JJ Barea Considers Knicks a Great Second Option

Coveted free agent point guard JJ Barea would like to re-up with the defending champion Mavericks, but if that doesn?t work out, Barea may take his talents to New York. From the NY Daily News: ?Hornets All-Star point guard Chris Paul may be using his clout to get traded to the Big Apple, but maybe Knicks coach Mike D?Antoni and the franchise?s front office should consider a championship-caliber player who actually is a free agent. ?I still haven?t signed with nobody,? J.J. Barea said. ?That?s still got me a little. ? I just want to know where I?m going to be. That?s still my first option (signing with Dallas). I know other teams are interested. I just want to know where I?m going to be, but it?s a business.? With that notion in mind, how would Barea feel about running the point with Amar?e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony? ?I always said the Knicks would be a great second option. I love the city. I love the way they?re playing now, their style of play with D?Antoni, the players over there,? said Barea, who was in Punta Cana to support slugger David Ortiz?s annual charity golf tournament. ?We?ll see. I know Carmelo more than Amar?e. I think after (D?Antoni became coach), I said, ?That would be a great fit for me.??
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/12/jj-barea-considers-knicks-a-great-second-option/

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
Driving up his price by feigning interest in the Knicks.

I really don't see the need for him. We have Douglas/Shumpert/Billups already who can play the 1.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Wouldn't be the first time.

I really like Barea's game, but whether or not we need a scoring point guard is another thing entirely. Doesn't play the prototypical distributing point role.

Paul1355

All Star

The Mavs should do evreything to keep Barea, this guy was so important to the Mavs winning the championship.

But Barea has one chance to get a deal for more than he is worth. He is a very good player, especially for his smal height. Good passer and can hit the outside shot, and also runs a fast tempo offense.

The Knicks should definitly look into him. But we have to see how Iman Shumpert does.

Would you trade Toney Douglas for Barea?

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
We don't the money to offer J.J what he wants. Especially coming off a Championship run and having been a intricate part of it. He's not going to take MLE money. He will be resigned by the Mavs.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
We don't the money to offer J.J what he wants. Especially coming off a Championship run and having been a intricate part of it. He's not going to take MLE money. He will be resigned by the Mavs.

If that's the case, then he will be horribly overpaid. At least we won't be the ones doing it.

CA7

Scoring Champ
what the hell are we gonna do with him, we dont need him, we got Billups, Shumpert, Douglas and Fields at the 1 and 2 we need a back up 4 not named Jared Jeffries and a Center who compliments STAT

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I rather spend the vet. minimum on T-Mac than spend that money on a PG, especially since we have a better one in Billups.

Even having him as a SG, or the back-up PG wouldn't be good to spend the money on. We need to get a solid defensive center, or try to get Howard.

nyk_nyk

All Star

Exactly. Who really believes this guy???? He then goes on to mention Dantoni and claim this would be a good fit for him lololololol. He just won a title on a great team and he thinks playing for a no defense coach is a good fit for him? Barea is the worst actor ever.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
This is blasphemy! A player interested in coming to NYC BECAUSE of D'antoni!? I was assured by so many on these forums that such thing was a myth! :cool:

Paul1355

All Star
This is blasphemy! A player interested in coming to NYC BECAUSE of D'antoni!? I was assured by so many on these forums that such thing was a myth! :cool:

players want to play for mike d because they wont be bothered with real coaching, the players can coach themselves