Trade up using Fields and/or Douglas and our 17th

Trade options if available....?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

TYPE-A
I'm with trading our 17th pick along with either Fields, Douglas or both to trade up.

My reasons:

1. The 17th pick will probably be a waste bench player
2. We need to stock-pile bigs
3. We know we aren't going anywhere as evidenced by (#'s 2, 4 & 5)
4. We still haven't fired D'Antoni which I anticipate will generate a "lame duck" excuse for next season
5. Fields isn't a natural 2
6. Douglas is in his final contract year and we have no faith he can be a pg
7. There's a better chance we acquire quality in the top ten
8. We can have a better chance of acquiring our PG of the future

Basically I feel we haven't as much as admitted it, but we don't plan on going far next year. We need a special big who does everything but is cheap and mkes up for everyones defficiencies

We already subscribe to the notion "we need CP3" which is another manufactured excuse for failing so...

We mind as well start to acquire A QUALITY STARTER before worrying about depth and bench/role players who most likely a 17th pick will be, as are Fields & Douglas.

Someone tell me if we still have a 1st round 2012 pick please, as that would make this move a bit easier.

Your thoughts on this and the roster ramifications please.

Btw I assumed we won't trade these assets for a quality big now because of contract issues with that player going forward (I.e. Bynum) so we HAVE to get cheap quality while we can (Fields may have been, and TD isn't, plus a quality big is more necessary and harder to get)

New New York

Quiet Storm
I like your thinking, but I don't see any player better than either of those 2 players outside the projected top 7....this is a very weak draft (so they say) so we are trading potential for potential, again Douglas and Fields can be as good as any of the players in this draft.

Plus we have Chauncy on the books next year so that void is pretty much taken of in the immediate, now if there was a quality big man that we could draft I would say do it....but then the problem is we have a whole at either the 2 or backup PG spot!

we are so not a deep team that virtually any trade would be us taking a step forward and one back!

Bottom line we need to keep all the players we have (not because they are so good but because they are all we got!) and then add through the draft and hopefully using the MLE (assuming there will still be one).

Red

TYPE-A
I like your thinking, but I don't see any player better than either of those 2 players outside the projected top 7....this is a very weak draft (so they say) so we are trading potential for potential, again Douglas and Fields can be as good as any of the players in this draft.

Plus we have Chauncy on the books next year so that void is pretty much taken of in the immediate, now if there was a quality big man that we could draft I would say do it....but then the problem is we have a whole at either the 2 or backup PG spot!

we are so not a deep team that virtually any trade would be us taking a step forward and one back!

Bottom line we need to keep all the players we have (not because they are so good but because they are all we got!) and then add through the draft and hopefully using the MLE (assuming there will still be one).

But that justs it, TD or Fields can't take us to the next level either. So this move especially for a quality big then maybe a pg is for the future. 2012 and beyond

We will need pieces regardless and as we've seen its more likely to acquire a shooter/ back up than a starting C or Pg

So once we realize next season is another throw away or just gaining experience maybe in a fisrt or second round playoff series, isn't it better to get that big the experience than a back up who might not be here?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I think Minnesota is open to moving their pick, probably to avoid having that cap hold for a rookie on the roster when they want to bring Rubio over, plus make other moves. Moving that high up into the draft might be a long shot, but where there's a will there has to be some sort of way.

We don't have a 2012 1st round pick, so that's why I'm on the side of drafting the future at the PG spot now and acquiring veteran bigs later. Only because we've seen a number of young PGs have positive impacts on their teams shortly after being drafted, and the same can only be said for a handful of centers. There's no assurances either way, but both are positions of need and I'd say PG is the safer bet in the draft.

That way we're covered on both CP3 fronts...can't get him? fine, we have [insert promising young point guard here], do we have a shot at trading for him? fine, move said drafted PG and Billups, plus whatever else necessary.

So I don't know the probability of us moving up, but the possibility is definitely there, it's just a matter of how high and how much will it cost us. If I'm Donnie, I would even sell Kahn on the idea of just outright selling us that pick as to save some of the cap space for the upcoming moves that are gonna go thru (bringing Rubio over and moving Flynn and being able to absorb a little more salary if need be.)

But yea, I'd definitely move at least TD and the #17 pick to at least get in the tail end of the lottery or higher.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Vote in Poll

In the poll, I voted to trade Douglas to move up.

I would actually like to both move up and acquire another pick in the first round, and am open to trading other players, but would like to keep Landry Fields, if possible.

I am nervous that ESPN now has Faried going to the Pacers at #15 and the Knicks taking Josh Selby. Nothing against Selby, I understand his potential. But this means no enforcer (Faried) or young big (Noguiera) and that is a disappointing outcome.

I can live with just another mid- to late- pick that acquires Noguiera, along with a PG such as Selby or Reggie Jackson.

If we can trade ahead of Indiana, and also acquire another pick in the first round, to get Faried and Noguiera, or a better PG (Knight, Kemba, or Jimmer) plus Noguiera, this is a better outcome IMHO.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Thanks for starting the thread. I think this is something we should look into deeper.

Honestly, I would trade both Fields, Douglass, AND our 17th pick to acquire ANY of the first 5 picks.

I do this with COMPLETE understanding that we'd most likely be taking a step back this year. We'll be gutting our roster even more. We're not going to win next year anyways guys..... Sorry, it's just a fact.

Again, like I said in other threads, role players are a dime a dozen. When you have Melo and Stat other players WILL want to come in and play with them. What we need to do is get the BEST player possible through the draft so he can be an intrical piece to our roster. Then we can bring in the Dalembert's, the Mike Miller's, the Shane Battier's, and so forth......

I'm still absolutely infatuated with Kemba Walker. I don't even think most people realize what this guy can do for a ball club. His playmaking abilities are VERY underrated. With his beautiful pull up, off the pick n roll shooting abilities he can be a perfect PG for us. Not to mention he'd be the vocal leader we need on this team. This dude is just a flat out winner. I honestly view him being a multi time all star in this league.

Saying that, if we were to sit at 17 and draft Farried I'd still be a happy man.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Thanks for starting the thread. I think this is something we should look into deeper.

Honestly, I would trade both Fields, Douglass, AND our 17th pick to acquire ANY of the first 5 picks.

I do this with COMPLETE understanding that we'd most likely be taking a step back this year. We'll be gutting our roster even more. We're not going to win next year anyways guys..... Sorry, it's just a fact.

Again, like I said in other threads, role players are a dime a dozen. When you have Melo and Stat other players WILL want to come in and play with them. What we need to do is get the BEST player possible through the draft so he can be an intrical piece to our roster. Then we can bring in the Dalembert's, the Mike Miller's, the Shane Battier's, and so forth......

I'm still absolutely infatuated with Kemba Walker. I don't even think most people realize what this guy can do for a ball club. His playmaking abilities are VERY underrated. With his beautiful pull up, off the pick n roll shooting abilities he can be a perfect PG for us. Not to mention he'd be the vocal leader we need on this team. This dude is just a flat out winner. I honestly view him being a multi time all star in this league.

Saying that, if we were to sit at 17 and draft Farried I'd still be a happy man.

I can see Kemba becoming a Monta-like guard. Solid enough at both the point and the 2 that he's interchangeable on the roster and in games. Monta is wayyyyyy underrated...dude put up Derrick Rose "MVP" type numbers when Steph was out of the lineup. If we were to draft Kemba...I think I MIGHT have to reconsider my stance on CP3. Might.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
I can see Kemba becoming a Monta-like guard. Solid enough at both the point and the 2 that he's interchangeable on the roster and in games. Monta is wayyyyyy underrated...dude put up Derrick Rose "MVP" type numbers when Steph was out of the lineup. If we were to draft Kemba...I think I MIGHT have to reconsider my stance on CP3. Might.

Exactly my thoughts. Obviously, Kemba will never be as good as CP3, but I think he can get damn close. A lot closer then people expect. I feel like Kemba's the perfect PG to distribute between Melo and Stat for the same reasons why Chauncey is. You need someone who's going to take control, and is still willing to look for his own shot rather then just constantly feeding them. I'd take a chance on him.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
All depends on the placement we can get. If we are top three, excellent. However, to give up Fields dirt cheap contract and TD for a big, and leave us helpless at 2 for the next year could be problematic.

Besides, I think people are forgetting how good Fields was in the first half of the season. The rookie wall and D'Antoni's offense definitely took a lot out of him in the second half of the year.

I would like to give him another year to really shine.

New New York

Quiet Storm
But that justs it, TD or Fields can't take us to the next level either. So this move especially for a quality big then maybe a pg is for the future. 2012 and beyond

We will need pieces regardless and as we've seen its more likely to acquire a shooter/ back up than a starting C or Pg

So once we realize next season is another throw away or just gaining experience maybe in a fisrt or second round playoff series, isn't it better to get that big the experience than a back up who might not be here?

Thing is Feilds and TD are not on our roster to take us to the next level, they are the types of players who round out the roster, not to mention they are the only 2 players who the Knicks would actually trade that has any value, so losing one of them and surrendering a 1st round pick means for sure we better be getting back someone who instantly upgrades our roster. And there does not seem to be anyone like that outside of the higher lottery picks.

If The Knicks move up with this trade, there can't be any Channing Frye,Jordan Hill type picks we would need a Brandon Roy, Stephon Curry type steal.

I would rather keep what we have an roll the dice with the 17th pick, this draft just does not seem to be that good.

Knick Needs:
Quality Center (defesive minded)
True SG

if niether of those needs are met, then no need to make a move in the draft/

Remember in 2012 there are a nice crop of PG's available (not named Chris Paul and Deron Williams).

Kirk Hinrich and Raymond Felton just to name 2.

Thugball

Benchwarmer
Being a UConn student right now, I would obviously LOVE to see Kemba in a Knicks uniform. That being said, I think Faried will be a quality bench player that we could really use. I would be very willing to give up Fields and Douglas to get both Kemba and Faried.

Red

TYPE-A
Thing is Feilds and TD are not on our roster to take us to the next level, they are the types of players who round out the roster, not to mention they are the only 2 players who thhye Knicks would actually trade that has any value, so losing one of them and surrendering a 1st round pick means for sure we better be getting back someone who instantly upgrades our roster. And there does not seem to be anyone like that outside of the higher lottery picks.

If The Knicks move up with this trade, there can't be any Channing Frye,Jordan Hill type picks we would need a Brandon Roy, Stephon Curry type steal.

I would rather keep what we have an roll the dice with the 17th pick, this draft just does not seem to be that good.

Knick Needs:
Quality Center (defesive minded)
True SG

if niether of those needs are met, then no need to make a move in the draft/

Remember in 2012 there are a nice crop of PG's available (not named Chris Paul and Deron Williams).

Kirk Hinrich and Raymond Felton just to name 2.

Ok, I'm basically tracking the concensus and it seems the theme is...

"Trade up for who"

Whoever we get,

1. Some feel has to be a target
2. Some feel has to be almost a gaurantee

And some feel TD and Fields should stay because of potential, and cheap contracts.

The best way I can put how I feel is this:

We need so much. We cant get it all at once, via trade (too expensive), or even hope wehave a diamond in the rough. We also have no pick next year.

There is only one way towards the winning formula (Younger-cheaper-better)...

The draft. That's it, that's our only way.

We cannot afford to waste this pick. It has to be MAXIMIZED from the talent stand point. Which means the odds are greater the higher the pick whoever that is...

Basically we need a cheap, productive, starter. And most glarringly he is eaither a BIG or PG.

I see no other way, nor no less of a gamble than trading what limited assets we have (Fields, TD, Turiaf, Routins, or Balkman) to help us at the least acquire the caliber player that actually helps our core. This is the only way.

By trading up we are essentially saying, we could take a chance at 17 and still have one or more of the above, none of whom are real starters tha make an impact

Or we can add to our odds of acquiring a starter by sacrificng.

And we can still buy a late round pick for depth and another shot at finding a diamond.

Whatdya say?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I feel like we already have enough "stars" and now we need to stick to getting depth..

Drafted stars are actually more valuable than stars who you sign as an FA or trade for, because their salaries start a lot lower due to the rookie salary scale. So trading up to get a star would probably put us in a better position than trading for a CP3 or Dwight, the only risk is how good will that drafted player actually become?

There's no such thing as enough stars in the NBA. If you can find a way to get them and still build a team, you do so.

Wargames

Starter
Everyone who voted to trade needs to relax. The Knicks are undermanned, in need of depth, and both fields and Douglas are all time low In trade value. Not to mention this is a weak draft. The Knicks should use number 17 to get a player that addresses a need then after either player plays well (and let's be honest if fields plays well again he is a keeper) the knicks can then trade whomever to fix another need if they decide not to keep them.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
It is my understanding that we cannot trade any of our 1st round picks until 2016.

We can trade the 17th pick after we've signed him later on, like we did with Jordan Hill. The earliest point we can trade our 17th selection is unclear to me though. I don't think we can trade it on draft day. Anybody know the rules?

I know we can't trade 1st round picks two years in a row, which is why we can't trade any picks before 2016.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
It is my understanding that we cannot trade any of our 1st round picks until 2016.

We can trade the 17th pick after we've signed him later on, like we did with Jordan Hill. The earliest point we can trade our 17th selection is unclear to me though. I don't think we can trade it on draft day. Anybody know the rules?

I know we can't trade 1st round picks two years in a row, which is why we can't trade any picks before 2016.

Totally slipped my mind. But I think we could actually move our pick if we were getting a pick back in this draft. The rule only stipulates that you have a first round pick every other year, it doesn't necessarily have to be your pick.

We don't have a pick next year, so we can't move our 2011 pick for a 2013, '14, '15, etc. But I think we can move it for another 2011 or a 2012, if I'm not mistaken.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Totally slipped my mind. But I think we could actually move our pick if we were getting a pick back in this draft. The rule only stipulates that you have a first round pick every other year, it doesn't necessarily have to be your pick.

We don't have a pick next year, so we can't move our 2011 pick for a 2013, '14, '15, etc. But I think we can move it for another 2011 or a 2012, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, you're right. Receiving a pick for our pick is permitted. Brain fart on my part.

KBlack25

Starter
From what I hear, in this particular draft it is a good draft to be picking around 17 where we are.

ESPN's Chad Ford, who I trust in terms of the draft, says that there are no Tier-1 stars in this draft, there are 2 Tier-2 guys and then a bunch of guys who could be solid rotation players. He even said that this is a good year to be picking "14, 15, 16 because you will get more value than usual with a very solid rotation guy". We pick 17. I say stand pat.