Should Knicks Up DeAndre Jordan's $40M/5 Year Offer?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Clippers have offered DeAndre Jordan a five-year, $40 million offer, according to sources.

Jordan, a restricted free agent, may still sign an offer sheet with a higher dollar amount that forces the Clippers to match.

My favorite D Jordan video:

^

This is a reminder of what happens to the Knicks when they have to face an above average center.

Paul is an absolute non-likelihood. Look at the offers that are surfacing for him.

We can afford $9M/year, we can't afford to retread our own misplaced footsteps for another season.

I, for one, couldn't handle another season of waiting for the next. We have 2 stars, we need a center, we have Billups tutelage for Shumpert and Douglas.

When considering our playoff matchup threats: Boston, Orlando, Miami, Chicago, what we need is a big that'll add that interior deterrence when facing the likes of Wade, Rondo, James, Rose and their far more serviceable big men: Noah, Anthony, Garnett, Boozer and so forth.

Jordan, as some of you may know, is not a defensive stopper in any prototypical sense, but he has literally lightyears of potential.

Get a big man coach. Just get a new coach for that matter.

Get a post game.

Get Jordan.

☆ There seems to be some form of misconception that we need to emulate the blueprint of Miami. It's nonsense to me. The interior damage we could do with Melo, STAT and Jordan would be a veritable blitzkrieg. Sure, we'd have to adopt a system that would harbor it, that's clear.

General opinion on this opinion of mine?

I ask that you put CP3 aside when considering. This is not a thread about him.

* Waits for the Paul faithful to fire up their disdain. The second coming is more likely, IMO. Not that I don't want CP3 on this team.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217037/Clippers_Offer_DeAndre_Jordan_Five_Year_$40M_Deal#ixzz1flHqCkqf

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Good post I like DeAndre a lot, but I think he will re-sign with Clippers. I read in some article that Griffin liked to play with him as starting Center instead of Kaman who has more scoring mentallity. Jordan knows his role there. But there is no doubt that Deandre would be a perfect fit for our team at this moment. Guy who bangs, rebounds and block shots and doesn't need any touches on the offensive end? that's exactly what we need.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
DeAndre, wise shot selection, good rebounder, nice blocker = looks alright, but I'd rather look for a vet that can be a semi-coach. We have enough size and toughness in our rookies, but we lack experience...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
It's impossible to have this discussion without considering CP3 or another max level contract. The very reason you included Jordans proposed contract offer is because of the cap implications his contract would have and therefore our ability to acquire another star.

Jordan is good, fills a need but he is not worth missing out on a franchise caliber player who incidentally also fills a need.

Kiyaman

Legend
It's impossible to have this discussion without considering CP3 or another max level contract. The very reason you included Jordans proposed contract offer is because of the cap implications his contract would have and therefore our ability to acquire another star.

Jordan is good, fills a need but he is not worth missing out on a franchise caliber player who incidentally also fills a need.

I disagree....adding CP3 or lowering the cap for next year will stop the Knicks
from creating a system with the right tools in just 66 games. There are centers
in this FA market we can sign that presence give both Amare & Melo a great edge
over oponents consistently as a team.

Example....is DeAndre Jordan worth $8M per? Jordan & Blake Griffin been working
out together for two seasons, Blake did not miss a step from college to NBA....
Blake actually got better. The Clippers see Jordan & Blake only getting better each
of the next 5 seasons.

smokes

Huge Member
Can someone explain how we have $9m to spend I'm not sure I quite understand. If the cap is supposed to be in the $58m range we are already over the cap.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Can someone explain how we have $9m to spend I'm not sure I quite understand. If the cap is supposed to be in the $58m range we are already over the cap.

why let facts and reality get in the way of a Knicks aquisition?

We're 2 million over the cap but well below the luxury tax. ALL we have is the MLE at 5 million.

smokes

Huge Member
why let facts and reality get in the way of a Knicks aquisition?

We're 2 million over the cap but well below the luxury tax. ALL we have is the MLE at 5 million.

Thanks for clearing that up. Didn't think we had a chance at a legit big man this offseason and that reassures me that I was right :(

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
What if we use the amnesty on Turiaf? He has a $4M contract. I mean, I love his passion and defense, but he is simply not worth the cash he is getting. If we used yhe amnesty on him, would we get.....

MLE + $4M = $9M = DeAndre Jordan ????????

If it works that way, then we should go get it done!

:beer:

moneyg

Starter
What if we use the amnesty on Turiaf? He has a $4M contract. I mean, I love his passion and defense, but he is simply not worth the cash he is getting. If we used yhe amnesty on him, would we get.....

MLE + $4M = $9M = DeAndre Jordan ????????

If it works that way, then we should go get it done!

:beer:

you can only use the MLE if your over the cap. releasin turiaf would only gives us lets money to spend.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
you can only use the MLE if your over the cap. releasin turiaf would only gives us lets money to spend.

VanGundy.jpg

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Wrong wrong wrong plus radical option

Turiaf is a UFA so he cannot be amnestied. Period.

There is a radical amnesty move no one seems to have considered:

Amnesty Billups.

Do not get me wrong. I like Chauncy. I do not think he is "done", rather I think he has quite a bit left in the tank. However, if you amnesty Billups, you are instantly $12 million or more under the cap right now.

You can now sign assets the Hornets would deal CP3 for.

A bit nasty both to Billups and to the asset(s) you sign and later trade, but it is a viable option, if your only goal is to lock up CP3.

Or you could sign DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler to any size deal you want to.

Personally, I would rather wait and see what a healthy Billups and our young players can do this year, along side a healthy Melo and Stat, then decide on the best way forward next summer. Maybe that does not involve CP3 or Howard but a set of solid role players that fit together (the truly radical notion).

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Adding the right tools for a winning 66 game season

The NBA TRANSACTION on December 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th may go down
in NBA history.....multible trades, FA signings, draft signings, and amnesty.

The GM's that dont take part in this 4 day transaction-frenzy to get the
missing pieces to their teams by any means neccessary (because they are
in a trance over CP3, D.Howard, Deron) they deserve the outcome of what
their players give them in this 66 game season.

The Knicks have the chance to sign 3 rookie contracts (Jordan, Jorts, Shump),
plus add a veteran-center to their starting lineup using the MLE to a 4 year
contract all on Dec. 9th & 10th. On the 11th & 12th the Knicks could look to
sign n trade Shawn Williams who stock went up.
The Knicks starting the season with wins will up the value of players for trades...

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
On the 11th & 12th the Knicks could look to
sign n trade Shawn Williams who stock went up.

I really doubt anyone would want to S+T for Shawne Williams. He basically had a hot start shooting last year, then feel completely back to earth in the second half. (47.5% to 33.6% from three, pre to post all-star break)

That doesn't make his stock much higher, and he really isn't that great a player to warrant a sign and trade. Other teams would just offer him a low contract and if he accepts, fine. If not, then move on to the other FA's who are just as talented.

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer
Turiaf is a UFA so he cannot be amnestied. Period.

There is a radical amnesty move no one seems to have considered:

Amnesty Billups.

Do not get me wrong. I like Chauncy. I do not think he is "done", rather I think he has quite a bit left in the tank. However, if you amnesty Billups, you are instantly $12 million or more under the cap right now.

You can now sign assets the Hornets would deal CP3 for.

A bit nasty both to Billups and to the asset(s) you sign and later trade, but it is a viable option, if your only goal is to lock up CP3.

Or you could sign DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler to any size deal you want to.

Personally, I would rather wait and see what a healthy Billups and our young players can do this year, along side a healthy Melo and Stat, then decide on the best way forward next summer. Maybe that does not involve CP3 or Howard but a set of solid role players that fit together (the truly radical notion).

Turiaf exercised his player option before the lockout. So he can be amnestied. But like it was previously brought up it is pointless to do so.

It's an interesting thought but the Knicks can't afford to give up Billups without an experienced PG on the roster. Also even if the Knicks create cap room by cutting Billups free agents maybe hesitant to sign knowing they could be used as trade bait later on for CP3.

The more I think about it would it be better for the Knicks to cut Billups and sign one of the big centers and bring a cheap vet pg or keep Billups and bring in a cheap vet big man?