Samuel Dalembert?

Knicksdabest

Benchwarmer
Sources close to Knicks president Donnie Walsh say he has targeted Kings 6-foot-11 shotblocker Samuel Dalembert as the likeliest free-agent catch this summer.

Walsh's old-school principles have made adding a big, bruising starting defensive center to play alongside power forward Amar'e Stoudemire as his No. 1 priority. It might be a strong enough urge to sacrifice what could be maximum cap room in 2012, essentially sacrificing a shot at point guard Chris Paul.

The Knicks realize some top free agents likely will stay put or be out of their financial range. Memphis' Marc Gasol and Dallas' Tyson Chandler are expected to re-sign, and the Clippers probably will match an offer to the young DeAndre Jordan.
Via Marc Berman/New York Post

He could really help our interior defense and rebounding that we so desperately lack. Plus we can finally move STAT back to his natural position.

knicksin60

Starter
There is no logic at all to signing a center like Dalembert for 1 year if D'antoni is going to be our coach until his four year contract is up.There is no way that D'antoni will all of a sudden change his coaching style and begin to preach defense just because the Knicks will have a defensive minded center who knows how to rebound and block shots on their team.

The Knicks are better off firing D'antoni between now and the start of training camp or offering Dalembert a multi year contract that would enable him to be on the Knicks longer than Dantoni.With D'antoni as his coach, Dalembert would lead the Knicks in amount of minutes on the bench while Jared Jeffries would be playing 30+ minutes at the five.Plus Dalembert has a career 3pt shooting percentage of 0.000 which is enough for D'antoni to put him in his doghouse.

Last edited:

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
There is no logic at all to signing a center like Dalembert for 1 year if D'antoni is going to be our coach until his four year contract is up.There is no way that D'antoni will all of a sudden change his coaching system and begin to preach defense just because the Knicks will have a defensive minded center who knows how to rebound and block shots on their team.

The Knicks are better off firing D'antoni between now and the start of training camp or offering Dalembert a multi year contract that would enable him to be on the Knicks longer than Dantoni.With D'antoni as his coach, Dalembert would lead the Knicks in amount of minutes on the bench while Jared Jeffries would be playing 30+ minutes at the five.Plus Dalembert has a career 3pt shooting percentage of 0.000 which enough for D'antoni to put him in his doghouse.

Hopefully the hiring of a defensive coach will increase Dalembert's importance to this team.

knicksin60

Starter
Hopefully the hiring of a defensive coach will increase Dalembert's importance to this team.

Won't happen with D'antoni here! Donnie Walsh pulling a Steve Kerr on D'antoni would be equivalent to him telling D'antoni that his coaching sucks.It would just create turmoil between Walsh and D'antoni.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Won't happen with D'antoni here! Donnie Walsh pulling a Steve Kerr on D'antoni would be equivalent to him telling D'antoni that his coaching sucks.It would just create turmoil between Walsh and D'antoni.

It's not about being "Friends" its about the betterment of the team... and it wouldn't be the same as telling him his coaching sucks. D'antoni still is one of the best at creating open shots and mismatches. Walsh knows this and D'antoni can't tell Walsh to shove it like he did Kerr. Walsh is too respected around the league. If MD pulled the same move twice then good luck to him trying to find another job in the NBA.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
It's not about being "Friends" its about the betterment of the team... and it wouldn't be the same as telling him his coaching sucks. D'antoni still is one of the best at creating open shots and mismatches. Walsh knows this and D'antoni can't tell Walsh to shove it like he did Kerr. Walsh is too respected around the league. If MD pulled the same move twice then good luck to him trying to find another job in the NBA.

Walsh wouldn't want to look bad by releasing D'antoni without giving him an opportunity to coach two superstars for an entire season.Regardless of how poorly the Knicks were coached in the playoffs, Walsh is going to be loyal to D'antoni until his contract is up.His relationship with D'antoni is very similar to the relationship that the Nets' front office had with Lawrence Frank.D'antoni would lose nothing if his stubborness led to his departure.He would still be receiving every dollar that is on his four year contract, he would still have the recognition of coaching big name players and some GM of a terrible team like the T'Wolves, Kings or Clippers would end up hiring him especially in an era in which teams change coaches like they change jersey colors.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Walsh wouldn't want to look bad by releasing D'antoni without giving him an opportunity to coach two superstars for an entire season.Regardless of how poorly the Knicks were coached in the playoffs, Walsh is going to be loyal to D'antoni until his contract is up.His relationship with D'antoni is very similar to the relationship that the Nets' front office had with Lawrence Frank.D'antoni would lose nothing if his stubborness led to his departure.He would still be receiving every dollar that is on his four year contract, he would still have the recognition of coaching big name players and some GM of a terrible team like the T'Wolves, Kings or Clippers would end up hiring him especially in an era in which teams change coaches like they change jersey colors.

I really don't want to get into a fire the coach thing... what I was first getting at was that we need a defensive coach and if we got one Dalembert would be huge for this team... and right now MD has to take it or else look like a moody coach who leaves if he doesn't get his way... even the dumbest GM would hesitate before bringing some high profile/cost coach that u already know will need more D down the line, which means more $$$.

I know these two are close (MD & Walsh) and I too want to see what this team can do with this coach after going through training camp, pre-season etc... But all I'm saying is MD is in a spot right now where he HAS to change his playbook and philosophy or be able to balance that with the schemes this new assistant coach will hopefully bring.

I truly believe that:

This offense + a Sold defense = Regular season blow outs & Post Season Wins.

We're right there... now u can get into the whole CP3 vs. role players argument but thats for another thread. Either way SOMETHING has to change with this coach and I think (and hope) he is starting to realize it.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
A little off-topic

But wouldn't this offense cease to exist with a solid defense? Solid defense is all about limiting opponents possessions and executing your offense. Our current offensive system is all about creating extra possessions...

NBA teams are going to shoot about 45-46% per game....45% of 95 possessions is less than 45% of 108 possessions.

I don't think we can run MDA's system and play good team defense over the course of a season and especially in a 7-game series where the opponent only has us to focus on. It's not a coincidence that you normally see good half court defense and good half court offense go hand in hand. And transition defense is all about not crashing the offensive boards and just getting back (look at Boston's transition D, then look at where they rank on the offensive glass.)

So if we want to be a good defensive team, we're going to have to slow down the offense, eat more clock, force fewer possessions by taking more deliberate shots and playing inside out. Does any of that sound like MDA?

I guess Sammy D could help out our interior D, but we're going to need to gang rebound if we're gonna play uptempo and create more possessions, which then means a weaker transition game. It'll be 2-on-1, and 3-on-2, more often than not.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Off-topic continues...

But wouldn't this offense cease to exist with a solid defense? Solid defense is all about limiting opponents possessions and executing your offense. Our current offensive system is all about creating extra possessions...

NBA teams are going to shoot about 45-46% per game....45% of 95 possessions is less than 45% of 108 possessions.

I don't think we can run MDA's system and play good team defense over the course of a season and especially in a 7-game series where the opponent only has us to focus on. It's not a coincidence that you normally see good half court defense and good half court offense go hand in hand. And transition defense is all about not crashing the offensive boards and just getting back (look at Boston's transition D, then look at where they rank on the offensive glass.)

So if we want to be a good defensive team, we're going to have to slow down the offense, eat more clock, force fewer possessions by taking more deliberate shots and playing inside out. Does any of that sound like MDA?

I guess Sammy D could help out our interior D, but we're going to need to gang rebound if we're gonna play uptempo and create more possessions, which then means a weaker transition game. It'll be 2-on-1, and 3-on-2, more often than not.

Well that's kinda what I'm saying... This SSOL has to go out the window or only implimented at certain times. Our roster is a half court roster now so MD is going to have to find a way to condense what he does but keep the pick and roll as the staple of what we do and ball movement. This offense can still live in a slower tempo.

If you look at that starting lineup you have 3 guys who can give u 10+ rebounds any game. With quick outlets and athletic bigs you are still going to get easy buckets on the break. Kinda like what MIA does. With constant man and ball motion in the half court we should also get mismatches and easy balanced scoring rather then just watch Stat & Melo go to work.

We're trying to get to the perfect balance of EZ scoring in the break and in the half court mixed with defensive stops which all start with an intimidator down low and I may not have a lot of knowledge about this coming class of bigs but Sam D. is a proven warrior. On D we gotta stop teams from getting easy shots and second chances.

Then if he's been working on his game you bring Jerome Jordan off the bench.

Even if he still needs some work, which I'm sure he does... He's working with Amar'e and Sammy. Two great mentors. Can you say McGee with a jumpshot?

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I gotcha.

I'm just not confident enough in MDA to throw his system out the window for the betterment of the team. If he does it and proves me wrong, then so be it, I'll admit that I was wrong about him. But we saw his system implemented a little bit less after the Knicks had that 1-7 stretch in March, but then it eventually found it's way to the court again.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of bringing Jerome over this year. I've been saying for a while now that we need to draft our PG of the future in this draft as opposed to a big man. But if we sign a big, I guess that accomplishes the same thing, I just want to secure our future at the point. Be it a trade asset in a potential CP3 deal, or the dude who gets the reins in 2 seasons.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I gotcha.

I'm just not confident enough in MDA to throw his system out the window for the betterment of the team. If he does it and proves me wrong, then so be it, I'll admit that I was wrong about him. But we saw his system implemented a little bit less after the Knicks had that 1-7 stretch in March, but then it eventually found it's way to the court again.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of bringing Jerome over this year. I've been saying for a while now that we need to draft our PG of the future in this draft as opposed to a big man. But if we sign a big, I guess that accomplishes the same thing, I just want to secure our future at the point. Be it a trade asset in a potential CP3 deal, or the dude who gets the reins in 2 seasons.

I hear u man... I'm not confident either... just hoping cause I see this as my team more then Mike's and I see how close we are to being the other Beast in the East.

When it comes to the draft I def don't want to draft our "new starting" center. I just don't want to go through the whole Fields experience where this rookie is playing above what we all thought he could do and then when the time comes and we need him most we remember he is just a rookie in a Professional's game. Draft a back up PG... have him fallow Billups everywhere he goes (even to the ****n bathroom) then when and if CP3 comes around he already knows how to be a pro back up in this system or a starter if we go a different route.