Is Melo done?

metrocard

Legend
Carmelo Anthony has missed four of the past six games and is questionable to play Sunday, and one orthopedic surgeon who has not examined Anthony speculated that the New York Knicks' forward has either a partially torn meniscus or an arthritic knee.

Anthony had his knee drained in New York after the Knicks' loss to the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday. Having fluid in the back of the knee is rarely found in a patient "with a 100 percent normal knee," according to the surgeon.

?It means there is something going on with the knee,? the doctor added. ?The question is, where did the fluid come from? What is the source of the fluid? Something inside the knee produces that fluid, so what is going to stop the fluid from coming back.?

Source: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...o-Anthony-Has-Torn-Meniscus-Or-Arthritic-Knee

metrocard

Legend
This sucks. I feel like an idiot feeling so confident in November/December. I thought this was the team we needed. God doesn't like the Knicks...

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ok...the key is the part that says "a surgeon who has not examined Anthony says..."

Melo says he has no pain just stiffness...we should all know from watching Allan Houston that arthritic knees hurt like hell and is visible...so that is likely out (we hope!)

A torn meniscus is a little bit more serious than an ankle sprain...it can be corrected without surgery and can treated with a Anti Inflamatory or even an over the counter like Advil!!! I know because I have done this to my right knee after having ACL and Micro fracture surgery and compared to an ACL injury this is a walk in the park...I did elect to have surgery and did it on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday and working out again on the following Monday

Look Im no Ortho (just seen my share of them!) but this article sounds like they are playing it up a bit

Best thing is to rest Melo up for another week...assuming that all it is is a torn Meniscus

Red

TYPE-A
Ok...the key is the part that says "a surgeon who has not examined Anthony says..."

Melo says he has no pain just stiffness...we should all know from watching Allan Houston that arthritic knees hurt like hell and is visible...so that is likely out (we hope!)

A torn meniscus is a little bit more serious than an ankle sprain...it can be corrected without surgery and can treated with a Anti Inflamatory or even an over the counter like Advil!!! I know because I have done this to my right knee after having ACL and Micro fracture surgery and compared to an ACL injury this is a walk in the park...I did elect to have surgery and did it on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday and working out again on the following Monday

Look Im no Ortho (just seen my share of them!) but this article sounds like they are playing it up a bit

Best thing is to rest Melo up for another week...assuming that all it is is a torn Meniscus

Knicks' docs did say there is no serious structural damage... for whatever thats worth.

I've had surgery also on my knee and it is my opinion that after a major surgery (open as opposed to arthroscopic) 99% of patients are never the same and thats taking rehab and strengthening into account.

I feel the same about backs. For every Bernard King, who took two years to get back up to near speed, there are millions of Shumps, Houstons, Roys, Roses, Hixons & Thomases (NY Giants) etc...

There is a mental aspect, but physically unless its preemptive like Tommy John surgery, you can't rely on torn ligaments and tendons; they are just not the same after compromised. Yeah you can strengthen the muscles around and add support to the area, but muscles grow, ligaments don't.

And then there's the issue of scar tissue. On your micr-fracture surgery: unless you are constantly jumping and landing for a living, you probably could regain comfort after a procedure and rehab; these dudes have to jump and land for living thus it seems this type of surgery for the NBA is a temporary solution and thats if it works.

Rob Low

Rotation player
SALT LAKE CITY – Carmelo Anthony ran up and down the court, took jumpers and showed improvement in his lateral movement during the Knicks’ shoot-around Monday at the EnergySolutions Arena. Then, for the first time in nearly a week, he spoke to reporters and explained how he felt after having fluid drained from his sore right knee Friday.Anthony will not play Monday night against the Utah Jazz, the final game of the Knick’s five-game western road trip. So far, the Knicks are 0-4 on the trip. The team’s plan is that by resting Anthony on Monday, he will be able to get more strength in his right leg.
Anthony said that he felt no discomfort in his knee and that he should be able to play Wednesday against the Orlando Magic at Madison Square Garden.
“I feel better,” Anthony told reporters. “I feel much better.”
Anthony also acknowledged that doctors in New York told him the fluid that had developed in the back of the knee was most likely caused by a slight hamstring pull. Anthony was pleased to know his injury did not create structural damage.
“Now it’s just a matter of getting that pop back, that power back,” he told reporters. He added, “My knee feels good, my body feels good.”

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes....speaks-about-a-return-to-knicks-on-wednesday/

Kiyaman

Legend
thats why his scoring % went down but knicks became again 0.500 team.

The midseason East Coast teams has been putting tight pressure defense on Melo, which have the Knicks organization screaming injury injury injury to the media. Our trip to Melo's previous team Denver Nuggets made a statement.

The Knicks are going on a back to back vs the 26-42 Toronto Raptors, where ex-Knicks Landry Fields has a personal grudge against Melo. The Knicks are 0-2 vs the Raptors this season, where Landry Fields held Melo to a season low 5-24 for 12 points in a game.
We have to hope the Raptors put their new addition Rudy Gay to defend Melo in this back to back series.
Or else we will be reading a new injury report on Melo if Landry Fields defend Melo for 24 minutes again.