New CBA could have a cap at 62 mil..

KBerg_CBS Ken Berger
Stern says cap "target" is $62 million per team, with a max above that to allow for exceptions such as the Bird exception." #NBA

KBerg_CBS Ken Berger
Stern: Proposal also included "flex cap," with a max that could be exceeded and a minimum. #NBA

alanhahn Alan Hahn
Stern says league offered "flex cap" system, and guaranteed players at least $2B in salaries for life of 10 year deal.

NYPost_Berman Marc Berman
Stern says made "very significant" counter with "flex cap." Players said see you friday, according to commish.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Stern: NBA proposed a targeted $62 million cap. As far as league's best offer? "It's all out there." Wouldn't call it "final" though.

This is excellent news if it holds..

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
interesting very interesting this is awesome and allows us to get some players this year to fill our roster and its amazing news since im a fan of the game as well. so on that front hearing this shows significant progress and we may actually avoid a lockout with is awesome news

NKY 2012!! lego

interesting very interesting this is awesome and allows us to get some players this year to fill our roster and its amazing news since im a fan of the game as well. so on that front hearing this shows significant progress and we may actually avoid a lockout with is awesome news

NKY 2012!! lego
Yep.. It also greatly increases our chances of landing that 3rd superstar..

Marek

Benchwarmer
This blows $40m out of the water.
I certainly didn't expect the cap to actually go UP from this year. How the hell did this happen?

Alan Hahn said it may be similar to the NHL cap system. Anyone familiar with that?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Yep.. It also greatly increases our chances of landing that 3rd superstar..

i think we should take the 3rd superstar as if it happens it happens otherwise we have our superstar we build a deep roster and we more than likely will win multiple championships as stat and melo are no older then 28 so they have a good 6-7 years as quality players

BUT

if we get chris paul you will NOT hear me complain hahaha, i love the dude loll. but i dont think its mandatory loll.

i think we should take the 3rd superstar as if it happens it happens otherwise we have our superstar we build a deep roster and we more than likely will win multiple championships as stat and melo are no older then 28 so they have a good 6-7 years as quality players

BUT

if we get chris paul you will NOT hear me complain hahaha, i love the dude loll. but i dont think its mandatory loll.
Yeah I definitely hear what you're saying bro

Good find man

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The cap going UP?lol

Who would've thought of that. I don't think I agree with it going up, but if it means no lockout, I'm all for it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The cap is going to go up but it's probably also going to be harder to break the cap (ie no more Mid-level Exception for teams that are already over the cap).

I wonder if one of the reasons the cap is higher is because Stern and co. realize that keeping the cap low or even LOWERING the cap means that the Miami Heat are just going to dominate the league for the next 5 years

Marek

Benchwarmer
The reason the "flex cap" is going to be higher than the current $58m cap is because there will be another hard cap in place above it.

Right now, the cap was at $58m, but the Lakers had a $94m payroll. Orlando had $89m, and Boston had $83m. In effect, you could use Bird Rights and MLE's to blow the cap to hell.

The new system would set the cap at a higher $62m, but there would be an absolute maximum that teams could not exceed, even with Bird Rights and MLE's. This would be the "hard cap" that the Players Union is complaining about this afternoon. There would also be a minimum payroll number which is yet to be determined.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The reason the "flex cap" is going to be higher than the current $58m cap is because there will be another hard cap in place above it.

Right now, the cap was at $58m, but the Lakers had a $94m payroll. Orlando had $89m, and Boston had $83m. In effect, you could use Bird Rights and MLE's to blow the cap to hell.

The new system would set the cap at a higher $62m, but there would be an absolute maximum that teams could not exceed, even with Bird Rights and MLE's. This would be the "hard cap" that the Players Union is complaining about this afternoon. There would also be a minimum payroll number which is yet to be determined.
That sounds good. No wonder the Lakers look like they're almost over double the cap. Ridiculous.

Wargames

Starter

Yep he said $62 million was the Soft cap what he didn't say was their new Hardcap was. If they put it at say $70 Million. 9 teams will have to drop players. Heck even with a Amnesty rule this year the Lakers are gonna have a fire sale.

The only way we could get CP3 is if he took a contract just like Billups. Then say the hard cap was $70 million that would give the Knicks exactly $15 million to sign 9 other players...... which is a stretch.

KingCharles34

All Star
Well i just posted in the Steve Nash thread that my dikk was softer then when I tried to....ehh i dont wanna go there again. Let me just say that its somewhat hardened now, its like a half boner. Good news, Welcome to the team Christopher Paul

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yep he said $62 million was the Soft cap what he didn't say was their new Hardcap was. If they put it at say $70 Million. 9 teams will have to drop players. Heck even with a Amnesty rule this year the Lakers are gonna have a fire sale.

The only way we could get CP3 is if he took a contract just like Billups. Then say the hard cap was $70 million that would give the Knicks exactly $15 million to sign 9 other players...... which is a stretch.

This is going to be interesting. The minimum salary might be lowered, the rookie scale salary might be lowered, and hopefully maximum contracts will be lowered.

If the new max contract is only 14 million dollars than that makes it all the better for us. If rookie contracts are worth less, even better. I still don't think the NBA can afford to, in this day and age, try to institute a hard cap that is as low as $70 million. A hard cap of maybe $80 million seems far more reasonable if contracts don't get scaled back.

Let's not forget that if the soft cap becomes 62 million and the salaries of Carmelo and Amar'e become scaled back due to the CBA having that potential effect then it's very well possible that the combined salary of Amar'e and Carmelo might be closer to 36 million than 40 million.

At the end of the day, though, how much do you think the NBA can really do? The NBA cannot afford to reduce the maximum salary of a player by so much, nor can it afford to institute a hard salary cap when many everyday baseball players are making $15 million dollars whereas it's mostly hall of fame-caliber players who are making that kind of money in the NBA (granted the NBA is also not nearly as lucrative).

Who knows. We can pray for scaled back maximum contracts and a higher soft cap and hard cap, and if we get our wishes, it's because God wants Chris Paul on this team!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This is certainly better than what was previously being estimated but just to clarify, we have approx $62mil in team salary with only 9 players on the roster this summer. So we will not have any cap space.

We will have approx $44mil in team salary with only 4 players on the roster next summer (Melo, Amare, Douglas, Balkman). This is not including our 1st round pick from this year and signing any players under long term contracts this summer (e.g. Shawne Williams, Anthony Carter, etc). This would give us $18 mil in cap space in 2012. Enough to sign a CP3 or Howard to a max contract and then fill the roster with minimum salary players. A max cap would certainly make it very difficult to sign quality veterans and free agents to surround the 3 stars though.

What worries me is they are still considering eliminating the MLE. This would really hurt our chances of building a solid team for next year, and possibly beyond.

Blumatic

Rotation player
So this is all an issue about money. Not competitive balance and superteams b.s. (well at least its not the main issue) This is a money issue so teams can cut back their cost.

I still get a sense that players contracts would have to be reduced. Kobe will make 30 million dollars in the last year of his contract. He would have to opt out. He cant extend. He will make 27mil the year b4. Half of the teams salary for one person. It does depend on what the second level hard cap is. But teams would have to cut guys. And teams with multiple stars cant make that Kobe money while being on the same team. Even with just 2 stars. Salaries will have to role back is they want to keep things the same as close as possible. In 2015, the Miami big 3 will make 65mil and they already sacrificed money.

I think the hard cap issue is the sticking point. Far from over as far as Im concerned.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I sure hope the league realizes what it's doing if it wants to bargain down the salary cap. The CBA has to be fair, and thus making a hard cap of 70 mil when Kobe's salary in 3 years is going to be 30 million is ridiculously unfair to the Lakers unless of course they scale back all previous contracts...at the end of the day, the League realizes that it has to stay competitive. Reducing max contracts would help that out, but setting a hard cap would NOT.

Marek

Benchwarmer
I'm sure that any changes implemented by the new CBA will be phased in over several years. They will do all they can to avoid scaling back player salaries, and no teams will have to tear their rosters apart to squeeze under the cap.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Everyone is not looking at the option, that the main goal for this team is now that we have Melo that Stat might be on the hook if we could get CP3(not this season, that is a long shot) could be the goal for the front office...

After next season, D'Antoni might be booted out and with that Stat could follow since he is MD's player... So trying to build a team is not the question, is whom will be the coach and what are their ideas of what this team could be?

If the new CBA is $62 with a Hard Cap of around $70 this idea above could be in play for us to build around Melo and possibly CP3 which would give us plenty under the cap to get better than average starters with a good bench crew and also give us youth for the future...