What if we had to take Okafor to get Paul?

finestrg

Rotation player
Saw this topic on another Knick board today and I wanted to throw it out over here just to see what you guys think..

No idea whether or not NO would be willing to do this but first off, it would save them a boat-load of money over the next 3 seasons including this one (somewhere in the neighborhood of $40M)..Second, if they lose David West to FA and then it looks like Paul will be on his way out -- now you're in full blown rebuilding mode, no? So what would the point be in keeping Okafor around for the next 3 seasons at big money?? I suppose they could always amnesty him to wipe his contract off the cap BUT they'd still have to pay him his money..Most of it anyway (whatever's left on his current deal AFTER another team stepped up and offered him a new one).. If they sent him packing in a trade, at least they wouldn't have to be responsible for a big chunk of that salary anymore..Something the Hornets may consider.

A 2nd poster on the other board threw out this possible trade combination:
Paul & Okafor ($28,901,617) for
CB, TD, Fields, Turiaf, Walker, Rautins, Brown & Balkman ($24,933,777)

Now if we throw in $3-4M or whatever will be allowed for teams to include in trades under this new CBA, it'll match up salary-wise. And what I like is the fact that we could further tweak this deal to make it more appealing to New Orleans if need be: Shump, Jorts, Jordan, maybe even a future pick or 2.

The only thing is I'm not entirely sure how NO would view this...Would they be content to just dump Okafor's salary in a CP3 deal and not get back proper value for him? Would dumping his contract be enough?? I'm not sure. I mean the man's no Hakeem Olajuwon, that's for sure, but he's still a pretty steady, productive NBA big man. First off, he's a VERY STRONG rebounder, averaging over 10/game for his career...You figure he's good for 10/10 & 2 blks per night minimum. We could definitely use his rebounding and shot-blocking, that's for sure. To be honest, we have no idea what Jordan and Jorts are gonna give us IF ANYTHING --- Jordan could turn into the next Patrick O'Bryant; Jorts Harrellson may not even be good enough to play in the NBA and Turiaf has proved to me that he's barely an everyday player and defintely not a starting NBA 5..Well Emeka Okafor definitely is good enough, much better than anything we have on the roster right now at 5 -- he'd supply everything we're currently lacking in the middle. He's not a "great" player but he's pretty much a sure thing when you think about him and what he brings to the table, albeit overpayed somewhat. I mean think about what he does and what he makes (in the $12-14M range) compared to what Ty Chandler does and what he's asking for (rumor has it that Chandler's agent is asking for $20M a season!! I mean WTF is he smoking?!? Hey God bless him man, maybe he gets that from somebody..If he does, it'll make Okafor's contract look like a bargin in comparison all of a sudden, no? Just for the record, I think pound for pound Okafor's a better player than Ty Chandler btw...

We'd have to unload every last asset we have to get this type of deal done, but we'd have one hell of a starting unit, 4/5 of it anyway:

5 - Okafor
4 - STAT
3 - Melo
2 - ??
1 - Paul

Now suppose we went with the best league-minimum talent we can get our hands on to fill in the rest (looking overseas, in Europe, at the undrafted talent, at NBDL players, etc.). How would this look:

5 - Okafor
4 - STAT
3 - Melo
2 - Sylven Landesberg (I liked him a lot at Virginia -- I think he's playing in Israel now..Mike's familiar with this kid - he had him in for a draft workout 2 yrs ago)
1 - Paul
-----------------
Minimal-cost (league-minimum) C targets: Marcus Cousin (provided Houston cuts him--odds are they will), Dwayne Jones
PF: Sean Williams, Jeff Adrien
SF: Shawne Williams, Joe Alexander, DeShawn Sims, Jamelle Horne, Marqus Blakely (if Houston cuts him), Ryan Wittman
SG: Matt Bouldin, AD Vassallo (currently in France--smooth offensive game at VA Tech, reminds me of Allan Houston), Paul Harris, Othyus Jeffers (if healthy and Wash. cuts him loose)
PG: Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells, Curtis Stinson

There's A TON of solid young talent out there just waiting to be picked up provided we're looking in the right places..I'm talking rotation talent here...No question about it.
Wouldn't be the most experienced bench in the world but we could piece together very good talent to fill in around our core -- when you look at this pool of names, I see a group of players to pick from that would give us EVERYTHING we could possible want/need here to fill out the roster properly in every area: there are legits Cs here, bangers, rebounders (Dwayne Jones, Adrien), an additional shot-blocker (Sean Williams), offensive-minded hybrid forwards to play behind both STAT & Melo (Alexander, Sims), offensive-minded 2s (Landesberg, Vassallo), shut-down wing defenders (Blakely, Harris, Jeffers), legit 40%+ 3-pt shooters (Horne, Wittman, Hansbrough) and PGs with upside. Bottom line for me: I don't buy the argument that if we did something bold like this (trading for Paul AND Okafor), we wouldn't be able to then fill out the rest of the roster with solid talent. That's nonsense..Any of these guys could defintely help us off the bench. They're all talented enough in my book..Personally, I'd rather go with any of these guys than overpay for any of the vet talent we might be looking at right now (rumor has it we're interested in Anthony Parker & 5' nothin' JJ Barea)..But that's me..

Ahh, I digress...First thing's first: would you be willing to take on Okafor in order to get CP3? I tell ya what, I might man...His contract has always scared me, but at this point, if we could get Paul by taking him too, I say F it -- do it.. As one of the posters on this other board pointed out -- we'd still be able to amnesty Okafor and free up that cap room if it didn't work out for whatever reason..I think that's a good point..Give me your thoughts on this fellas.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Of course.

First rule of thumb: if the player isn't named Amare or Melo, and we get CP3, the deal is done and it's a slam dunk.

The fact that we actually would get a legit starting C when we have none......

You can pick apart Emeka on this team a million ways, but beggar's can't be choosers, especially when that's a side to the main dish.

A WNBA player might just look like a starting 5 on a winning team surrounded by CP3, Amare, and Melo.

CP3 coming to this team would be like *every* expectation and potential greatness that people thought MIA was capable of coming to fruition. Every woe MIA suffered from, CP3 eliminates; every benefit MIA had, CP3 accentuates.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Of course.

First rule of thumb: if the player isn't named Amare or Melo, and we get CP3, the deal is done and it's a slam dunk.

The fact that we actually would get a legit starting C when we have none......

You can pick apart Emeka on this team a million ways, but beggar's can't be choosers, especially when that's a side to the main dish.

A WNBA player might just look like a starting 5 on a winning team surrounded by CP3, Amare, and Melo.

CP3 coming to this team would be like *every* expectation and potential greatness that people thought MIA was capable of coming to fruition. Every woe MIA suffered from, CP3 eliminates; every benefit MIA had, CP3 accentuates.

The bolded sums up beautifully what CP3 brings to the Knicks.

People say Amare n Melo need to learn how to play w one another, and I agree mostly.

But with CP3 the steep learning curve is virtually eliminated. He'll bring chemistry in droves, not just between him and the other big 2, but also the rest of our team.

Can't wait til he's a Knick.. Hope the trade goes down Friday the 9th, on my B-day.

Welcome back Zeke! :thumbsup:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

WELCOME BACK, iSaYughh!

He hasn't missed a beat, folks!

So eloquently put, my liege.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;187384 said:
A happy b'day in advance, Ron! :beer:

How'd that be for a present? Make sure you get a cake sorted before Friday and wish like a mother****ing leper!

Word.

I'd be set for two b-days if we acquire him.

Thx Crazy!

Kiyaman

Legend
NBA Fantasy teams

The NBA owns the New Orleans Hornets...

The NBA would be given the Knicks a couple of Championship Trophies by trading the Knicks CP3 & Okafor to go with Amare & Melo.

finestrg

Rotation player
Another thing for New Orleans to consider: the draft may be even more favorable to bad teams now under the new CBA..Say if the Hornets have a terrible year, they may have even more of an opportunity to get a top player(s) than in years past..We'll have to see how they revamp the draft/the lottery, if there even is a lottery anymore..My understanding is that the league wanted to come up with a draft that's gonna give bad teams even more of a chance to succeed now. I remember reading that they wanted to have even more rounds than just 2 also... We'll have to see how that worked out, if there even were any changes made (looks like the players succeeded in keeping a lot of minor issues "as is." I wonder if that included the draft system).

So for the Hornets -- say David West leaves, followed by Paul AND they trade off Okafor as well. That team will be terrible but now may have a real good chance of landing a top player or two in the draft -- better than ever before. Maybe they'll have even more ping-pong balls in the lottery...Maybe they'll do away with the lottery all-together and just go by record..Then again, I always thought a big reason why the lottery was put into effect was to prevent tanking or at least curb it somewhat...No matter, the Hornets wouldn't even have to "tank." Without their top 3 guys, that team wouldn't be good period..They'd have to go through a rebuilding process. No way around it...But now if the draft is more favorable to bad teams, it might not take as long for teams to recover as in the past...Also, you figure if there's a year to be bad, this is the year..Only an abbreviated 66-game schedule for bad teams & their fans to suffer through, not a full 82...

Anyone have any details on the new draft system, exactly how it's gonna work, etc. Were there even any changes made to it??

Last edited:

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I'm not in favor of taking Okafor, how many years left on his deal?.....including this season, THREE? that has amnesty written all over it.....

finestrg

Rotation player
I'm not in favor of taking Okafor, how many years left on his deal?.....including this season, THREE? that has amnesty written all over it.....

Yeah, it also could have championship written all over it provided we also got Paul and then made some other smart moves to fill out the roster. With the clock ticking on Amar'e & Melo (we've got time, a few yrs at least, but still) there's gotta be a point when they're willing to go all in. What better time than if we're also importing Chris Paul?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@finestrg: I don't know whether you checked our possible salary cap after this trade or you're just trying to figure out how this would work on the court, but I can already tell you this deal is not going to work, at least if we won't amnesty Okafor. Our salary cap including just four contracts would reach a $68,060,412 level in the 2011/2012, which is already way above the cap. Thereafter, we could sign a valuable SG via mid-level exception, a poor role player via bi-annual exception, an average guy via non-Bird + plenty of noobs via minimum salary exception... I'd rather opt to do everything possible to keep Shumpert and Jordan/Harrellson (my subjective preferable choice: Jorts) and push the Hornets to at least give us young Ewing (good PR move and some energy at backup #3). We sign Shump via rookie scale exception and Harrellson/Jordan + Ewing via minimum salary exception.

edit: maybe we could sign Donald Sloan playing for our NBDL team? I watched Erie BayHawks @ Iowa Energy last night and this guy ruined the current champions, could be a nice addition at PG... After five NBDL games he averaged 24.8 PPG, 5.2 RPG and 8.4 APG + he's only 23...

finestrg

Rotation player
@finestrg: I don't know whether you checked our possible salary cap after this trade or you're just trying to figure out how this would work on the court, but I can already tell you this deal is not going to work, at least if we won't amnesty Okafor. Our salary cap including just four contracts would reach a $68,060,412 level in the 2011/2012, which is already way above the cap. Thereafter, we could sign a valuable SG via mid-level exception, a poor role player via bi-annual exception, an average guy via non-Bird + plenty of noobs via minimum salary exception... I'd rather opt to do everything possible to keep Shumpert and Jordan/Harrellson (my subjective preferable choice: Jorts) and push the Hornets to at least give us young Ewing (good PR move and some energy at backup #3). We sign Shump via rookie scale exception and Harrellson/Jordan + Ewing via minimum salary exception.

edit: maybe we could sign Donald Sloan playing for our NBDL team? I watched Erie BayHawks @ Iowa Energy last night and this guy ruined the current champions, could be a nice addition at PG... After five NBDL games he averaged 24.8 PPG, 5.2 RPG and 8.4 APG + he's only 23...

Why wouldn't it work? Paul & Okafor's salaries combined for this year = slightly over $28.9M (actually pro-rated down from an 82 to a 66-gm schedule. These guys are not getting paid for 16 games). We could put together the following package that could match up salary-wise:

CB, Turiaf, Balkman, TD, Brown, Walker, Fields, Rautins combined salaries total = $24,933,777. That's a difference of only about $4M, give or take. Now can't you include up to $3M cash in any trade? You could under the old CBA and I doubt that rule has changed. On top of that, all trades don't have to be exact down to the penny. I believe there's still a little leeway to get a deal done. I forgot exactly what it is -- within a million or two, no?

This trade could work. And remember, I didn't even include guys like Shumpert, Jordan, and Jorts which will only reduce the salary difference for this trade even further. I'd love to keep these guys out of it but truth be told, we may not have a choice. I don't see getting Chris Paul and not having to deal these 3, at least Shumpert..

There would be a ton of players moving in this deal as well as at least $3M cash but it could work. There's no question.

Been thinking about it the last couple of days, though, and I'm not sure it even behooves us to do this deal now. It might behoove us to wait and see exactly what guys like Shumpert, Jorts and Jordan wind up becoming...Fields too, in his 2nd year. What happens if Shump turns out to be a VERY GOOD player, Jorts & Jordan turn out to be very useful and Fields improves on what was already an impressive rookie season? Look, if push came to shove, and NO wanted to do it right now, I'd probably pull the trigger. Why waste a yr? Get Paul and Okafor in here right now, team them up with Melo & STAT and then go out and get some of these low-cost, bargin-bin D-league/Euro/undrafted types to fill out the rest...BUT, we equally could wait this out a little longer just to see what our own guys we'd be giving up actually are..I mean what if Shumpert and Fields blow up (esp. in Mike's offensive system)? Very well could happen..What then? I'll tell you what then..Then we don't have to include nearly as much to get Paul than we would right now to get this deal done. Could also go the other way too I suppose -- what if Fields regresses and Shump, Jorts & Jordan aren't as good as advertised?

Rumor had it yesterday that the Hornets owner might suddenly be open to making a deal before the season starts on Christmas...Not sure how to feel about that now -- do we do it or should we wait and be patient, esp. if Paul insists on being traded to NY and no other team? Just for the record, I know the Lakers are suddenly very much a player in this, but (1) I can't see any team trading a bunch of assets for a player that won't resign with them and (2) wouldn't CP3 look like a complete idiot after making a toast at Melo's wedding and talking about forming "our own big 3 in NY"? He'd look kinda dumb if he suddenly agreed to go to the Lakers now, no? I think maybe we should stand pat for now and see how this thing shakes out.

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
It's actually a lot easier to get trades done than it was before.

Previously the team giving away more had up to 125% of the value of what was being given to work with. That has now been increased to 150%. So a team could trade $10m for $15m where before they would only have received $12.5m.

For Paul and Okafor at $29 million we could give back as little as $20 million worth of salary. It's never going to happen, but just as an example ;)

finestrg

Rotation player
It's actually a lot easier to get trades done than it was before.

Previously the team giving away more had up to 125% of the value of what was being given to work with. That has now been increased to 150%. So a team could trade $10m for $15m where before they would only have received $12.5m.

For Paul and Okafor at $29 million we could give back as little as $20 million worth of salary. It's never going to happen, but just as an example ;)

OK, there ya go. I didn't know the actually % but I knew there was some additional latitude there. Thanks Smokes.