lin and fields got ridiculous money thrown at them. let em walk.

erivera

Benchwarmer
fields has been overrated by people for a couple years and lin is still a question mark. i also find it funny how more established veterans are taking less money to go to miami yet two young players for the knicks can't suck up some pride to come back here. jesus

not lins fault. blame it on knicks mismanagement. they should have offered lin a contract from the start. say they offer a 3 year contract for 5 mil per year for first 2 years and 10 mil in the third year, I'm sure lin would have signed that right away and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. all they had to do was say to lin, that is the max we can offer you without triggering the lux tax and is a very generous offer for someone who hasn't even played for a full season yet. plus the tons of big endorsement deals for lin for staying in the biggest media market. even if all lin cared about was the money, he would be an idiot not to take the offer. its a win- win offer for lin and the knicks and makes things simple, it shows that the knicks respect and value him and are serious about keeping him and saves them money because they can offer a contract that doesn't trigger the lux tax. letting him go elsewhere to look for contract just really complicates and screws things up for the knicks, with a large risk of putting the team in lux tax hell, and that is what happened. they let another team control the outcome and are paying for it. offering a contract off the bat would make it clear that the knicks respects and value lin, and are serious about him. and not doing so could be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. really, really stupid move!

Last edited:

fakeknicksfan

Benchwarmer
not lins fault. blame it on knicks mismanagement. they should have offered lin a contract from the start. say they offer a 3 year contract for 5 mil per year for first 2 years and 10 mil in the third year, I'm sure lin would have signed that right away and we wouldn't be in this mess right now. all they had to do was say to lin, that is the max we can offer you without triggering the lux tax and is a very generous offer for someone who hasn't even played for a full season yet. plus the tons of big endorsement deals for lin for staying in the biggest media market. even if all lin cared about was the money, he would be an idiot not to take the offer. its a win- win offer for lin and the knicks and makes things simple, it shows that the knicks respect and value him and are serious about keeping him and saves them money because they can offer a contract that doesn't trigger the lux tax. letting him go elsewhere to look for contract just really complicates and screws things up for the knicks, with a large risk of putting the team in lux tax hell, and that is what happened. they let another team control the outcome and are paying for it. offering a contract off the bat would make it clear that the knicks respects and value lin, and are serious about him. and not doing so could be interpreted as a sign of disrespect. really, really stupid move!

That's what lin said on the phone. Really really stupid move.

finestrg

Rotation player

Good points. You make a lot of sense here. Bottom line is that both sides definitely could've handled this whole thing a lot better -- Lin & the Knicks. And who really suffers in the end -- US, the fans, like always. We're all gonna get ****ed outta rooting for and cheering on one of the best young players to hit broadway since Pat Ewing maybe...I mean the way this guy was playing, the overall impact he had, how young he is, etc., it was like we stumbled upon a top 5 pick here outta nowhere!!!! Think about that -- for a team like us, missing draft picks all over the place now and even if we do have one coming up, it'll likely be in the 20s somewhere...This guy was like a high lottery pick just dropped right outta the sky right on top of the Garden, the way he played..Now it looks like it's all about to go up in smoke after only 25 games...The whole thing makes me sick how this played out. I mean when exactly did the ****ing communication break down between Lin and the Knicks? That's what I want to know. And why did it break down? And you're right -- why couldn't the Knicks just have made an initial offer, ANY ****ING OFFER, possibly even tipping their hand and giving him their best offer right off the bat just like you said (here's what we can offer you Jeremy w/o incurring lux. tax and explaining to him directly how breaching into the lux. tax is not good business for them or any other NBA team for that matter). Why let another team dictate our offer, our terms???? Totally agree with that. I wasn't feeling that right from the beginning...This is SAD. Very sad. NY fans deserve to see what Linsanity could've ultimately became...He was our guy, dammit!!! Jesus, I could vomit thinking about this ****!!!

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
fields has been overrated by people for a couple years and lin is still a question mark. i also find it funny how more established veterans are taking less money to go to miami yet two young players for the knicks can't suck up some pride to come back here. jesus

im upset by losing Lin but if felton can be what he was last time in NY then it wont be a huge loss and we are paying only 3+ mil in year as supposed to 14 mil

plus as old as our bench is...we have a good bench

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Knicks played it right by not offering lin a offer sheet first, it's a chess game, if they don't care about the money and sign lin anyway, the felton move was GENIUS...let's see what happens. I would be much happier if we kept him as this would be the best team i have seen the knicks with since Ewing, LJ, starks and Houston and i'm not even counting Camby, Shump, Novak and JR. I'm not bitching until I see what happens. If they match, I would consider this a championship team and they can still add Grant Hill. If they don't sign Lin, they can run with Kidd, Felton and Prigioni, but I honestly don't know where we would end up due to Kidds age, Felton being out of shape (TEMPORARY) and me never personally seeing Prigioni play although I'm sure he is a great point. I would rather go big now than wonder what will happen in the end...

Wargames

Starter
I just want to reiterate that if they thought there wasn't a chance they were going to keep Lin. Why Sign Kidd when that money could of gone to Foye or Shannon Brown or somebody who could at least be traded for something else later on? Now the organization has to deal with Kidd F*cking up again now that he has returned to the tri-state area.... and we're going to the season in the same boat we we're in last year with 1 PG and a bunch of decaying players for depth when the only argument to get Kidd was he would at least improve Lin's development.

We went from a B- offseason to a C- offseason and theres no reason why the knicks can't be *******s sign Lin and trade him next offseason along with say Kidds contract for picks or something.... The FO caught feelings and emotions are obviously running high. Now we're here trying to justify their moves logically....

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I think Melo should keep his mouth shut because if you ask a lot of smart hoops fans, his maximum contract is the truly ridiculous one.

onex0is0

Benchwarmer
I think Melo should keep his mouth shut because if you ask a lot of smart hoops fans, his maximum contract is the truly ridiculous one.

Yeah, I agree. That's what I was thinking when he said Lin's offer was a ridiculous one. Yours too Camel. Right back at ya.

Anyways, I think if anyone, yes that means YOU also, was in Fields and Lin's shoes, you would do the same too, and sign the offer sheet. You be stupid not to. There's a possibility you might not be that great or you might not get another big contract offer like this again, so you gotta look out after Number One.

And if you bring up loyalty and pride and for the city and fans BS, I would laugh in your face. (Off the record) and if I was the GM of the Knicks, and you DIDN'T sign that Raptors or Rockets offer sheet, I probably call you an idiot.

Though I like Lin to be a Knicks next year, I understand it's all business.

Last edited:

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Of course I would, I don't think most people blame Lin completely for this. I can understand why he would sign with Houston. I can't understand why the Knicks wouldn't match the offer. Also **** Houston. I hope they never get to the playoffs for the next 3 decades.

2012 without Lin

If Lin walks, tell me, how excited will you be for the upcoming season? Basically, if the Knicks do the stupid thing and not match, they'll be sucking out the entire air of enthusiasm for next season, and the Russian dude owner of the Nets will be laughing as the Knicks basically cede the excitement factor in NYC over professional basketball to the Brooklyn Nets.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Yeah, I agree. That's what I was thinking when he said Lin's offer was a ridiculous one. Yours too Camel. Right back at ya.

Anyways, I think if anyone, yes that means YOU also, was in Fields and Lin's shoes, you would do the same too, and sign the offer sheet. You be stupid not to. There's a possibility you might not be that great or you might not get another big contract offer like this again, so you gotta look out after Number One.

And if you bring up loyalty and pride and for the city and fans BS, I would laugh in your face. (Off the record) and if I was the GM of the Knicks, and you DIDN'T sign that Raptors or Rockets offer sheet, I probably call you an idiot.

Though I like Lin to be a Knicks next year, I understand it's all business.
Isnt that cute Blobman, you've got a friend in your unintelligent world you live in.

onex0is0

Benchwarmer
Sorry to be out of the mix, and I admit I don't come here that often or read all the threads,...

but what's the deal with blobman? Just curious...

LeFlume

All Star
Of course I would, I don't think most people blame Lin completely for this. I can understand why he would sign with Houston. I can't understand why the Knicks wouldn't match the offer. Also **** Houston. I hope they never get to the playoffs for the next 3 decades.

They won't. A D-league PG won't get it done.. EFF Lin :thumbsup:

erivera

Benchwarmer

so where was indiana when portland offered hibbert that money? where was new orleans with eric gordon? where was portland with nicholas batum? the knicks aren't the first team to let someone look and then match. this isn't the knicks fault in my opinion. i don't think anyone was gonna offer that money. also jeremy lin played in 35 games last year in a 66 game schedule. of those 35, we only got a real good look at him in probably 25. if we offered a contract like that to a random player not named jeremy lin a lot of you would be saying how crazy this management is. jeremy lin is a very good player, but stop acting like it's the end of the world.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks played it right by not offering lin a offer sheet first, it's a chess game, if they don't care about the money and sign lin anyway, the felton move was GENIUS...let's see what happens. I would be much happier if we kept him as this would be the best team i have seen the knicks with since Ewing, LJ, starks and Houston and i'm not even counting Camby, Shump, Novak and JR. I'm not bitching until I see what happens. If they match, I would consider this a championship team and they can still add Grant Hill. If they don't sign Lin, they can run with Kidd, Felton and Prigioni, but I honestly don't know where we would end up due to Kidds age, Felton being out of shape (TEMPORARY) and me never personally seeing Prigioni play although I'm sure he is a great point. I would rather go big now than wonder what will happen in the end...

I stop reading after the first sentence .. Grunwald has proven he is
as clueless on NBA players worth n value as our past 3 dum-dum GMs.
Grunwald did not understand what winning Lin & Novak Birds rights meant.
All Grunwald had to do was make a media statement of "now I could work on
resigning all 3 of the Knicks restricted FA" on June 29th. when Arbitration
made the final decision on the appeal of players Birds Rights.

Grunwald made a media comment of letting our restricted FA test their
worth on the FA market....WHAT!!!! Do u think OKC is going to let
Durant/Westbrook/Harden test the FA market to find their worth???

The Houston Rockets made billions off of Yao .. of course they were going
to be the first team to give Lin an offer-sheet.
Its dum-dum GMs like Mchale & Grunwald being the reason why the CBA
lockout last so long into a season.

REALHEAT

Benchwarmer
Listen, any knick fan shouldn't gloat over the lost of Lin and sure as hell over the lost of landry. Carmelo is 100% right, that contract Houston offered Lin is ridiculous and is blasphemous. Probably the best thing the knicks could have done and from wht I am hearing will do it not matching neither offers. Yes Lin brings good marketing value to NYK and his story is inspiring but his on court performance is not all that and the knicks shouldn't jeopardize the little money they have on him. Plus I like the move of you guys getting Raymond again anyways.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The difference here is that the Knicks haven't matched.

If the Knicks really wanted to keep him, they would have offered him a deal first. They wanted Steve Nash, so they focused on that, and while the Nash stuff was going on, Houston made a play and got Lin's attention.

Kiyaman

Legend
so where was indiana when portland offered hibbert that money? where was new orleans with eric gordon? where was portland with nicholas batum? the knicks aren't the first team to let someone look and then match. this isn't the knicks fault in my opinion. i don't think anyone was gonna offer that money. also jeremy lin played in 35 games last year in a 66 game schedule. of those 35, we only got a real good look at him in probably 25. if we offered a contract like that to a random player not named jeremy lin a lot of you would be saying how crazy this management is. jeremy lin is a very good player, but stop acting like it's the end of the world.

Larry Bird quit on the Indiana Pacers, and Dum-Dum Walsh is in his place.
Did the league finalize the sell on the New Orleans Hornets? its the interim GM that match the offer.
Portland coach and GM quit after one season of Felton in Portland.
must I go on ........