Which "victim" of the amnesty clause will become a Knick this year?

portega1968

El Cacique
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-nba-lockout-s112711,0,4202541.story

Some good players will become available through the amnesty waivers in a couple of weeks, and as long as they don't compromise our cap space through the bidding process, we may be able to fill out the roster with some good names.

Consider the potential candidates mentioned in the linked article:

Baron Davis
Rashard Lewis
Brendan Haywood
Brandon Roy
Mehmet Okur
Richard Jefferson
Gilbert Arenas
Mike Miller

Who has the crystal balls to guess whom, if any, of the potential candidates to become available through the amnesty clause will become a Knick this season.

I want a center, so I'd be happy we have Okur or Haywood join us.

portega1968

El Cacique
more potential amnesty players:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/05/17/who-would-be-waived-under-amnesty-clause/

Will the ninja turtle Al Harrington return to MSG if amnesty-ied? he can play the 3, 4 and 5, shoot from the outside, and in true Dantoni fashion, not defend anyone even if his life depended on it.

DeSagana Diop? Richard Hamilton back with Chauncey? Andris Biedrins? Luke Ridnour? Trevor Ariza? Nate Robinson?

I think this amnesty bucket will really help us grab a decent player almost for free.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Bottom line is SF,PF,PG will not want to come here on 1 year deals since we have those positions under control. Everyone knows CP3 is most likely headed here nex season.

If you play any of those positions and have a few good years left in the league, why would you come here to play less minutes? They players we'll attract are end of the road veteran guys who can only command 1 year deals.

New New York

Quiet Storm
is Luke Ridnor really a canidate?

Ivan Drago (Biendris) would seem nice, but his Blocks dropped to under 1 per game, and his FT shooting is less than 33 pct....he's not worth even a million per!!

Haywood would be nice

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Just to let everybody know, it seems like there are going to be some rules attached to the amnesty clause that may make it difficult for the Knicks to get a quality player.

Some rumors going around are that only teams under the cap will be alowed to bid for amnestied players. And the highest bidder under the cap gets the player for as many years that were left on his contract.

I hope these rumors are false because if it is true it will essentially eliminate the Knicks (we are over the cap and only want 1 year deals) from getting any quality amnestied players.

Also a side note, the league office has announced that the cap this year and next year will be the same as last year, $58 mil. The luxury tax will be $70 mil. Starting in year 3 of the new CBA, the cap will be based on the coming year's projections.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Just to let everybody know, it seems like there are going to be some rules attached to the amnesty clause that may make it difficult for the Knicks to get a quality player.

Some rumors going around are that only teams under the cap will be alowed to bid for amnestied players. And the highest bidder under the cap gets the player for as many years that were left on his contract.

I hope these rumors are false because if it is true it will essentially eliminate the Knicks (we are over the cap and only want 1 year deals) from getting any quality amnestied players.

Also a side note, the league office has announced that the cap this year and next year will be the same as last year, $58 mil. The luxury tax will be $70 mil. Starting in year 3 of the new CBA, the cap will be based on the coming year's projections.

Thanks, LJ.

I've got a couple questions, if you don't mind.

I assume that the projections are based on the BRI? No?

In that third year of the new CBA, are there already any estimates on the projections?

What is your take on the Chris Paul situation?

Seriously, dude, you are the resident capologist. You (probably in tandem with Oldtimer, as well) should have your own 'sticky' on the forum list, and be the go-to guy(s) to stop a lot of the pointless arguing over what/who is or isn't a NYK possibility.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Nothing makes me more sick than watching people make pointless threads about guys we have no chance of getting. I am not calling anyone out here please don't think that. But when you see people posting that we are getting Nash, Parker, Etc shit gets old. I second that thought Crazy 8!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Crazy⑧s;186987 said:
Thanks, LJ.

I've got a couple questions, if you don't mind.

I assume that the projections are based on the BRI? No?

In that third year of the new CBA, are there already any estimates on the projections?

What is your take on the Chris Paul situation?

Seriously, dude, you are the resident capologist. You (probably in tandem with Oldtimer, as well) should have your own 'sticky' on the forum list, and be the go-to guy(s) to stop a lot of the pointless arguing over what/who is or isn't a NYK possibility.

I am assuming they will be based on the BRI as well, but I am not sure as the official CBA is not out yet. As far as I know, there are no estimates for year 3.

My personal opinion on CP3 is to scrap it. I don't see the cap space or assets to make it feasible and even if it were possible, it would leave the Knicks with no team surrounding the big 3. Also, the time when the Knicks would be able to try and find pieces to surround our big 3 is when all of the real restrictions of the new CBA kick in (i.e. no sign-and-trades, only a mini MLE available, etc).

I say go for a championship now. Build as solid a team as possible with Billups' expiring contract, Turiaf's expiriing contract, the FULL MLE, the FULL min vet exceptions, and as many amnesty players (barring rules) we can get.

But as I've said a million times before, the Melo trade really put us behind the 8-ball in trying to build a team that can compete with Miami and Chicago. If Melo had signed with us this offseason, we would be contending with them this year. By the way, Melo wouldn't have lost a dime had he signed with us this offseason. The cap is the same and max contracts are still 30% of the cap.

nyk_nyk

All Star
My personal opinion on CP3 is to scrap it. I don't see the cap space or assets to make it feasible and even if it were possible, it would leave the Knicks with no team surrounding the big 3. Also, the time when the Knicks would be able to try and find pieces to surround our big 3 is when all of the real restrictions of the new CBA kick in (i.e. no sign-and-trades, only a mini MLE available, etc).

I say go for a championship now. Build as solid a team as possible with Billups' expiring contract, Turiaf's expiriing contract, the FULL MLE, the FULL min vet exceptions, and as many amnesty players (barring rules) we can get.

But as I've said a million times before, the Melo trade really put us behind the 8-ball in trying to build a team that can compete with Miami and Chicago. If Melo had signed with us this offseason, we would be contending with them this year. By the way, Melo wouldn't have lost a dime had he signed with us this offseason. The cap is the same and max contracts are still 30% of the cap.

Reality is starting to set in and I now believe clearing the team for CP3 or D12 might not make the most sense. It would be beautiful seeing STAT MELO and CP3 play together at the garden but its not a 3 on 3 game. You need a team to compete. I don't even believe Paul could even get a max salary or close to it here with our cap situation. He'll have to take a huge pay cut and still leave decent room for some average players. I really want this to happen but the more I think about it, it just doesn't seem logical.

I can't blame Melo for pushinig for that S&T with uncertainty looming but it did fluck our asset base up.

The reason DAL won the chip is because they had the better TEAM. Plus they were without Butler. Dirk was clearly the MVP but they had other guys on the bench they could rely on. As it stands now, we have decent role players but they are worth more than the minimum salary.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I was just asking about this. I didn't see this thread.

Not sure of my complete understanding so to anyone who can answer clearly; Does the amnesty clause allow other teams to change the contract after they are released, do they become free agents?

If released, I honestly think Andris Biedrins would go for a reasonable one year contract to prove himself and help potentially get CP3. Not many players will go for one year contract and if Biedrins is interested, he is the best option at center.

2011-2012 starters?

Billups
Fields
Melo
Stat
Biedrins

2012-2013 starters (maybe)

CP3
Fields (if resigned) or Iman?
Melo
Stat
Biedrins (if resigned)

portega1968

El Cacique
Nothing makes me more sick than watching people make pointless threads about guys we have no chance of getting. ...

I agree about pointless threads, but this one is definitely not a pointless thread. There will be players thrown into that amnesty bucket and some of them will not receive bids by under the cap teams, and then some of those will be willing to accept a one year deal. Who will that be? I think it's the most releveant topic at this stage as we head into this crazy "preseason".

As far as scrapping the CP3 plan, I would prefer that. We should focus on who we have now (Billups, Shumpert and Douglas) and cover the huge hole in the middle.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
I agree about pointless threads, but this one is definitely not a pointless thread. There will be players thrown into that amnesty bucket and some of them will not receive bids by under the cap teams, and then some of those will be willing to accept a one year deal. Who will that be? I think it's the most releveant topic at this stage as we head into this crazy "preseason".

As far as scrapping the CP3 plan, I would prefer that. We should focus on who we have now (Billups, Shumpert and Douglas) and cover the huge hole in the middle.

The reason we gave up the farm to land Amar'e and then Melo (was supposed to be LeBron) was so we could get CP3 here. It has always been the plan and the same people who don't want CP3 are the same people that didn't want Melo and Amar'e are the same ones that didn't want CP3.

I even heard about how great the Nuggets were and how we got raped on the trade. Really? I don't think so. They basically are the Mavs lite, i.e light on the experience and the talent, is that what we wanted to be?

If there is any way that CP3 can end up in NY (and there is) he'll be here, so I'd get used to the idea. When he does get here we'll be in the same position as Miami only better given that we will have a much more balanced and less arrogant team. A few savvy moves with the MLE and LLE and a few lucky breaks in the draft and we're looking at 8-9 rotation that MDA can take all the way as far as I'm concerned.

It makes me laugh how much people are talking about the failing Heat. I'd love to come close to being that much of a failure. Fair enough they made a rod for their own back and I'm happy about that because their stupidity has really cost them but bigger picture, who is closer to winning a title than them next year if they use their amnesty well and get in a few team players that will do a job? No one in my eyes.

I kinda agree^^

Especially when there are rumors of the Knicks looking to bring back Kurt Thomas and/or Jamal Crawford. Read about that in the NY Daily News...

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Islander: not really, I would welcome Paul with open arms the same way I went ape when we signed Amare, but somehow I didn't want Melo and still I feel pissed off we gave too much to get him.

Paul1355

All Star
The Knicks don;t have to use an amnesty that is only alowed ONCE in the entire CBA deal. We should save it for Amare or Melo at the end of their contracts which is going to murder our cap room.

If we do use it, to save money for Paul and get a decent player with it, then use it on Balkman. I cant stand seeing him in a Knick uniform anymore, reminds me of the Isiah era.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
@Islander: not really, I would welcome Paul with open arms the same way I went ape when we signed Amare, but somehow I didn't want Melo and still I feel pissed off we gave too much to get him.

I'm with you man but that's down to Melo, not NY. We had to pull the trigger and I'm glad we did or he'd have re-signed with the Nuggets and we'd have no shot at the big 3.