• We have enough offense between STAT & Melo but could be good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We need a perimeter defender, not a scorer

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
http://www.hoopsworld.com/new-york-knicks-pursuing-jamal-crawford/

One day after reaching a surprising agreement with center Tyson Chandler, the New York Knicks are attempting to acquire another notable free agent. The Knicks are zeroing in on Jamal Crawford and trying to add the veteran shooting guard through a sign-and-trade, according to sources close to the situation.

The Knicks contacted Crawford?s camp on Friday and are trying to sell him on the situation. Crawford would have to take a significant pay cut to join the Knicks, but sources say he?s open to the idea.

New York is over the cap and has no exception money. They also have few trade assets to offer. If the Hawks were willing to do a sign-and-trade with New York built around Renaldo Balkman?s $1.67 million deal, Bill Walker?s $916,000 deal and Toney Douglas? $1.145 million deal, the Knicks would be sending out $3.73 million in salaries. The new collective bargaining agreement would allow New York to take back 150 percent plus or minus $100,000, which would give Crawford a starting salary of $5.6 million.

Last season, Crawford averaged 14.2 points for the Atlanta Hawks. In 2010, Crawford won the NBA?s Sixth Man of the Year award. Mike Woodson, who is now an assistant coach with the Knicks, coached Crawford in Atlanta and the two are still very close.

The Knicks are doing whatever they can to surround Carmelo Anthony and Amar?e Stoudemire with talent. The addition of Chandler was a start and they?d love to add Crawford to their core as well.

Giving up TD's defense for Jamal's offense on a stacked offensive team?

Are we so convinced with Chandler's interior D that we subtract from our perimeter D? Crawford is not a defender, even in the slightest sense of the word.

crawford.jpg

I can see how he'd work in a perfect world: create spacing, break down defenses and so on, but Crawford is a notorious chucker, and probably less of a marksman from range than Douglas. He can create offense, but after years of watching him in NY, it is rarely for the sake of playmaking - as opposed to shot creating for himself.

ANd now that Woodson's on board, are we looking to emulate his Hawks back court of Bibby and JC? Seems a bit odd, no?

We don't need a perimeter ball handler that isn't going to pass the ball. That's that, IMO.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

With a front court that rebounds well between TC and Melo defensively, and blocks shots well between TC and Amar'e, we have a, potentially, top 10 perhaps top 8 defensive front court, IF there is a solid culmination between them.

Our front court is sweet - and I'm loving it.

When I think back court, I initially consider what we need from them:

DEFENSE

When considering our Eastern conference competition alone, the balance of power has swung from West to East behind the trades and acquisitions of the league's premier back court players:

Rose, Wade, Jennings, Iguodala, Rondo, Holiday, Allen and so on. Now that the Nets are looking at adding Dwight Howard, stopping - or at least containing - Deron Williams is paramount. That is a tandem that could haunt the Knicks for the next 8 years. Perish the thought! Even if they don't get Howard, we don't want our rival team's best player lighting us up at any point at any time. PERIOD.

So in seeing the benefactors of acquiring Jamal Crawford, you have to wonder: "is he the guy for the job?" Come playoff time, do we really want the likes of Rose and Wade to catch fire against us? With Crawford feigning defense against them, that seems likely - no - inevitable.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Well if we do it I pray we start either Bibby/Fields or Shumpert/Crawford nonetheless as good as STAT and Melo are offensively, we need another perimeter threat. Crawford will mainly be our option guy for the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters while Melo rests for the last 6-8minutes. If we get Crawford I guess that means bye bye to Shawne Williams and JJ Barea but who knows at this point, we went from being conservative to outright animals in the open market in a matter of hours and I'm loving it

This would be a horrible trade. I don't want Jamal Crawford on this team at all, and he sure as **ck isn't worth giving up TD. Dude is a chucker that plays zero defense and is streaky as hell! PERIOD.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
damn im loving these Knicks, Animals and are straight up trying to get PLAYERS! J.Crawford would be nice but i wanna keep douglas as our PG to that team i feel when we come together we'd be difficult to beat and can make a run for a chip THIS YEAR. we have our 3 guys that were committed to and they committed to us now were surrounding them and i love it. LEGOOO

imagine

Douglas/Shumpert/Bibby
Crawford/Fields
Melo/Fields
STAT/Jorts
Chandler/Jordan/Jeffries

we can do work with this team.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I can live with streakyness and all that. Let's not confuse Crawford's chucking with downright crazy chucking (Al Harrington).

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We could get Allen Iverson instead without trading Douglas.

Stop it. Please. AI is not going to return to the NBA unless it's for the Heat. Even then, his one major advantage was his incredible speed, which has drastically declined, and will continue to decline. Add to that his penchant for narcissism and laziness, along with a self instilled right to be the focal player regardless of game plans whenever he sees fit.

[I"]I play every game like it's my last."[/I]

That was such a load of excrement. He did that for one season. An incredibly gifted athlete with a horrible attitude, whose incredible gift has dissipated.

Now can we please return to reality, and discuss more important matters?

CoolClyde

crawfish!

this is crawful news! actually couldn't care less about Balkmania, only
concerned a tad about Skywalker, but losing Toney D?

positives: Crawful knows Mike D, he can drive and thrive, hit 3's,
and be that scorer when Melo's mellowing out.

negatives: lack of defense, loss of Toney D.

so essentially, it's Crawful O. vs Toney D.

i just don't know. we've got the backcourt D sewn up between Stat and
Chanhandler, but we need a frontcourt D. Toney D.

guess I'd rather keep Toney D at this point (not point guard),
but if we get Crawful, it won't be the worst thing to have one of the
best 6th men in the league back on the squad.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Maybe we should see how Shumpert plays.
But that'd be assuming we drafted someone that we wanted to use.

smokes

Huge Member
No way not at the expense of Douglas. Yes he can score but we have a decent amount of scoring. Probably not as much as we will need sometimes but we can't go giving up our best defenders for shooters.

Wargames

Starter
Ehhh dude is a chucked but if the Knicks get barea and have Bibby as a back-up Crawford is not the worse sixth man out there. In fact he is damn good at it. So I'm conflicted on this news. I know he sort of sucks however it removes balkman so I'm even more conflicted.

finestrg

Rotation player
No way not at the expense of Douglas. Yes he can score but we have a decent amount of scoring. Probably not as much as we will need sometimes but we can't go giving up our best defenders for shooters.

Agreed. Been there, done that with this guy. I say keep Toney. We've got enough scoring. I'm also concerned how this guy's freelance-type game would influence Iman Shumpert's game. Shump's got all the tools but one thing coming outta Georgia Tech that he really needs to improve is his shot selection. Crawford's shot selection has always been terrible..I wouldn't want Shump to look at this guy everyday and think it's OK to bomb away and force it like Crawford does..If Toney's gonna go in a deal, I want a better player than Crawford.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
damn im loving these Knicks, Animals and are straight up trying to get PLAYERS! J.Crawford would be nice but i wanna keep douglas as our PG to that team i feel when we come together we'd be difficult to beat and can make a run for a chip THIS YEAR. we have our 3 guys that were committed to and they committed to us now were surrounding them and i love it. LEGOOO

imagine

Douglas/Shumpert/Bibby
Crawford/Fields
Melo/Fields
STAT/Jorts
Chandler/Jordan/Jeffries

we can do work with this team.

The deal INCLUDED Douglas!

Sorry but NO, I do not want a streaky chucker... already got a few, no thanks.

I want defenders, and at the least (Unless T DOug is still hurt) TD can defend his position.

We should be targeting PG facilitators and defenders as I'm not sure Fields can defend his position either.

Better than Bibby, that's for sure!!

Still not ideal, but atleast he's a great ballhandler and I think he could run the PG spot for us.

We still have Douglas and Shumpert for defensive purposes...but neither of them can bring the ball upcourt yet, Jamal can with his sick handles and experience.

Would be an ok signing imo.

His shake and bake moves are some of the sweetest stuff we saw under the Isiah regime :thumbsup:

skisloper

Starter
Absolutely no reason for Crawford. Douglas plays defense and Crawford never does.

BUT if Crawford is signed cheap enough I wonder if a deal of Him and Fields is much more valuable then that of Douglas and Fields.....

We still need a top shooting guard. I view Fields as a 6th man ( for now ) and Tony D as a 7th man.

toNYknicks

Benchwarmer
Jamal needs to be playing streetball somewhere. As much as I loved that play where he blocked the shot and made it in form half court for the win I still dont want someone throwing it off the backboard and trying to put the ball thru his legs when were losing. Im sure someone will overpay for him anyway.