Bench

S williams
Carter
Jefferies

vs

Harden
Collison
Maynor

= Thunder's depth and size puts them at an advantage over the knicks.

Mavericks

Kidd vs Billups = Even
Stevenson vs Fields = Fields
Marion vs Melo = Melo
Dirk vs Amare = Dirk
Chandler vs Turiaf = Chandler

Bench

S williams
Carter
Jefferies

vs

Berea
Haywood
Peja

= Mavericks depth and experience as well as size would give them an advantage over the knicks.

HEAT

Bibby vs Billups = Billups
Wade vs Fields = Wade
Lebron vs Melo = Even
Bosh vs Amare = Even
Anthony vs Turiaf = Anthony

Bench

S williams
Carter
Jefferies

vs

Chalmers
Haslem
Miller

= We match up well with our starters against the heat, but there bench has us by a slight edge, overall I feel the heat are better defensively, which makes up for their lack of legitimate size, our defense doesnt make up for our lack of size which gives the edge to the heat.

BULLS

Rose vs Billups = Rose
Bogans vs Fields = Fields
Deng vs Melo = Melo
Boozer vs Amare = Amare
Noah vs Turiaf = Noah

Bench

S williams
Carter
Jefferies

vs

Watson
Brewer
Asik

= This is one team the knicks have the advantage over, billups can out shoot rose, fields is better all around than bogans and melo and amare clearly over match their pf sf opponents; although the bulls have the edge in the rebounding department, they have no real size coming off the bench.

so overall

Mavericks
Heat
Thunder
Knicks
Bulls

in terms of rankings for where the knicks are against the final four teams this year.

I think we are in pretty good shape.

agree or dont agree.

KBlack25

Starter
Ugh no offense DFDH, b/c obviously you put a lot of time into this...but I hate analyses like these.

Basketball is a team sport...it matters not how we matchup player by player and more how we as a 5 (or 7-9 for a full rotation) match up with the other team's 5 (or 7-9). Analyses like these do not take into account the team aspect...we have to assess how the 5 on our side matches up and compliments each other and how they would fare bout offensively (as a team) and defensively (as a team) against the other...

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Ugh no offense DFDH, b/c obviously you put a lot of time into this...but I hate analyses like these.

Basketball is a team sport...it matters not how we matchup player by player and more how we as a 5 (or 7-9 for a full rotation) match up with the other team's 5 (or 7-9). Analyses like these do not take into account the team aspect...we have to assess how the 5 on our side matches up and compliments each other and how they would fare bout offensively (as a team) and defensively (as a team) against the other...

Agreed. So based on what you just said, what does your evaluation of our current roster, matched up with the current rosters of those teams, tell you? Taking into account schemes and philosophies.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Lebron and Durant are both better than Melo.

Amare is way better than Bosh.

No way in hell is Durant better than Melo did u watch Durant play this postseason. He has no post game, has a hard time getting open and boxing out because he lacks strength. Marion was throwing him around out there.

You think melo would of let Kidd guard him in the post like KD did? He would of punished him and melo can also get his shot off on anybody in the league unlike Durant. I would put the ball in Melo's hand to win the game over anyone in the league and it's not even close.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Durant is NOT CLOSE to Melo. Durant choked big time dick in the playoffs. Don't even give me that shit. The way people overrate Durant is ****ing ridiculous. I don't care how many points he scored. The dude puts up some TERRIBLE shots. He's not good off the dribble. Still makes many mistakes.

Also, Billups > kidd

TakMan

Rotation player
What's interesting is that if you look at the findings of this article and compare them to the results achieved by the Knicks against these teams, they don't appear far off. Knicks actually beat the Bulls on all but one game, achieved a .50 record against the heat and Thunder, and were comprehensively beaten by the Mavericks. There really isn't a great deal of difference between the Knicks and this year's conference finalists. One thing I would disagree with is DFDH's assertion that Anthony is as good as Durant. I believe Durant is a better player in that he is more consistent and thus more reliable. Some posters saying he choked during the Mavs tie clearly didn't watch Anthony's performances vs the Celtics.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Knicks fan don't realize how big a talent Melo really is but you'll find out within the next 4 years I promise you that. You guys have let ESPN brainwash you into thinking Durant is actually better than he is.

moneyg

Starter
both James and Durant rape Carmelo. Not even close. They are on all-nba first team where is Carmelo?

lebron is better than melo.. however.. durant and melo are tied.. they play differnt games.. it would be based on need.

melo was snubbed because of forced trade.. no way he doesnt even make third team.. thats BS

sorry i forgot terry on the MAVs, figured he was on there with out having to say it.

and I didnt baseeeee

each player on individual talent or skill, but in terms of their roles on their team in head to head match ups being that these are the teams we will have to get past over the next few years if we want to win it all

I feel that melo against lebron and durant he plays either even or better, as well as his teams have had more success againts their teams over the years, including this year; head to head melo outplays the both of them.

For those who thought this was for individual points, youre wrong, I did this as a team, explaining how the nucleous of our components matches up well or not well against other teams.

Therefore, it is a good guide for argument sake, to help produce logical ideas behind what off season moves we need to make to match up better against these teams.

every one knows the playoffs are all about matchups

bosh isnt a dominant power fwd, but he was too fast for boozer

durant is an amazing scorer, but the thunder couldnt stop dirk so he canceled out durant

Chicago doesnt have a 2nd option on the wing other than deng who is a spot up shooter, this gives wade nights off on defense to score on offense

the knicks have 2 stars

but need more

think logically here, about the post, and how it was constructed

it was to break down our needs and our already haves

not to say which player is actually better throughout the duration of a season.

Rob Low

Rotation player
both James and Durant rape Carmelo. Not even close. They are on all-nba first team where is Carmelo?

Look at their head to head matchups Durant has only beaten Carmelo one since he came to the league Melo's 9-1 against him, including 2 buzzer beaters in the same season against them.

And he's 9-4 against Lebron, and he's always rose to the challenge and outplayed him in head to head matchups dating back to high school.

Im not saying Melo's better than Lebron, but between him and Durant it's not even close. Ask any defender in the league who they'd rather guard and I bet you 9 out of 10 say Durant. I watched this Kobe interview where they asked him who the hardest player to guard in the league was and he said it was Melo by far, Pierce also said the same thing.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
All the "knick" fans who think that Durant is better then Melo base their opinion STRICTLY off the ****ing bullshit ESPN throws out there. Durant is overrated as ****. I'll take Melo over him any day. Honestly, if you truly believe Durant is better you don't watch shit. Melo is literally LIGHTYEARS ahead of Durant. He can do things that Durant can only dream of.

moneyg

Starter
All the "knick" fans who think that Durant is better then Melo base their opinion STRICTLY off the ****ing bullshit ESPN throws out there. Durant is overrated as ****. I'll take Melo over him any day. Honestly, if you truly believe Durant is better you don't watch shit. Melo is literally LIGHTYEARS ahead of Durant. He can do things that Durant can only dream of.

they both are about tied overall.. durant can do things that melo can only dream of too..

i dont think i need to list them..

if you offered me both at the last trade deadline for the same package...

id have to think real hard about that one...

melo is my boy, but it depends on need...

jnuh

Rookie

I think Durant and Melo are at best even, but would possibly give Durant the nod. I do think both are a bit overrated though.

And in an earlier post you wrote that Durant put up bad shots ... does Melo not put up terrible shot?? All they both do is score (and chuck a bit) Essentially being that all they both do is score how could you say the better scorer isn't the better player.

Lets be real ... You only think Melo is "light years" better because Melo is a NYK

As far as Lebron and Melo ... SMFH it isn't even close in my opinion. Lebron does EVERYTHING. (just for the record I hate LBJ ... but the truth is he is a beast)

Melo is a great SCORER not a great PLAYER.

I think Durant and Melo are at best even, but would possibly give Durant the nod. I do think both are a bit overrated though.

And in an earlier post you wrote that Durant put up bad shots ... does Melo not put up terrible shot?? All they both do is score (and chuck a bit) Essentially being that all they both do is score how could you say the better scorer isn't the better player.

Lets be real ... You only think Melo is "light years" better because Melo is a NYK

As far as Lebron and Melo ... SMFH it isn't even close in my opinion. Lebron does EVERYTHING. (just for the record I hate LBJ ... but the truth is he is a beast)

Melo is a great SCORER not a great PLAYER.
That's why I want Melo to be a consistent defender and be more of a playmaker like Dirk had to become. Also if you watched the series when the Lakers went to game 7 against the Nuggets you could see how good Melo can become if he turns into a playmaker and a better defender.

jnuh

Rookie
That's why I want Melo to be a consistent defender and be more of a playmaker like Dirk had to become. Also if you watched the series when the Lakers went to game 7 against the Nuggets you could see how good Melo can become if he turns into a playmaker and a better defender.

In my opinion ... In the system the Knicks are currently in Melo will not have the chance to excel as a PLAYER just as a SCORER. More likely then not with MDA around he will never be held accountable for not playing to his potential on the defensive side of the ball.

Melo did show glimpses of what he could be in the playoffs in 07/08 ... but in reality he has also shown what he actually is in the regular season and playoffs every other year (aside from a nice playoff run) I am not knocking Melo's talent. He has a ton ... something doesn't click with him though. Dude can score .... he just doesn't do much of anything else.