NBA 2k12

smokes

Huge Member
Thinking of buying it now that basketball is back on the cards for this year. Is it any good? I heard it's a pretty frustrating game this year.

Did they fix it so the crowd isn't silent after you hit a game winner on your home court?

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Trust me, it's great! I bought it for my PS3 last month but then my PS3 died. :(

Thinking about gettin it for the 360 later. :beer:

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
after seeing this......and this, with regards to 2k12, I was like
a695b7fc20d9ef9d1c455bc7058616987c3fea9a_full.jpg

smokes

Huge Member
You guys serious? I can't get my head around the popularity of this game seriously. It's still exactly the same as NBA 2k9 there really is almost no difference. Graphics are the same, animations are the same, I'm really not a fan.

Maybe I just suck but it feels so damn clunky, like when you're trying to run around the court you can't change direction quickly, all the animations are canned ones and you get stuck doing stuff you don't want to... The amount of times I've been called for 3 second violations when I started trying to leave the key after 1 second but some guy is pushing me back in... Also using the left stick for moving and ISO moves is just awful why the hell they didn't put it as the right stick for ISO is beyond me, shot stick is totally unnecessary since there is a button for shooting. Pulling off ISO moves is just silly half the time you get a move you didn't want and all this crap...

Trying to defend on ball is just ridiculous as soon as you make the slightest movement in one direction the CPU just blows right by you the other way, constantly trying to play catch up, almost no time to react to what the CPU is doing.

I dunno like I said maybe I just suck at NBA 2k but I can't say this years feels like any kind of improvement on previous years which is kinda silly, they've had 1 year to improve stuff and only added a new menu, some cutscenes and stuff, nothing has been truly revamped.

If you guys wanna give me some tips to how you handle these things it would be cool if not this game is going back in a week or two :lol:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
You guys serious? I can't get my head around the popularity of this game seriously. It's still exactly the same as NBA 2k9 there really is almost no difference. Graphics are the same, animations are the same, I'm really not a fan.

Maybe I just suck but it feels so damn clunky, like when you're trying to run around the court you can't change direction quickly, all the animations are canned ones and you get stuck doing stuff you don't want to... The amount of times I've been called for 3 second violations when I started trying to leave the key after 1 second but some guy is pushing me back in... Also using the left stick for moving and ISO moves is just awful why the hell they didn't put it as the right stick for ISO is beyond me, shot stick is totally unnecessary since there is a button for shooting. Pulling off ISO moves is just silly half the time you get a move you didn't want and all this crap...

Trying to defend on ball is just ridiculous as soon as you make the slightest movement in one direction the CPU just blows right by you the other way, constantly trying to play catch up, almost no time to react to what the CPU is doing.

I dunno like I said maybe I just suck at NBA 2k but I can't say this years feels like any kind of improvement on previous years which is kinda silly, they've had 1 year to improve stuff and only added a new menu, some cutscenes and stuff, nothing has been truly revamped.

If you guys wanna give me some tips to how you handle these things it would be cool if not this game is going back in a week or two :lol:

Just bought a copy of the game for the 360. One thing I noticed was that the graphics is much much better compared to the PS3 version.

The game is great and maybe the best NBA 2K game they've ever created.

Paul1355

All Star
Only downsides with NBA 2k12...........

1) you can't use your my player online...which was the best part about nba 2k11.

2) The defensive AI is so good it's unrealistic.

3) The AI blocks every shot....I had darren collison stuff Amare as Amare was open for a dunk, it was just the most comical thing I have ever seen.

4) The AI steals everything and they can still see passes without looking at the ball like nba 2k11.

5) Crowd reacts better with big games, etc but they are still quiet when u hit big shots at times, 2k sports has to improve this and make it like EA sports NHL where the crowd is awesome.

6) Players still do stupid things when they are playing as AI, such as going for a lay up and shooting under the rim, hitting the rim, which we only see in middle school basketball games, or if Jared Jeffries is playing :teeth:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
yea i wish 2k would change the crowd in the game. like if its a close game with 1 minute left i want them going crazy. also playoff games get buckwild from the tip add the towels or something that would be insane i wish they add that to 2k13 its all the game is missing in my opinion.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Only downsides with NBA 2k12...........

1) you can't use your my player online...which was the best part about nba 2k11.

2) The defensive AI is so good it's unrealistic.

3) The AI blocks every shot....I had darren collison stuff Amare as Amare was open for a dunk, it was just the most comical thing I have ever seen.

4) The AI steals everything and they can still see passes without looking at the ball like nba 2k11.

5) Crowd reacts better with big games, etc but they are still quiet when u hit big shots at times, 2k sports has to improve this and make it like EA sports NHL where the crowd is awesome.

6) Players still do stupid things when they are playing as AI, such as going for a lay up and shooting under the rim, hitting the rim, which we only see in middle school basketball games, or if Jared Jeffries is playing :teeth:

This is probably the most accurate description based on my experience. I've had the game since it first came out.

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
As a casual player I quite like 2K12, particularly how they have set up the My Player mode so you can play key games only. Makes the game progress much quicker. However, on my My Player file, I got drafted by the Jazz but requested a trade to the Knicks which was granted. However about 3 games later Melo was traded to the Hawks for Horford and Smith and a few games after that Stoudemire was traded to the Sixers for Iguodala and Young. Probably over all a better team but the point of me wanting to be traded to the Knicks aside from being a fan was so I could play with STAT and Melo! Only a game I know, but still annoying!!

Paul1355

All Star
As a casual player I quite like 2K12, particularly how they have set up the My Player mode so you can play key games only. Makes the game progress much quicker. However, on my My Player file, I got drafted by the Jazz but requested a trade to the Knicks which was granted. However about 3 games later Melo was traded to the Hawks for Horford and Smith and a few games after that Stoudemire was traded to the Sixers for Iguodala and Young. Probably over all a better team but the point of me wanting to be traded to the Knicks aside from being a fan was so I could play with STAT and Melo! Only a game I know, but still annoying!!

I forgot to mention that during my player mode, the teams make ridiculous trades.

I was drafted by the Suns and ten games later the Suns traded Steve Nash for no one special. Then I was working great as a PG and hitting Vince Carter every game, they traded him. I don't understand the moves.

Paul1355

All Star
This is probably the most accurate description based on my experience. I've had the game since it first came out.

thanks for the comment, I;ve been trying to find people who adjusted the game sliders to realistic settings.If you know any sites that posted game sliders that work, let me know. I know changing game sliders made my nba 2k11 experience better.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Well, I'm a firm believer in that video games should give the choice of a challenging game AND simple fun for fun sake. MyPlayer isn't fun, altho I hear they raised the talent level of a first yr MyPlayer guy (in 2k11, u started out as considerably worse than the worse player in the league). But still, the CPU is able to warp in front of you when you've beaten them off the dribble and still with the animations that ignore ur actions.....smh, i just gave up.....

smokes

Huge Member
Well, I'm a firm believer in that video games should give the choice of a challenging game AND simple fun for fun sake. MyPlayer isn't fun, altho I hear they raised the talent level of a first yr MyPlayer guy (in 2k11, u started out as considerably worse than the worse player in the league). But still, the CPU is able to warp in front of you when you've beaten them off the dribble and still with the animations that ignore ur actions.....smh, i just gave up.....

Exactly thats the kind of thing that annoys me about the game, all of these preset animations that take far too long to execute. Also feels like there is no space at all on the court, you can ISO, beat your man off the dribble and before you even get to the key your path has already been blocked.

I think its a real shame this is the only basketball game on the market because there's no motivation for them to really improve the game. The game still has all the same problems from 2k10 and 2k11, things you would expect to have been fixed with a patch shortly after release yet 2 years later they are still releasing unfinished, buggy games.

The My Player mode is just stupid now, if you don't play PG you have to call for every pass you want thrown to you. You can be wide open charging into the lane and call for a pass and they won't throw it to you and it pops up "bad call for pass".

Oh well, it's the only game out there so guess I will stick with it and hope they actually bother to release the patch for the PC version unlike other years when they patch XBOX and PS3 and then wait 4 months to fix the PC version, and don't fix anything.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Paul: good description of what most gamers think about 2K12; to be honest this is the first one of the entire series I decided to purchase and now I'm definately disappointed. Firstly, it isn't worth €59.99/$79.99, which is how much you have to take out of your wallet here in Europe. Secondly, the AI is ridiculous, no matter how quick, strong or skilled is your player, you opponent is always quicker, stronger and even more skilled. I get Amare coming off the screen, easy pass and when it looks like a power dunk coming BANG two or more defenders coming out of nowhere and blocking my guy; or when I use Toney to create enough space for a jumper or find a way to make a layup, no matter how quick crossovers he takes he never finds a free spot/passage. I could keep writing more and more about transition, isolation and plays but it doesn't change anything, this game sucks. And last but not least, when you've somehow got better and and start beating almost every time this game becomes more and more difficult, your difficulty level isn't changed but you feel it's got harder to take a good shot...

iSaYughh

Starter
This game is to imperfect to warrant how tough it is to "master" and have real, intuitive fun with.

If I'm not going to get easy, consistent satisfaction from playing a sports game, it better be because the perfection of detail top to bottom is there; and I can justify slaving through a steep learning curve, pissed off, to master things because the end result is the pinnacle of an awesome NBA experience in video game form.

Shame they haven't perfected this game yet. Basketball could be the ultimate sports game for the platforms out there now.

IMHO, NHL games are the most evolved at this point.

Paul1355

All Star
@Paul: good description of what most gamers think about 2K12; to be honest this is the first one of the entire series I decided to purchase and now I'm definately disappointed. Firstly, it isn't worth ?59.99/$79.99, which is how much you have to take out of your wallet here in Europe. Secondly, the AI is ridiculous, no matter how quick, strong or skilled is your player, you opponent is always quicker, stronger and even more skilled. I get Amare coming off the screen, easy pass and when it looks like a power dunk coming BANG two or more defenders coming out of nowhere and blocking my guy; or when I use Toney to create enough space for a jumper or find a way to make a layup, no matter how quick crossovers he takes he never finds a free spot/passage. I could keep writing more and more about transition, isolation and plays but it doesn't change anything, this game sucks. And last but not least, when you've somehow got better and and start beating almost every time this game becomes more and more difficult, your difficulty level isn't changed but you feel it's got harder to take a good shot...

wow $80 for a video game? Europe is cashing in.

The AI is too intelligent and too skilled, but this is because in 2k11 it was so easy to dunk over players and get ridicuous layups.

In 2k11 I had an amazing put back dunk with Terrence Williams, he jumped so high that his waist was at rim level on the putback and he did the putback over Lebron James and Dwayne Wade LOL unrealistic to say the least

And people were complaining about that.

They improved the fast paced game because in 2k11 you could never have a fast break pass because the AI would always steal it and anticipate an alleyoop. They still get every alleyoop pass in 2k12 but not as many full court passes for the fast break.

Players still make steals without even seeing the ball, it's ridiculous and idk how to fix it. Do I lower the AI defensive rating? I feel like that would just make them retarded.

I want to find someone who made sliders for the game that made the game feel realistic. I did this in 2k11 and made my experience ten times better, but I have yet to find good slider settings were a person was satisfied.

Some people changed their slider setting to increase the steals for the AI! I was like "this makes no sense"

And if you want to know a play that always works on offense, which has to be addressed in the next game, its a play were you post up your man and spin off him, works everysingle time and i blow past the defender, doesnt matter who you are or who the defender is, which just adds to the fantasy that this game displays.

I was pumped for this game, but it was disappointing. I still can't get this out of my mind, playing my friend online and he hit a 3point shot with Dwight Howard...smh

smokes

Huge Member
This game is to imperfect to warrant how tough it is to "master" and have real, intuitive fun with.

If I'm not going to get easy, consistent satisfaction from playing a sports game, it better be because the perfection of detail top to bottom is there; and I can justify slaving through a steep learning curve, pissed off, to master things because the end result is the pinnacle of an awesome NBA experience in video game form.

Shame they haven't perfected this game yet. Basketball could be the ultimate sports game for the platforms out there now.

IMHO, NHL games are the most evolved at this point.

Don't know if you've played FIFA but they have that to an extremely high level right now. Problem is online is still plagued with totally random BS that screws you over. However in general most games are satisfying.

The worst things about this game is the canned animations that take way too long, awful player physics and lack of freedom of movement. I never played it but I do remember watching gameplay footage of EA Sports NBA 2010 game and the way they had the players move and do dribble moves looked AWESOME. Considering that it was the NBA 2k developer who first defected to EA and then returned to 2ksports who developed this system it seems crazy that they didn't implement it into the 2k series after 2 years.

The isomotion system is ridiculous that it uses the same stick that you need to move your player with. How are you supposed to pull off an intuitive move whilst running with the ball, when you have to have the stick held forward to move yet to do the iso move you need to do a motion on the stick which does not start from a forward position?

Trying to dribble at all with any PF/C is a joke, you will just give up the ball every time. Seriously a guy like Amare can't take 2 dribble touches without tripping over himself and letting the ball roll off into the oppositions hands? Plus everything just takes way too long to pull off, trying to set a screen or get into position to call for a pass when playing off the ball, and by the time you can pull it off the play has already moved to the other side of the court.

I hope EA comes back with their NBA franchise ASAP even if their game sucks it would at least give 2k some reason to try to make a good game.

iSaYughh

Starter
Don't know if you've played FIFA but they have that to an extremely high level right now. Problem is online is still plagued with totally random BS that screws you over. However in general most games are satisfying.

The worst things about this game is the canned animations that take way too long, awful player physics and lack of freedom of movement. I never played it but I do remember watching gameplay footage of EA Sports NBA 2010 game and the way they had the players move and do dribble moves looked AWESOME. Considering that it was the NBA 2k developer who first defected to EA and then returned to 2ksports who developed this system it seems crazy that they didn't implement it into the 2k series after 2 years.

The isomotion system is ridiculous that it uses the same stick that you need to move your player with. How are you supposed to pull off an intuitive move whilst running with the ball, when you have to have the stick held forward to move yet to do the iso move you need to do a motion on the stick which does not start from a forward position?

Trying to dribble at all with any PF/C is a joke, you will just give up the ball every time. Seriously a guy like Amare can't take 2 dribble touches without tripping over himself and letting the ball roll off into the oppositions hands? Plus everything just takes way too long to pull off, trying to set a screen or get into position to call for a pass when playing off the ball, and by the time you can pull it off the play has already moved to the other side of the court.

I hope EA comes back with their NBA franchise ASAP even if their game sucks it would at least give 2k some reason to try to make a good game.

Actually am not well versed in FIFA; but ya, I have heard more and more that FIFA is at an extremely high level. I might give that a serious look now! :beer:

LOL @ Amare's handle described. Too true, too true.

We really do need EA to come back. Especially with 2k getting such love from the "professional" reviewer crew....:alert: WTF?