good? yes! good enough?....

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
ok here is something to

we keep saying either we get a quality big a a good pg, or get cp3 and either one of those makes us contenders. i dont know about that....NOT because we're not immensely talented, but because teams out there are or will be just as much if not more.
lets take some of the best teams out there it one be one

MIA - already have 3 stars (yes ru paul is a star, sadly) and will have the same financial capabilities as us after we sign our 3rd max or a quality big and quality pg. they'll have played together longer, plus south beach isnt too bad local either

CHI - just as much as people say 'oh veteran's will be willing to take less and come to play with stat and melo', CHI is probably even in a better position to stake that claim. they have a mvp ,a great defensive coach, and players that truly bought into the team and unselfishness concept

OKC - they have their roster set for the next 5 years and depth
MEM - young, under contract (gasol most likely resigns), will have rudy gay back
LAL - still very talented and big, still have kobe
DAL - yes they are aging but they are freakin deep and dirks game is not athletic, so they def will be there in the next couple of years.

Anyone feel free to add/debate these. My point is this, im all about being excited about the fact that now we'll be able to compete, we'll be a top 4/5 seed most likely. But honestly it will be brutally tough even to make it to the finals and winning it even tougher. The playoff teams, usually the top 12 record wise are loaded with talent.
but we'll def have some good battles in the upcoming years tho i guess i can look forward to that. :gony:

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
we keep saying either we get a quality big a a good pg, or get cp3 and either one of those makes us contenders. i dont know about that....NOT because we're not immensely talented, but because teams out there are or will be just as much if not more.

I do know about that.

Melo, Stat, CP3 together WILL entice other veterans to sign here for the veterans minimum, or just take a pay cut. It's honestly just that simple.

That's why I had no problems gutting our roster for Melo, and I'll have no problems gutting the rest of it for CP3.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
ok so if there are 6 quality vets out there.....2 go to mia 2 to nyc and 2 to chi, how did that give us advantage over mia or chi. my point isnt whether we'll be better....my point is so will everyone else. and i know there isnt much you can do about that, thats just how the L works. but i guess this is the type of discussions we're suppose to have during the offseason anyways lol.

That's why at the end of the day the sperstars decide the championship!

Sadly the duo of Wade/James is the best in the league, mainly because they play defense (which STAT doesn't do) and they are good playmakers aswell, more versatile.

I think the best possible combinations to beat MIami and their 3 stars are:

CP3 (PLaymaking + decent scoring + decent defense)/Melo (huge scoring + decent rebounding)/D12 (just beasting, scoring + rebounding + shot blocking + defense + intimidation)

Westbrook (scoring + athleticism to challenge Wade + ok passing)/Melo (see above)/D12 (see above)

D-Will (Playmaking + great defense + good scoring + capable rebounder)/Durant (unlimited scoring)/D12 (see above)

D-Will (see above)/Kobe (scoring + great passing + good defense + experience + leadership + clutchness)/STAT (great scoring + great leadership + capable rebounder)

None of these combinations is ever going to happen though!

I think STAT's and Melo's defense is the key for us. No defense no 'chip - that easy.

Melo showed he is capable of playing good defense, STAT still needs to prove that.

Last edited:

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
i agree man, STAT needs to spend this summer working on his D. sometimes it seems like he thinks defense is below him or like hes too good to get in there and get dirty and grind it out. watching that bulls heat game 1, you can see how big Noah played how and crucial defense is to team success. he needs to realize he doesnt need to worry about saving his energy and fouls cuz we need him to score, both melo and billups can put points up. so he should shift his focus to helping in areas we need the most help in.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
I'll take Melo over Lebron any day of the week.

Melo/Stat/Howard or Melo/Stat/Paul > James/Wade/Bosh

Give me my big 3 now and the rest will fall into place.

Wargames

Starter
Man Westbrook reminds me way to much of marbary for me to ever advocate him Joining the Knicks.

Anyhow I agree with what the OP is saying the Knicks can't put winning it all on the idea that well get good vets to take the minimum. To be honest even in that endeavor we're behind the heat since taking the minimum in Miami has Tax benefits.

The Knicks have to rebuild in the draft, use the MLE wisely if I still exist and possibly trade one of two assets left (in the season when they can rebuild their trade value) may be the Knicks best chance to rebuild.

ok here is something to

lets take some of the best teams out there it one be one

MIA - already have 3 stars (yes ru paul is a star, sadly) and will have the same financial capabilities as us after we sign our 3rd max or a quality big and quality pg. they'll have played together longer, plus south beach isnt too bad local either

CHI - just as much as people say 'oh veteran's will be willing to take less and come to play with stat and melo', CHI is probably even in a better position to stake that claim. they have a mvp ,a great defensive coach, and players that truly bought into the team and unselfishness concept

OKC - they have their roster set for the next 5 years and depth
MEM - young, under contract (gasol most likely resigns), will have rudy gay back
LAL - still very talented and big, still have kobe
DAL - yes they are aging but they are freakin deep and dirks game is not athletic, so they def will be there in the next couple of years.

Anyone feel free to add/debate these. My point is this, im all about being excited about the fact that now we'll be able to compete, we'll be a top 4/5 seed most likely. But honestly it will be brutally tough even to make it to the finals and winning it even tougher. The playoff teams, usually the top 12 record wise are loaded with talent.
but we'll def have some good battles in the upcoming years tho i guess i can look forward to that. :gony:

Even if we're able to equal or surpass any of those teams in talent our coaching deficiencies will keep us from defeating all these teams in the playoffs. Which will be necessary if winning a chip is our goal...

TakMan

Rotation player
I do know about that.

Melo, Stat, CP3 together WILL entice other veterans to sign here for the veterans minimum, or just take a pay cut. It's honestly just that simple.

That's why I had no problems gutting our roster for Melo, and I'll have no problems gutting the rest of it for CP3.

Why would Billups/Amar'e/Anthony this year not be enticing for a veteran 'C'? The team showed a great deal of promise (for a newly formed team) and gave the Celtics a run for their money in the first two playoff games (prior to Billups and Stoudamire's injuries). I'm guessing if you're an experienced Center gagging for a championship, the Knicks would appear to be quite an exciting prospect even as they are now.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Why would Billups/Amar'e/Anthony this year not be enticing for a veteran 'C'? The team showed a great deal of promise (for a newly formed team) and gave the Celtics a run for their money in the first two playoff games (prior to Billups and Stoudamire's injuries). I'm guessing if you're an experienced Center gagging for a championship, the Knicks would appear to be quite an exciting prospect even as they are now.

It should be enticing, which is why I'm expecting a Samuel Dalembert type to sign here, but not if it it interferes with signing paul/howard

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I'll take Melo over Lebron any day of the week.

Melo/Stat/Howard or Melo/Stat/Paul > James/Wade/Bosh

Give me my big 3 now and the rest will fall into place.

Dude, let's not go crazy. LBJ is an all around better player than Melo... All-team defensive, 270 pounds, greats slasher, decent jump shooter, and boards.

Melo/Stat/Howard is a great team, but won't happen. We need a bench. If we get Howard, we will have less depth than Miami... which is scary.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I dont think we will win a chip until out 4th year in this era )3 years from now. It will be quick for us to get to championship contention, but to win one will take so much time. We need athletes.

I am going back on the fence of CP3 or Not. We need a balance of what Miami and Chicago has. We are more like Miami not but we need depth but they have to be young and athletic. That means we have to draft well a get young free agent athletes, undrafted rookies etc. Superstar plan was the easy part. This is where Donnie earns his money.

I would love Felton and Chandler back with Deandre Jordan and Shandon Brown. We would have the most athletic team in the league.

Athleticism and youth should be our focus. But We need a tough coach to lead that team or else they will try to get on Sportscenter.

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
I dont think we will win a chip until out 4th year in this era )3 years from now. It will be quick for us to get to championship contention, but to win one will take so much time. We need athletes.

I am going back on the fence of CP3 or Not. We need a balance of what Miami and Chicago has. We are more like Miami not but we need depth but they have to be young and athletic. That means we have to draft well a get young free agent athletes, undrafted rookies etc. Superstar plan was the easy part. This is where Donnie earns his money.

I would love Felton and Chandler back with Deandre Jordan and Shandon Brown. We would have the most athletic team in the league.

Athleticism and youth should be our focus. But We need a tough coach to lead that team or else they will try to get on Sportscenter.

thats hitting the nail right on the head.