Where Art Thou Amar'eo?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
CAN I PLAY WITH YOU GUYS?

large.jpg

Our cornerstone and leader, Amar'e Stoudemire, doesn't have a set play in crunch time of a big game? Does that seem a bit odd to you?

It does to me!

Where was STAT, on the offensive end, in the last 6 minutes of the 4th quarter in what very nearly became one of the most disappointing losses of the season?

He made 2 crucial defensive plays in the last 6 minutes of the game. Plays worthy of reciprocating an opportunity to once again deliver offensively with momentum on his side.

You'd have to assume there was something amiss, wouldn't you? Something a bit awry about the factor of him being a non-factor.

There was something amiss. Actually it was one thing amiss, and another that went missing.

#1 Was the fact that Billups suffered a contusion to his right thigh and did not return to the game after his assessment. The result of his absence was the quick precipitation of our team offence as Toney Douglas, who as good as he was, is and can be, is not a point guard.

#2 Was the fact - and will remain the fact without adulteration - that this team doesn't run plays for STAT to get the ball in a motion set with the opportunity - provided by design or created by himself - to be aggressive offensively. Why!? WTF!?

Now before I go on, I'd like to say that I know my complaints (especially in game threads) become irritating, but if I see an issue, I stomp it! And this, to me, is a big warty, poopy, smelly issue.

To really drive my point across, I went back and watched the 4th quarter of yesterday's game on my computer for the sake of backing up my claim. I've broken the quarter in to quarters: 4 3 minute sections separated in specific categories. Keep in mind that for the majority of the time, Amar'e was being guarded by Maurice Speights
facepalm2.gif

Here 'tis

Minutes 12-9

Legitimate Scoring Touches/Opportunities: 3

Transition/Non Scoring Touches/Touches On Bad Possessions: 1 - Transition skip pass.

Missed P&R Touches: 1 - off 1 pick

Minutes 9-6

Legitimate Scoring Touches/Opportunities: 1 - Called for a charge

Transition/Non Scoring Touches/Touches On Bad Possessions: 1 got the ball with 2 on the clock for a brick. Almost got T7d for throwing the ball.

P&R Passes/Opportunities: 1 - off 1 pick

Overlooked On The High Post: 1

mins 6-3: 15-4 run for Philly

Legitimate Scoring Touches/Opportunities: 1 - 2 seconds left on the 24

Missed P&R Touches/Opportunities: 1

Transition/Non Scoring Touches/Touches On Bad Possessions: 1 - 3 point shot with 2 left on the 24.

Missed High Post/Low post Opportunities: 1 - posted up once

● During this span we had 3 24 second violations and a turnover resulting in 7 points from Philly.

Minutes 3-1: Lost lead on another TO at approx 2:50 (Meeks)

Legitimate Scoring Touches: 0

Missed P&R Opportunities: 2

Missed High Post/Post Opportunities: 1 - high post

FT attempts in 4th quarter by Captain STAT: 0

NYK FGs Made in the 4th quarter: 2.

NYK 3FGs made in the 4th quarter: 3

WHEW!

So how's that? That is not embellished in any way, either.

★ So what do you have to say about that knicksonline.com?

We didn't run a play for Amar'e - leading 4th quarter scorer in the NBA - in the last 6 minutes of another game that almost slipped away from us in an attempt to relieve the very team we were playing of 6th seed.

Are we really going to talk about jelling after 20+ games? Really?

That's not cutting the mustard. I get that when the cogs are moving in the offence that MD's system really, really is successful.

But come on! Draw up a play for Amar'e! Sheesh!:smokin:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Not to beat a dead horse but I have been saying that Amare relies on a PG who can get him the ball in his sweet spots. This thread is a perfect example of how Amare's game can be nullified in crunch time with out the ability of a playmaker who can penetrate and hit Amare in motion. Without that Amre is relegated to a jump shot from the perimeter since teams look to double him when the game is on the line forcing other players to beat them. Fortunately we have Melo who is a true ISO player that can score without being fed the ball in motion.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Not to beat a dead horse but I have been saying that Amare relies on a PG who can get him the ball in his sweet spots. This thread is a perfect example of how Amare's game can be nullified in crunch time with out the ability of a playmaker who can penetrate and hit Amare in motion. Without that Amre is relegated to a jump shot from the perimeter since teams look to double him when the game is on the line forcing other players to beat them. Fortunately we have Melo who is a true ISO player that can score without being fed the ball in motion.

So are you saying that STAT and Melo/Douglas/Fields are incapable of any sort of symbiosis on the offensive end?

And isn't Amar'e an ISO capable player?

Can't we run a V Cut for our Captain?

Post him up on a deliberate mismatch?

ie: Run a play.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
i agree that TD is not a pure 1 and so he probably missed stat in some situations late in the game. but stat's game by definition is effective either in pick and roll or motion. if those 2 arent available he'll have to settle for a elbow jumper from 16ft out....and no knock on stat but we have a gunner who specialty is that midrange game so i'd rather have melo take that midrange shot.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Crazy⑧s;173200 said:
So are you saying that STAT and Melo/Douglas/Fields are incapable of any sort of symbiosis on the offensive end?

And isn't Amar'e an ISO capable player?

Can't we run a V Cut for our Captain?

Post him up on a deliberate mismatch?

ie: Run a play.

Capable? Sure, he is an elite athlete and star and could be capable of just about anything. He could be capable of shooting the 3 pointer nightly but I don't think anyone would advocate that. It's about maximizing what stars do best and Amare is one of the best finishers in the game. He is not a back to the basket post player and his face the basket ISO game often leads to a turnover.

For Amare to truly be effective beyond the mid range jumper especially in crunch time when the defense is locked in he needs a PG that can get him the ball in motion in the PnR or after breaking down the defense. I base that assertion on Amare's entire career and how he struggled early this season before Felton settled into the offense.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
i agree that TD is not a pure 1 and so he probably missed stat in some situations late in the game. but stat's game by definition is effective either in pick and roll or motion. if those 2 arent available he'll have to settle for a elbow jumper from 16ft out....and no knock on stat but we have a gunner who specialty is that midrange game so i'd rather have melo take that midrange shot.

Perfect post that echoes what I have said time and again. Welcome to KO.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
He was HURT! If he didn't turn his ankle, sure I feel you. But they're saying he's even questionable for tomorrow's game against NJ, so it must have been enough to keep him in check during those last 6 min.

People on here are worse than the media, I swear if some of you wrote for the papers, we would be DOOMED. That's what online forums are for though!! =)

nyk_nyk

All Star
Capable? Sure, he is an elite athlete and star and could be capable of just about anything. He could be capable of shooting the 3 pointer nightly but I don't think anyone would advocate that. It's about maximizing what stars do best and Amare is one of the best finishers in the game. He is not a back to the basket post player and his face the basket ISO game often leads to a turnover.

For Amare to truly be effective beyond the mid range jumper especially in crunch time when the defense is locked in he needs a PG that can get him the ball in motion in the PnR or after breaking down the defense. I base that assertion on Amare's entire career and how he struggled early this season before Felton settled into the offense.

Why is it so difficult for you to at least point out the fact that a play should have been run from the bench ie COACH. Dantoni did nothing. Not even a timeout to get the troops together while PHI was on that crazy run. IS it not the coach's job, especially when our starter goes down, to help facilitate things with a few plays?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Why is it so difficult for you to at least point out the fact that a play should have been run from the bench ie COACH. Dantoni did nothing. Not even a timeout to get the troops together while PHI was on that crazy run. IS it not the coach's job, especially when our starter goes down, to help facilitate things with a few plays?

I was talking about Amare and our lack of a playmaking PG. If you wish to talk about the coach you are free to do so. Stop trying to tell me what I should post and do you dude.

p0nder

Starter
Only thing I have noticed drop off about Amar'e is his 4th quarter scoring. I don't know if it is fatigue or what, but he was leading the league in 4th qt. points earlier this year and has dropped in that stat dramatically.

This last game goes to show you how the teams mentality has been focused on D a lot more, from Amar'e on down.

Amar'e expended his effort on defense and wasn't able to get it going in motion in the 4th. he was injured so you can chalk that up right there, but he still put a lot of his effort on defense this game around.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
i aint tryna correct you but i think i heard an annoucer say stat is still leading the L in 4th quarter scoring at 6 something a game.
and not for nuthin but i kinda liked amare's game last nite. we should consistently have at least one knick who has a will chandler typa all around game. amare came thru with the points, the assists, the rebs (well mabey not so much the rebs , he is amare after all :) ) and def the blocks at the end.
Only thing I have noticed drop off about Amar'e is his 4th quarter scoring. I don't know if it is fatigue or what, but he was leading the league in 4th qt. points earlier this year and has dropped in that stat dramatically.

This last game goes to show you how the teams mentality has been focused on D a lot more, from Amar'e on down.

Amar'e expended his effort on defense and wasn't able to get it going in motion in the 4th. he was injured so you can chalk that up right there, but he still put a lot of his effort on defense this game around.

p0nder

Starter
i did enjoy the defensive intensity he brought and his assist numbers are up, showing that he is trying to facilitate more. that is something we saw ewing do a lot of, so it's encouraging for me to see that,

I did not think he was still leading the league, maybe i just assumed that. It seems to me his scoring overall AND his 4th quarter points are down. If he's still leading the 4th quarter then color me impressed, especially considering the lack of offense on that 1-9 stretch

Blumatic

Rotation player
Amar'e is not a great closer. He is capable but Melo is so good at it. Melo is built more for crunch time than STAT.

He needs a post game. And patience in the post. It would cut down his turnovers so much. He should put the Sky hook into his game. He would be unstoppable.

smokes

Huge Member
I don't get this thread at all. The OP is a well put together thread asking why we don't utilize Amare effectively especially in late game situations (effectively by running the occasional play for him).

Then the replies are talking about, bashing Amare, Amare being injured, and not having a pass first PG...

Ok so. This thread was no way bashing Amare. If anything it's bashing our coach for not having a go-to play to get us a good look at the basket in the paint area. But Crazy didn't go so far as to explicitly bash the coach.

Amare may have rolled his ankle but you can see this trend in several of the big games recently, most notably the Orlando game where he basically did not touch the ball in OT.

And about a pass first PG, when BILLUPS was in the game both Billups and TD were running some good plays with Amare, when BILLUPS left the game our offense fell apart. Trillion I know you didn't mention Billups by name but I assume when you say you "hate to beat a dead horse" that he is what you're alluding to. If you can't see that Billups was one of the main reasons our team was up 16 last night and that him leaving the game was the main cause of our decline then I think your bias against Billups is clouding your viewpoint.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I don't get this thread at all. The OP is a well put together thread asking why we don't utilize Amare effectively especially in late game situations (effectively by running the occasional play for him).

Then the replies are talking about, bashing Amare, Amare being injured, and not having a pass first PG...

Ok so. This thread was no way bashing Amare. If anything it's bashing our coach for not having a go-to play to get us a good look at the basket in the paint area. But Crazy didn't go so far as to explicitly bash the coach.

Amare may have rolled his ankle but you can see this trend in several of the big games recently, most notably the Orlando game where he basically did not touch the ball in OT.

And about a pass first PG, when BILLUPS was in the game both Billups and TD were running some good plays with Amare, when BILLUPS left the game our offense fell apart. Trillion I know you didn't mention Billups by name but I assume when you say you "hate to beat a dead horse" that he is what you're alluding to. If you can't see that Billups was one of the main reasons our team was up 16 last night and that him leaving the game was the main cause of our decline then I think your bias against Billups is clouding your viewpoint.

Main reason? He had ZERO assists, 3 points, 1 turnover and Holiday was abusing him...

P.S. It's obvious you take exception to my assertion about Billups so tell us how not having a playmaker who can get Amare the ball doesn't play a part in Amare's production especially late in the game.

smokes

Huge Member
Main reason? He had ZERO assists, 3 points, 1 turnover and Holiday was abusing him...

P.S. It's obvious you take exception to my assertion about Billups so tell us how not having a playmaker who can get Amare the ball doesn't play a part in Amare's production especially late in the game.

Did you watch the game though?

He also had 5 rebounds, +9 efficiency (highest on the team) and Holiday was in no way abusing Billups :lol: he might have got past him once all game that I saw...

I'm not saying the lack of PG didn't hurt Amare, of course it did. I'm saying our lack of a PG to get Amare the ball was due to Billups getting hurt, and TD not playing with any kind of confidence in the 4th quarter last night.

smokes

Huge Member
Amar'e is not a great closer. He is capable but Melo is so good at it. Melo is built more for crunch time than STAT.

He needs a post game. And patience in the post. It would cut down his turnovers so much. He should put the Sky hook into his game. He would be unstoppable.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Amare is an ok closer yes. His 4th quarter stats are obviously skewed this season being that he was the only go to scorer on this team for over 50 games, and definitely the only one with any clutch ability.

Still, I'd rather Amare was getting a look close to the basket than Billups spotting up for 3 (purely because it's a much higher % bucket). Though right now I honestly wouldn't know, Amare has blown quite a few easy layups and dunks in the last few games down the stretch I think his swag has been used and abused too much this year. Hopefully he gets it back for the playoffs.

And put Amare in a room with Hakeem the Dream this offseason and let him learn a post move or two, that thread got my balls tingling (no homo).