The Grizzlies just proved we DON'T need a top point guard

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The Grizzlies just beat the the number one seed (although the Spurs are not the same team they used to be), but they played GREAT basketball. I'm not even shocked they won the series. I thought they had a chance before the series even started. We have two superstars. We get a center to protect the paint and clean up things on the offense (what Gasol does) and add defensive and rebounding players along with a consistent PG (Beno Udrih if possible).

Tony Allen was huge in game 6. I would love a player like him. Kenyon Martin? Somebody crazy, but can ball.

Lionel Hollins wanted the team to push the ball, but not chuck up threes, and the team played great defense.

We have our post scorer (Amar'e), our small forward who can hit from anymore (Melo), now let's add the center, defense, and solid point guard.

The defensive assistant coming is a great move.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I would still rather take a chance with drafting one of the available PGs in the draft this year (I guess Kemba and Kendall are the most realistic options) and have Billups mentor them for a season. At the end of the day we'll either have our PG of the future learning under a quasi-coach at his position, or we should have a key trade piece in a deal for CP3, should that opportunity present itself.

Bring Jerome Jordan over (I mean....why have the dude in the organization if you're not gonna give him a shot) and play next season. Drafting a PG this year actually maintains our cap "flexibility" going forward and we can get some value out of that $14M.

But yea, I agree that you don't need a top PG to compete if you have the right pieces assembled...but you need someone with a PG mindset. Douglas isn't that guy. To me, Douglas looks more like a Ben Gordon trying to distribute. Size =/= position, tendencies, mindset, & tangibles = position.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I would still rather take a chance with drafting one of the available PGs in the draft this year (I guess Kemba and Kendall are the most realistic options) and have Billups mentor them for a season. At the end of the day we'll either have our PG of the future learning under a quasi-coach at his position, or we should have a key trade piece in a deal for CP3, should that opportunity present itself.

Bring Jerome Jordan over (I mean....why have the dude in the organization if you're not gonna give him a shot) and play next season. Drafting a PG this year actually maintains our cap "flexibility" going forward and we can get some value out of that $14M.

But yea, I agree that you don't need a top PG to compete if you have the right pieces assembled...but you need someone with a PG mindset. Douglas isn't that guy. To me, Douglas looks more like a Ben Gordon trying to distribute. Size =/= position, tendencies, mindset, & tangibles = position.
Yeah, Douglas is far from being a point guard right now. Near the end of the regular season he seemed like he was coming along as one, but the last one or two games of it, and the Playoffs, he seemed to go back to a shooting guards mentality. Nate Robinson was much more of a point guard than him.

If we can find a point guard who plays the same as AC except in his 20s, that would be great. Does little bit of everything who actually plays his position, and knows how to keep a good tempo.

If we can't draft a guard, I'd love to trade for Beno Udrih. His field goal percentage is superb and has a great tempo.

Basically, we just need a PG who plays smart and is a true PG lol.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Yea I have nothing against Beno, I actually really really like his game, the only thing about getting him is the trade aspect. I don't want to make anymore additions by subtraction until we have a better grasp on what's going on with CP3 and Dwight. So the best thing to do is get your PG of the future now, bring your center prospect over, and plan to use Billups' contract for a veteran center down the road. Worst case scenario, we have a starting PG, a backup PG learning the ropes, and hopefully AC as some back end stability, plus some size next to STAT for the time being. Best case scenario, we trade Billups, plus the PG that we draft, plus whatever other pieces, and we get CP3 and Aaron Gray or something.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think if anything the series showed the worth of a big, versatile front court. Gasol and ZBo were too much for SA to handle.

Can you believe that we owned Memphis so hard this year?

If Mike Conley isn't a top point guard then I don't know who is...

You don't need to be a 20-10 guy to be considered a good player!

Conley has excellent ball handling skills, high basketball IQ and in general very good playmaking ability.

He's certainly better than everything we had at the point since Steph in 2004, including Billups.

Conley over Billups any day!

The Grizzlies are probably my favorite team to watch after the Knicks, and I'm glad that SA got eliminated because there so boring to watch. I'm looking foward to watch OKC vs MEM.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I would say Conley is very close to Billups as this point. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see a healthy Billups next season. But after his performance in these playoffs he's definitely closed whatever gap there was quite a bit. He's grown up.

That said, maybe most teams can get away w not having top PG play, but to say our team, coached by MDA, doesn't need a top PG..

THIS team definitely needs a PG that can push the tempo and orchestrate at a high level RunningJ.

Last edited:

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
trading up for kemba would cost us chauncey...not that i think he needs a mentor but thats not really a possibility. the only option in this draft, to me, is hansbrough. hes gonna play hard, he has no problem getting his teammates their shots and he can take over a game when he wants to score himself. use our trade assets for a center.

Blumatic

Rotation player
The Grizzlies just beat the the number one seed (although the Spurs are not the same team they used to be), but they played GREAT basketball. I'm not even shocked they won the series. I thought they had a chance before the series even started. We have two superstars. We get a center to protect the paint and clean up things on the offense (what Gasol does) and add defensive and rebounding players along with a consistent PG (Beno Udrih if possible).

Tony Allen was huge in game 6. I would love a player like him. Kenyon Martin? Somebody crazy, but can ball.

Lionel Hollins wanted the team to push the ball, but not chuck up threes, and the team played great defense.

We have our post scorer (Amar'e), our small forward who can hit from anymore (Melo), now let's add the center, defense, and solid point guard.

The defensive assistant coming is a great move.

I definately agree. I were are able to do that then lets do that. However timing is everything. It depends who's out there by the time we are ready to make a move to significantly improve our roster.

But I also think it was a bad match up problem for the Spurs. Spurs are old. Golden State beat the Mavs a couple years ago.

Now lets see how the do in OKC. That is gonna be a great match up.

skisloper

Starter
U need a top point guard to win the Championship....

Again its not about winning a round or winning the conference...

we want a title.

KingofNy

Starter
The Grizzlies proved we need a good coach, to pick up some big-men and implement an inside out game. Our current system sucks on both sides of the ball.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I would say Conley is very close to Billups as this point. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see a healthy Billups next season. But after his performance in these playoffs he's definitely closed whatever gap there was quite a bit. He's grown up.

That said, maybe most teams can get away w not having top PG play, but to say our team, coached by MDA, doesn't need a top PG..

THIS team definitely needs a PG that can push the tempo and orchestrate at a high level RunningJ.
You might be right, which is pathetic, because our two superstars should be enough for D'Antoni to get things done if he was this supposed genius.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If Mike Conley isn't a top point guard then I don't know who is...

You don't need to be a 20-10 guy to be considered a good player!

Conley has excellent ball handling skills, high basketball IQ and in general very good playmaking ability.

He's certainly better than everything we had at the point since Steph in 2004, including Billups.

Conley over Billups any day!
Correct. He's just not a "top" point guard. He's the kind of point guard I'd love on our team. To me that's all we need with a center.