[NYPost] HOU 'CAUTIOUS' ABOUT RETURN

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Houston used the word "cautious" five times yesterday after he made an appearance at PS 28 in Harlem, conducting a basketball clinic for Community League of the Heights with state Assemblyman Adriano Espaillat.

"I can probably play now," Houston said after doing jumping jacks with the kids. "I felt worse like this and played. If this were the playoffs, 100 percent I'd be out there. But I don't want to go through what I went through. I want to be very cautious."

The Knicks may not be able to wait for Houston, whose last game was six months ago, March 26 against Toronto when his knees became too sore. Jamal Crawford was Isiah Thomas' marquee offseason addition and he'll be ready for day one, ready to take Houston's starting shooting guard slot.

Asked if he's worried about losing his starting job, Houston said, "Not at all. I believe once I get healthy, it doesn't matter what they decide to do. Because I'm going to be strong and healthy."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/29422.htm

rady

Administrator
Staff member
and a similar article in Daily News: Houston problems

Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford are both featured in television commercials for Knicks season tickets while Allan Houston, the longest tenured and most accomplished of the three guards, is conspicuously missing from the set.
Conspiracy theorists may recall that both Patrick Ewing and Latrell Sprewell fell victim to similar marketing oversights and were traded the following year.

Houston's situation is somewhat different. For one, his contract makes him next to impossible to trade. Moreover, the Knicks are in no position to build a promotional campaign around an injured player who admitted he may not be playing.

Houston, who has not played basketball since March26, declared his aching knees stronger yesterday but the veteran shooting guard could not guarantee he would be in uniform when the Knicks open their season Nov. 3 in Minnesota.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/237088p-203546c.html

and in NY Times: Knicks' Houston Proceeding With Caution

Allan Houston could have gone the bravado route, proclaimed himself fit and guaranteed a full 82-game season for his much-scrutinized knees. For an antsy Knicks fan base, and a hopeful front office, those would have been welcome assurances.

But Houston tried that approach once - choosing aggression instead of prudence - and the result was the most painful and disappointing season of his career. It is a course he would rather not travel again.

So when he sat down with reporters yesterday for the first time in two months, after a summer spent dutifully reconditioning his body, Houston let the optimism flow but tempered his bright smile with words of caution.

Indeed, he invoked the word cautious six times in 15 minutes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/30/sports/basketball/30knicks.html?oref=login

NJ.com: Houston takes time to rehabilitate knee

Newsday: Houston takes it slow

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
im telliing you know without houston i dont think were going to the nba finals, and i cant stand the pessimism or even the way some people underrate him hes been to a dunk contest hes been to an all-star game hes a top shooter in the league, and he will have one of the greatest impacts of any player on the knicks this season i beleive.