DeAndre or CP3

Who would you rather have on the Knicks?

• DeAndre Jordan

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Chris Paul

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

Hayato

Benchwarmer
i highly doubt its even possible for us to get them both.. i understand people slobbering over jordan because he's a defensive center who gets rebounds and blocks and whatnot, but cp3 is just an uncanny player..didnt shaq go to the celtics for cheap? theres not many other older former-great centers left in the league, but its highly unlikely to think that theres no way we can pick up a serviceable defensive big man for cheap. what ever happened to makin a move for dalembert or camby

i highly doubt its even possible for us to get them both.. i understand people slobbering over jordan because he's a defensive center who gets rebounds and blocks and whatnot, but cp3 is just an uncanny player..didnt shaq go to the celtics for cheap? theres not many other older former-great centers left in the league, but its highly unlikely to think that theres no way we can pick up a serviceable defensive big man for cheap. what ever happened to makin a move for dalembert or camby
Cp3 plus veteran centers like Przybilla, Mohammed, Foster.

oshi

Benchwarmer
I know young bigmen have became a rarity but DeAndre over CP3 really? Anyone who would pick DeAndre is an idiot. Seriously I can see it now: Knicks give DeAndre some big money long term deal and he busts. CP3 is a proven superstar.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer

Of course if we are given the opportunity to grab Cp3-- We do it in a heartbeat. Superstars don't come easy- and this is what this guy is. Arguably the BEST PG in the league next to DRose.

Cp3 1st, then Jordan.

We can always nab a Vet Center like mentioned earlier once we get Cp3.

Paul can run this offense and I believe that he will allow Amare and Melo to mesh and get them their 20+ per game without worrying about how many Pts he scores. Dude is an assist machine, and can help us on defense too with his steals per game. He has the brains being able to figure out things, how to breakdown a defense and execute well. He's like Brady out there on the basketball court with his smarts. You just don't find Cp3's everywhere, this guy is a STUD.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
People are talking about we can get any center, come on. We get DeAndre and that'd be significant, then we go for a solid pure PG. Imagine having a 20 something years of age version of Anthony Carter with Anthony Carter coming off the bench.

skisloper

Starter
Of course if we are given the opportunity to grab Cp3-- We do it in a heartbeat. Superstars don't come easy- and this is what this guy is. Arguably the BEST PG in the league next to DRose.

Cp3 1st, then Jordan.

We can always nab a Vet Center like mentioned earlier once we get Cp3.

Paul can run this offense and I believe that he will allow Amare and Melo to mesh and get them their 20+ per game without worrying about how many Pts he scores. Dude is an assist machine, and can help us on defense too with his steals per game. He has the brains being able to figure out things, how to breakdown a defense and execute well. He's like Brady out there on the basketball court with his smarts. You just don't find Cp3's everywhere, this guy is a STUD.

There is no better player then Chris Paul to mix in with Melo and Amare.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Cp3

I do not see how we can possibly get CP3. When he is available for the 2012/13 season, Melo and Amare's combined salaries will be $39.399M. Balkman will be on the books for another year at $1.675M. The person we draft this year will be in the $1.5M area. If we do not sign anyone else to contracts extending into 2012/13, these 4 are our only commitments. The total for them is about $42.6M. Toney Douglas will have a team option at $2,067M. Walker, Rautins and Fields will be free agents.

I will assume that the new CBA will not differ from the old CBA in requiring at least a 12 person cap roster and thus some phantom fillers at about $500K each. With 8 phantom fillers that would push our cap salaries to $46.6M. That would on the current cap of $58M give us less than $12M to sign CP3. I do not expect a higher cap in the new CBA

If we do not buy Billups out, he will have an expiring $14.2M contract next year. He will be 35 or 36 in the 2012/13 season. We have absolutely no assets in addition to give the Hornets in a sign and trade. Why in the world would they deal with us?

If we get a decent big in this year's draft, then perhaps he, Melo, Amare' and CP3 could be pretty damn good with 8 D leaguers, or veteran minimum or MLE contract players, if such contracts survive in the new CBA. But we would still be counting on CP3 taking a big discount. Amare' and Melo are scheduled to get $21,5 each in 2013/14 and $23.5M each in 2014/15. CP3 would likely be making almost $10M a year less. With his questionable knees, I think CP3 has got to take care of himself financially in his next contract and will want whatever the new CBA max will permit. And he will be well worth it for any team with the space. I do not see us having the room.

I am still confused as to what news, rumor, report, or statement has been provided to link us to Deandre Jordan; can someone please fill me in as to where this info is coming from ?

we have been discussing this on this forum for some time now, as if its a rumored acquisition, yet on realgm, prosportsdaily, the knicks blog, espn insider, hoopshype, bleacherreport.... and so on

I am yet to see or read or hear one report that says he is a target of the knicks in any way what so ever.

I only ask this because I am noticing a slow cascade of threads focused on D Jordan and I, M honest O... its wasted fodder.

I really dont see the point in probably spending close to 7-10 million dollars on a 7 footer who averages only 7 ppg and 7 rebounds a game.

Yes potential is wonderful, but why not the obsession with Javale Mcgee, his numbers are much better than Jordans, same age, and better for running our system.

in short, can some one explain the allure ?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I do not see how we can possibly get CP3. When he is available for the 2012/13 season, Melo and Amare's combined salaries will be $39.399M. Balkman will be on the books for another year at $1.675M. The person we draft this year will be in the $1.5M area. If we do not sign anyone else to contracts extending into 2012/13, these 4 are our only commitments. The total for them is about $42.6M. Toney Douglas will have a team option at $2,067M. Walker, Rautins and Fields will be free agents.

I will assume that the new CBA will not differ from the old CBA in requiring at least a 12 person cap roster and thus some phantom fillers at about $500K each. With 8 phantom fillers that would push our cap salaries to $46.6M. That would on the current cap of $58M give us less than $12M to sign CP3. I do not expect a higher cap in the new CBA

If we do not buy Billups out, he will have an expiring $14.2M contract next year. He will be 35 or 36 in the 2012/13 season. We have absolutely no assets in addition to give the Hornets in a sign and trade. Why in the world would they deal with us?

If we get a decent big in this year's draft, then perhaps he, Melo, Amare' and CP3 could be pretty damn good with 8 D leaguers, or veteran minimum or MLE contract players, if such contracts survive in the new CBA. But we would still be counting on CP3 taking a big discount. Amare' and Melo are scheduled to get $21,5 each in 2013/14 and $23.5M each in 2014/15. CP3 would likely be making almost $10M a year less. With his questionable knees, I think CP3 has got to take care of himself financially in his next contract and will want whatever the new CBA max will permit. And he will be well worth it for any team with the space. I do not see us having the room.

This. People need to come to terms with reality.

We likely do not have enough to even get Jordan. With our team salary being over $60 mil, if the cap stays the same or goes up as much as it did this year (+ $1 mil) we are over the cap with only 8 players on the roster. Would Jordan take the MLE? I expect him to get better offers. The MLE may not even exist next year.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

That's it in black and white, folks.

Miami's big 3 took less money to play as a trio. Think about it.

Paul1355

All Star
Bad comparison

How about Dwight Howard or Chris Paul?

I would rather have Dwight but Chris Paul is back and is destroying the Lakers.

If the Hornets win the series then Paul should be glorified.

We need size and we will get that with jerome jordan coming back and probably with our draft pick which should be a big man.

Deandre Jordan would be a great Knick, Gasol as well. I hope we can get somebody....maybe Tyson Chandler?

There are names out there

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Bad comparison

How about Dwight Howard or Chris Paul?

I would rather have Dwight but Chris Paul is back and is destroying the Lakers.

If the Hornets win the series then Paul should be glorified.

We need size and we will get that with jerome jordan coming back and probably with our draft pick which should be a big man.

Deandre Jordan would be a great Knick, Gasol as well. I hope we can get somebody....maybe Tyson Chandler?

There are names out there
theres no big worth drafting short of trading up for maurkeiff imo. if were drafting mid round i want hansbrough. if we wanna trade up it has to be kemba.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I voted DeAndre only because having CP3 on this team is not realistic.

Of course, if CP3 takes 10 million a year, that's a different story, but Miami's big 3 took a paycut to play with each other. It's going to be tough to convince CP3, the best point guard in the league after Rose, to take anything less than 15 mil/year.

STAT1

Starter
CP3 without question this is an easy one. D Jordan is a nice young player but CP3 is elite. Especially if MDA is our head coach, we need an elite PG like CP3 to run his system, because it's painfully obvious that unless MDA has one his SSOL system gets exposed.

That said, we won't know anything until the new CBA gets negotiated. We may have enough room under the cap to sign CP3 outright next summer. It all depends if he's willing to wait it out for a year & play ball, pretty much the same scenario we faced with Melo this season, though different because the CBA will already have been decided, so CP3 will at least know where he stands with his next contract & won't feel pressured to be traded before the trading deadline passes.

If the Knicks decide to roll with Deandre this summer I'm cool with it though. I'm done with wasting entire seasons waiting for guys to show up. We now have Melo & STAT on the roster, no need to keep waiting, we'd have the talent to be very good next year if we get DJ. CP3 can always be traded for later on if the Knicks are able to retain Chauncey & somehow land DJ via free agency.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Only way we could get CP3 is through a sign and trade. NOH is not trading him to us. We have no assets to give up...

jpz17

Starter
no hesitation. Paul. the biggest addition we need to this team is a top tier point guard. more than a center, more than Melo. D'ANTONI CANNOT RUN HIS OFFENSE WITHOUT A GREAT POINT GUARD