up for Damp? They say GS will only accept a great trade...what would we have to give up?
Sweetney and a #1?