Replacing Jefferies defense with Amar'e's

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I know I'm concerned for the team and for Tyson Chandler's well being as STAT returns to the line up.

What are our thoughts here, gentlemen?

Could be a major disruption, or a complete turnaround.

iSaYughh

Starter
Checked your post about this in the other thread; was spot-on. This might get long, but....

STATisticals generally shows the defensive awareness and effort that is so base, we may as well have Nancy Reagan out there guarding the Kevin Love's of the world.

His rebounding is about as spotty as it gets, too.

However, let's note that before his leave, and despite the general disorder of the team, he actually was showing legitimate signs of improvement as a basketball player (vs the moniker of Amare The Offensive Weapon).

I fear that in this golden age of the NBA, even the excellence Amare could bestow to us from an offensive standpoint, isn't enough to make us enough of a world-beater; in light of the crimes he commits during crunch-time rebounding, defensive, and general decision making situations.

It's basically the antithesis of the type of play that won us last night's game -- from Chandler, right down to even Billy Walker making sound rebounding decisions and defensive switches.

It shames the entire team, and demotes our entire quality of play, when you have someone like Amare stinking it up so inexplicably and so horribly in big spots. Not too different than having someone like Toney D running our point is just a farce, and it's tough to breed a legitimate team when your gene pool is so polluted, in that sense.

Here's the thing: the NBA is lined with supremely talented all-stars, who were pretty soft and played shoddy D, only to get their shit together when the situation was primed and pressurized enough. See: Paul Pierce, Pau Gasol.

Unfortunately, those players more closely resembles the defensive foibles of Melo. Steve Nashed D's up opposing teams' front courts as well as Amare on many nights when they played together.

But Amare just rebounds and boxes, at least late in games, I think we'll be fine, because of the offensive boost we'll receive, and the superior flow that will result: in an offense as fast and well-oiled as I expect ours to now become, we should be able to dictate the overall flow of the game, and put opposing teams into uncomfortable situations where they won't be able to kick back and exploit Amare like some mastermind pedophile at a Toddlers & Tieras competition.

Additionally, the superior tempo and offense -- naturally suited for Amare -- should help his peripheral defensive impact (blocks, steals), and give him the comfort to at least have a shot at figuring his shit out when it comes to applying himself to the defensive -- and offensive -- flow of the game.

Amare just can not disgrace and shame himself, and the team, like he has. I believe he simply needs to exhibit a pretty basic commitment to making plays for rebounds, jumping, and boxing out.

Also, as good as Chandler is, he is good enough to be there and mitigate (to a degree) the moments were Amare really tards it up.

Finally, Melo's superior rebounding will help -- and what I think will be a great hunger to bring up his D, if not to simply give him a direct contrast to Amare from an ego and legacy standpoint.

You nailed it though: he must be called out, mercilessly. He can't be treated like a mentally handicapped 10th grader in a special ed P.E. class. D'antoni called out Melo, plainly but powerfully, on his commitment and understanding of "spacing". The same needs to be done for Amare and his D.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Amar'e Stoudemire is averaging 18 points and 8 rebounds. He's not elite anymore, but he's still got something left in the tank.

I feel bad for Stoudemire, because I know the fans are going to attack him once the Knicks start losing.

It's kind of like when Marbury was playing with Eddy Curry, Channing Frye, and Quentin Richardson, and yet everyone blamed him for not winning games.

With Antoni as coach, and with a run and gun system, this team cannot win on a consistent level. That has nothing to do with Stoudemire or Melo.

skisloper

Starter
The only knock will come is the if there is a lack of effort.....
Amare cannot move out of the way...either draw an offensive or commit a hard foul.....NO EXCUSES for easy lay-ups.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
As a player, Amare'e being STAT: THE OFFENSE is fine with me, because as iSaYughh points out, his teammates ('Melo and Chandler) are there to cover for him. And when he switches out, he's replaced by his Bizzaro-twin Jeffries that throws opponents for a loop..

As a showboat carrying a $20M salary, that's just inexcusable. People pay to watch a show, not to watch someone laze about. STAT is fit, he is athletic... I mean, he at least jumps for the ball now and then. But it is a little disgusting that, despite that athleticism, I can almost compare him to Eddy Curry.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
As a player, Amare'e being STAT: THE OFFENSE is fine with me, because as iSaYughh points out, his teammates ('Melo and Chandler) are there to cover for him. And when he switches out, he's replaced by his Bizzaro-twin Jeffries that throws opponents for a loop..

As a showboat carrying a $20M salary, that's just inexcusable. People pay to watch a show, not to watch someone laze about. STAT is fit, he is athletic... I mean, he at least jumps for the ball now and then. But it is a little disgusting that, despite that athleticism, I can almost compare him to Eddy Curry.

Your crazy, there is no way you can compare Amare to Eddy. Don't start with that bullsh*t.

Have all of you forgotten what he was doing last season when he had a real point guard? He is going to tear sh*t up offensively with Lin. How many layups has Jeffries missed that we created for him by Lin? Look I love me some Jeffries but he just can't score that well. Amare will finish. Amare will beast.

Enough with this bullsh*t that he's no star anymore.

I agree with what Isayugh was saying about STAT's defense, but make no mistake he is going to tear a hole in opposing forwards. Once his midrange shot is back on par he is going to be unstoppable.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Amar'e Stoudemire is averaging 18 points and 8 rebounds. He's not elite anymore, but he's still got something left in the tank.

How can you say he's not elite anymore you can't base that kind of statement on 30 games see how he plays out the rest of the season and even next season.

I believe with a few weeks of playing with Lin STAT will be back to normal, if he's emotionally stable from his brothers death.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Checked your post about this in the other thread; was spot-on. This might get long, but....

STATisticals generally shows the defensive awareness and effort that is so base, we may as well have Nancy Reagan out there guarding the Kevin Love's of the world.

His rebounding is about as spotty as it gets, too.

However, let's note that before his leave, and despite the general disorder of the team, he actually was showing legitimate signs of improvement as a basketball player (vs the moniker of Amare The Offensive Weapon).

I fear that in this golden age of the NBA, even the excellence Amare could bestow to us from an offensive standpoint, isn't enough to make us enough of a world-beater; in light of the crimes he commits during crunch-time rebounding, defensive, and general decision making situations.

It's basically the antithesis of the type of play that won us last night's game -- from Chandler, right down to even Billy Walker making sound rebounding decisions and defensive switches.

It shames the entire team, and demotes our entire quality of play, when you have someone like Amare stinking it up so inexplicably and so horribly in big spots. Not too different than having someone like Toney D running our point is just a farce, and it's tough to breed a legitimate team when your gene pool is so polluted, in that sense.

Here's the thing: the NBA is lined with supremely talented all-stars, who were pretty soft and played shoddy D, only to get their shit together when the situation was primed and pressurized enough. See: Paul Pierce, Pau Gasol.

Unfortunately, those players more closely resembles the defensive foibles of Melo. Steve Nashed D's up opposing teams' front courts as well as Amare on many nights when they played together.

But Amare just rebounds and boxes, at least late in games, I think we'll be fine, because of the offensive boost we'll receive, and the superior flow that will result: in an offense as fast and well-oiled as I expect ours to now become, we should be able to dictate the overall flow of the game, and put opposing teams into uncomfortable situations where they won't be able to kick back and exploit Amare like some mastermind pedophile at a Toddlers & Tieras competition.

Additionally, the superior tempo and offense -- naturally suited for Amare -- should help his peripheral defensive impact (blocks, steals), and give him the comfort to at least have a shot at figuring his shit out when it comes to applying himself to the defensive -- and offensive -- flow of the game.

Amare just can not disgrace and shame himself, and the team, like he has. I believe he simply needs to exhibit a pretty basic commitment to making plays for rebounds, jumping, and boxing out.

Also, as good as Chandler is, he is good enough to be there and mitigate (to a degree) the moments were Amare really tards it up.

Finally, Melo's superior rebounding will help -- and what I think will be a great hunger to bring up his D, if not to simply give him a direct contrast to Amare from an ego and legacy standpoint.

You nailed it though: he must be called out, mercilessly. He can't be treated like a mentally handicapped 10th grader in a special ed P.E. class. D'antoni called out Melo, plainly but powerfully, on his commitment and understanding of "spacing". The same needs to be done for Amare and his D.

ItNutshell06.jpg

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
How can you say he's not elite anymore you can't base that kind of statement on 30 games see how he plays out the rest of the season and even next season.

I believe with a few weeks of playing with Lin STAT will be back to normal, if he's emotionally stable from his brothers death.

18 points and 8 rebounds and 0 blocks is not elite.

20 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks is elite.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
18 points and 8 rebounds and 0 blocks is not elite.

20 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks is elite.

Did you even bother trying to comprehend my post I acknowledge he's playing bad but to call him not an elite player anymore is way too premature at this point. It's ok if you say he hasn't played at an elite level this year so far I completely agree but you can't right him off after a bad 30 game stretch without a legit PG.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Did you even bother trying to comprehend my post I acknowledge he's playing bad but to call him not an elite player anymore is way too premature at this point. It's ok if you say he hasn't played at an elite level this year so far I completely agree but you can't right him off after a bad 30 game stretch without a legit PG.

I get what you're saying, but Stoudemire lost a lot of his jumping ability, and he's not automatic with the jump shot anymore.

He put on 20 lbs, so maybe that's affecting his game.

Amar'e is a Ferrari with a Honda Civic engine, Jared Jeffries is a Honda Civic with a Ferrari engine :smokin:

Tyson Chandler is the SR 71-Blackbird :thumbsup:

LeFlume

All Star
18/8 or 20/10 who cares? The only numbers that are important are those on the scoreboard. I'm corcerned about our defense. Girafferies & Chandler reminds me of Sheed and Big Ben. The chemistry is there, It just works,,,

well one thing amare can do on defense is add a presence in the paint that jeffries doesnt have,kind of like an intimidating factor if there is any

LeFlume

All Star
The thing with STAT is. He picks up stupid fouls. Many of them on offense. Girafferies can play great D with 4 fouls. STAT can't

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Girafferies & Chandler reminds me of Sheed and Big Ben. The chemistry is there, It just works,,,

You mean Big Ben & Sheed, respectively. :)
(Jeffries is closer to the defensive minded wielder of the 'fro, though I can't think of anyone on the Knicks that even remotely resembles the mystifying 'Sheed.)