Let's stop it with the Trade Melo/Amar'e crap

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Everybody in the realms of the NBA and media, from Michael Kay, to us on KO, to basically everybody who even gives two shits about the Knicks, has been claiming that Stoudemire and Anthony cannot co-exist and one of them needs to be traded.

STAT pre-ASB 2010-2011 season: 50.7 FG%, 26.1 PPG (averaged 19.4 FGA per Game)
STAT post-ASB 2010-2011 season: 49.1 FG%, 23.5 PPG (averaged 18.2 FGA per Game)

In other words? STAT played about as well before the trade as he did after the trade. Yeah, his numbers went down a little bit, but that's to be expected when you get two new teammates all of a sudden. All in all, he did get slightly worse, but it wasn't a cause for concern, because it happens.

The Knicks lost in the playoffs last season for three reasons:

1. Injuries to Amar'e, Billups, and TD.
2. Bullshit calls. Kevin Garnett blatantly tripped Toney Douglas and got away with it.
3. Weak as shit in the paint. Let's be honest, Ronny Turiaf is a sad excuse for a starting C for any team hoping to win a Championship, or even get to the Conference Finals.

Now, onto this season:

I think everybody might be underrating how bad our PG situation is.

Three seasons ago CHRIS ****ING DUHOUND was able to average 7.2 assists per game on this team with David Lee and Al Harrington as the primary scorers on the team. Mike D'Antoni's offense (regardless of whether or not you like it, I personally don't, but whatever) is EASY AS HELL for any remotely talented PG to run. If Chris Duhon could average 7.2 assists per game, the fact that our PGs are averaging half of that leads us to only one conclusion - our PGs are even worse than Duhon was when he was here. And we remember how much we hated that son of a bitch for partying his ass off instead of actually playing basketball. ****ing Dookie.

THAT, friends, is how bad our PG situation is. It's not that we have a deficiency at PG. We literally have NO point guard at all.

An offense with two superstars like this one needs a FLOOR GENERAL to run the team. Someone who is willing to defer to other players - someone who knows that his job is FIRST AND FOREMOST to CREATE for other players. And honestly, creating for other players in this offense isn't hard. If Chris Duhon could do it, and if Raymond Felton (who averaged barely 5.5 assists in CHA) could become a borderline all-star by doing it, then that means that any remotely talented PG could run this offense. The problem? We don't have talented PGs. Not even close.

This point guard needs to be someone who has the leadership ability to tell Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire how to play basketball. This needs to be a guy who can shout orders to the rest of his teammates and orchestrate the offense cause this bum coach isn't doing shit. This, my friends, is not Toney Douglas or Iman Shumpert - they simply DO NOT have the experience, the talent, the clout...ANYTHING that gives them the authority to tell anybody else how to do anything. Toney Douglas showed the ability to do it last year, but that's because he had Chauncey Billups guiding him, mentoring him, and serving as a leader to show him how things were done. I wholeheartedly believe that Chauncey was our team's leader last year...he probably did more coaching than Mike D ever did.

I like Carmelo, I really do. Despite the trade, I think that he's a player who will be critical to this team's future in the long run. But he's not a playmaker. He is one of the most versatile and talented scorers in the game whose instinct is to win the game for his team. And he does it well. Asking him to be a playmaker doesn't make much sense, nor does asking STAT to create his own shot from the perimeter and taking away the biggest advantage he has - his size and strength.

This team right now is like a bunch of instruments in an orchestra with no conductor. It's ugly ass shit. And in some cases, maybe the coach could do it. But our coach isn't doing it, or can't do it, so we need a point guard who can.

All I'm asking is that we stop the talk about how Carmelo and Amar'e can't co-exist. They can, and they can do it well. They just need someone to facilitate for them. Billups did it, and he was the completely wrong point guard for the D'Antoni system that the team was running pre-trade (but, what do you know, Amar'e played just fine after the trade). We knew when we got them that they were primarily off-ball players (Carmelo is not the primary ballhandler and never should be, honestly) who were at their best when playing without the ball in their hands. Telling a couple of off-ball players to create their own shots is stupid - it takes away their talent and their skills and replaces it with playground style basketball. Until we find some way to let them utilize their talents off the ball in the hands of someone who can get them the ball, we won't win. Ever.

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
i predict baron avg 7.3 assists per game this year max people underestimate him i believe he is motivated enough to be great for this knicks team

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Ekhm, "in Baron we trust". There is a lot of pressure on him, but if he can carry this team NY will welcome him like Jesus passing the gates of Jerusalem.

Eman

Benchwarmer
Who then becomes the back up point? Douglas or Shump? Or does Shump start at the 2 position?

Who then becomes the back up point? Douglas or Shump? Or does Shump start at the 2 position?

I always thought the plan was to make BIbby the backup PG!?

For some reason he's not playing, either D'Antoni doesn't like him or he's injured more often than not.

Both Shumpert and Douglas suck as point guards, they're shooting guards.

skisloper

Starter
Everyone agrees the Knicks need a PG.
SHUMP and TD are NOT PG. They are not even back-up PG'S.
Baron Davis will be our starting PG .
If Bibby is not the back-up then the Knicks need to get a back-up.

CoolClyde

revelation...hallelujah!

this thread is a revelation... we don't have a true PG!
hallelujah, thanks for pointing that out! can't believe
there haven't been 7000 threads saying the same thing!
genius!

oh wait...

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I think he made this Thread because you have moron's who make a new thread after every lose stating the same exact shit. It helps if you search through a page or two and just add to someone else topic. Maybe its just me idk but I thought that is how a forum works.

To make a long story short for people who don't read stop making bullshit trade threads we have who we have until the GM makes a deal.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Ekhm, "in Baron we trust". There is a lot of pressure on him, but if he can carry this team NY will welcome him like Jesus passing the gates of Jerusalem.

There's not as much pressure on him to perform, as there is pressure on his back. Pessimism on my behalf, but to consider an injured player - who hasn't played in 7~8 months, nonetheless - a veritable savior for a team struggling as badly as this one, is a little insane.

CA7

Scoring Champ
All we need is a guy who can set up Melo better and run the pick n roll with STAT we're fine.

You cant run the pick n roll with STAT and Melo because teams will immediately zone up because they're too close to eachother when we do do it, guys stand still and dont react to the defense

mafra

Legend
After losing to DEN, Knicks are 6-10.

After losing to DEN last year, Knicks were 3-8 (having lost to MIN, GSW, MIL, PHI).

Things will improve.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I made this thread mostly because I'm tired of the knee-jerk "TRADE MELO" reactions that I'm seeing EVERYWHERE.

Michael Kay talked about it on his radio show, users here have talked about trading players...it's stupid. It's an assertion predicated off of a lack of information.

KingofNy

Starter
I made this thread mostly because I'm tired of the knee-jerk "TRADE MELO" reactions that I'm seeing EVERYWHERE.

Michael Kay talked about it on his radio show, users here have talked about trading players...it's stupid. It's an assertion predicated off of a lack of information.

I agree... These trade threads are redonkulous!