Tyson Chandler says Knicks D coming along..

Chandler Has High Hopes For New York, Says Defense Is Getting "Much Better"

ap-201112121625591122163.jpg

The Knicks have had a long standing reputation for being mediocre on the defensive end in the past decade. Newest Knick Tyson Chandler, however, thinks that's about to change.

"You will be surprised" - Chandler grinned, after being asked whether he thought New York will improve on the defensive end in the upcoming season.
"Training camp was much better than expected, defense is getting to be a much better focus for this team. Carmelo and Amare were hounding the other guys when they slacked off on a defensive possession. I didn't get a break either, and I think defense is a big reason they wanted me here in the first place, so that really says something"

When asked about whether he had concerns about Mike D'Antoni, Chandler was quick to respond.
"None", Chandler shrugged.
"This was another thing that suprised me, Coach introduced several defensive schemes to not only me but everyone else, so I think this is something new. I'm aware that he is probably more known for his offense, but he had us really hustling in camp, just as much as we did in Dallas. If our guys stay committed I think we can really make a push for the best defensive team in the league."

Chandler made his debut as a New York Knick on Saturday, where he contributed 4 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 27 minutes, on route to a win over the New Jersey Nets. The Knicks held the Nets to 83 points. Chandler will get back on the court on Wednesday for a rematch against New Jersey, this time at the Garden.
Gonna be at the garden tomorrow to get a first hand look. We can only hope it translates into the regular season and beyond..

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
Promising... Best defense in the league? Big words. Let's hope they can at least get into the top 10.

Promising... Best defense in the league? Big words. Let's hope they can at least get into the top 10.

The first two playoff games in Boston we played great defense! We were like a different team out there.

I was really surprised by our defensive performance in those two games, didn't expect that. We only lost those two games because of horrible calls and injuries. After that we gave up and lost our energy for games 3 and 4.

This is really promising, and it was without Tyson Chandler and coach Woodson!

Imagine how good this team can be defensively with Chandler, Woodson and the same energy they showed in those first two playoff games!

I don't think they'll go all out on defense every games, it's too demanding and we're probably good enough to beat teams like Toronto or Charlotte even without 100% effort on D.

But watch out for those Knicks against the top teams and especially in the Playoffs!

DrB

Benchwarmer
No Mo' Matador D

Gonna be at the garden tomorrow to get a first hand look. We can only hope it translates into the regular season and beyond..
For how many years, don't answer, have we heard our beloved defensive ace of all time say "the Knicks are playing a MATADOR DEFENSE". Hands up, Move your feet , and don't turn your head. If you get 18 and your guy get 22 you get a MINUS 4. Simple as that.....we must improve our defense right out of the box.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
im officially excited right now. of one of the best C's and defensive presence in the league to say this about our squad, it really gets you excited. DAMN I CANT WAIT #bigthingscoming

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Chandler has been known of bragging, I'd be more convinced about our defense if Woodson said we're improving on that end.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
2nd (final) pre-season game

The defensive intensity of the 2nd team in the 2nd half was notable.

In particular, Harrellson and Balkman, but also Shumpert and even Devin Green (who is mostly known as an offensive player).

We also did see some of the problems they will have at point guard until Baron Davis gets healthy. Carmelo, however, was very good on the assist end, working as the "point forward" when the offense bogged down.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Loved What I Saw on the D

For how many years, don't answer, have we heard our beloved defensive ace of all time say "the Knicks are playing a MATADOR DEFENSE". Hands up, Move your feet , and don't turn your head. If you get 18 and your guy get 22 you get a MINUS 4. Simple as that.....we must improve our defense right out of the box.
After watching the second Pre season Game...
I saw very few wide open 3's allowed...we were in their face
I saw tremendous energy and GREAT defense by the second unit in the second half
I saw Melo being Melo on offense but GREAT on the D
I saw Amare very rusty on his 15 foot jump shot
I was happy to see TONEY get the breakaway lay up and go for a total of 13 points...he needs confidence
I saw Harrellson looking like a DAVID LEE...of yester year
I saw Tyson as the new team leader on the D and it was contagious...
I saw us contain and baffle Lopez..
I wonder if I was thinking in game one that BALKMAN was a fluke..WRONG he's got game.
I saw Green being a fine addition
I was surprised Bill Walker did not play
I was happy to see JJ on the bench...
I heard Bibby strained his back...but even well he not the answer so
Lastly I was happy to Baron Davis dressed...even if he can't play yet

ON TO BOSTON....this Nets PRESEASON was just that....

We're well on our way

Tyson said we are improving and after watching last night's game, he's definitely right. We scored less than 90 points in a game, with a 34% FG percentage and still won the game. TO be fair, it was the NJ Nets but we seemed to improve every defensive scheme since the first game. We had some great rebounds, especially offensive.

The defense started with Tyson with 12 rebounds and 2 blocks. Then Carmelo showed that he can hold his own on that side of the court. I swear, if Melo keeps rebounding and playing D the way he's doing for the whole season, I can't see why you don't mention him and Lebron in the same sentence. Plus he's clutch unlike Lebrick.
If the defense keeps improving, the acquisitions of Chandler (and Woodson) will go down as one of the best from our FO. Also may save D'Antoni's job. Thank him later Mike