Knicks Offensive Geometry

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
too bad these numbers means nothing.

OKCShape-1024x696.png

look at durant post up? who knew lol.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
You need to describe your charts in greater detail.

Yea, I'm an engineer, but I also don't have time to decipher esoteric meanings.

Tell me what this means, what that means, then we can talk.

Bottom line: describe the god-damn charts you cite.

tiger0330

Legend
Dude, this is statistics.

The chart identifies every offensive outcome for the Knicks that had occurred at least 100 times this season. This offensive outcome means both possession type and the specific player who ultimately used that possession.

This chart left out transition possessions and offensive rebounds, who?s frequency may have more to do with opportunity than deliberate design.

The radar graph shows two different pieces of information for each outcome ? the points per possession that outcome netted the Knicks on average, and the total number of times it occurred this season. The orange line represents the points per possession, the blue represents the number of occurrences. (Each vertical segment of the graph represents 100 occurrences)

This chart is great for scouts, who can identify a player's offensive ability, very much like the batting average for MLB. They are helpful when making a trade or plan out Team vs team strategy.

It also gives a great overlook for a coach and identifies a team weaknesses and strengths.
Keep up the good work, posters like you make this a better BBS. Every good bball BBS needs a stats expert like yourself. a capologist and a few lurking coaches and ex-players to explain the game.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Nice work!

Was a bit of a handful at first, and you need to put your subsequent explanation above the graph for clarity.

Having said that, I get it. It's basically the tell tale statistics of what we've been whining about all year.

I'd much prefer to see split graphs detailing the differences between the Knicks throughout the season's 3 separate stages: Pre-Linsanity, or 'the pestilence' let's say - During Linsanity (when D'Antoni ball reigned in the absence of STAT and Melo, albeit against some weaker teams with the exclusion of Dallas and LAL) and the third and final stage being throughout Woodson's interim reign.

Only then would I really be able to analyze with any real sense of certainty, or at least more of a sense of certainty.

Basically, it's water under the bridge. Next season I think that Knick fans here on KO will elude to whatever issue we have and the stats will just be the advocate for that/them. ISO ball can be effective for us, but we all know that it spells doom for our offense far too often.

Woody has his work cut out for him to get this offense working. Defense, on the other hand, should be the focal considering the arsenal we have on the other end.

+1.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
As much as I appreciate Melo, I also agree that our current strategy of isoball with Melo offense is really crappy. Defensive-wise, Woodson has done a good job, but his method of offense is really hurting our team. If we don't fix this, we're not going to reach semifinals next playoffs

LV&C

Benchwarmer
As much as I appreciate Melo, I also agree that our current strategy of isoball with Melo offense is really crappy. Defensive-wise, Woodson has done a good job, but his method of offense is really hurting our team. If we don't fix this, we're not going to reach semifinals next playoffs

I tend to agree. If Woodson do the same thing he did this season, we would be in a worse position next year. But hey, what motivation does this team have to do better? Win or lose, they are guaranteed to have millions of $ already. No need to think or work harder than they have to. Just show up.

Personally, I wouldn't invest emotionally.