Melo Back To Knicks

Broadway

All Star
He should have agreed a while ago to negotiate whatever deal he signs as it would have afforded a better opportunity in which to deal with free agents. Of course Melo also wanted to be and remain a relevant figure in the league, so he drug it to the full out extent.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo dwelling in the shadow of King Lebron again. Lebron surprising by leaving the glamour of Miami and a 5 yr max deal to go home for less money, Melo making all those statements about winning but ultimately staying in NY for the money to the surprise of no one.

Broadway

All Star
Melo dwelling in the shadow of King Lebron again. Lebron surprising by leaving the glamour of Miami and a 5 yr max deal to go home for less money, Melo making all those statements about winning but ultimately staying in NY for the money to the surprise of no one.

1 is a Champion Douchebag

1 is a Loser Douchebag

It's unfortunate to want a douchebag but if you're gonna want to obtain 1, find a way to get the better douchebag.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

Yeah saving the potential $2-3mil in 2015 is going to make all the world of difference going forward. Thanks for your philanthropy and extreme generosity Melo, where would we be without you.

paris401

Starter
no problem with melo taking the $$$$ ... BUT.... don't be talking how much a ring means to ya... BULL$HIT... its the $$$$$...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Melo never left:)...and it's triangle Melo now, not ISO:) But for real if you Melo-haters could think RATIONALLY for a second , this makes sense. Melo is a top five scorer in this league. That can't be argued. That's one piece. Now you can build around that one big piece for the future. Bum azz STAT and Bargs are both off the books this year. Maybe(however unlikely) those bums will realize they are making the MAX and 12 million and actually show up on 2014 and WE are competitive team. Phil/Fish will demand at least that...From there we roll on Chief:)

skisloper

Starter
Melo never left:)...and it's triangle Melo now, not ISO:) But for real if you Melo-haters could think RATIONALLY for a second , this makes sense. Melo is a top five scorer in this league. That can't be argued. That's one piece. Now you can build around that one big piece for the future. Bum azz STAT and Bargs are both off the books this year. Maybe(however unlikely) those bums will realize they are making the MAX and 12 million and actually show up on 2014 and WE are competitive team. Phil/Fish will demand at least that...From there we roll on Chief:)

The point is if melo gets the max or close to it that will make it tough to build. Last 3 nba champs and nobody was paid the max.

Envisioning a future of this franchise without Melo made me realize, it is for the best that he resigns with us even if it doesn't make us a contender. Without Melo, we could enter another period where no one wants to play in NY and just like most NYC franchises, we would spend money because we have to spend money, but on overpaying available second or third tier players, eating up cap space without ever getting better. At least with Melo in town, we have a chance to draw another, preferably younger, star who can form a new backbone for this team. Seriously, ask yourself, regardless of all our cap space, who would want to sign with us next offseason when the best players we have under contract would be Calderon and THJ. At least with Melo still around, we stay relevant. Chicago wanted Melo very badly and that means they think you can win with him with the right surrounding cast. Now, it's just a matter of PJ doing his best with the available options over the next year. Let's go Knicks!

CoolClyde

with Melo signing (and we still don't know all the contractual stipulations), Phil is free to continue making moves to improve team. PJ could still move Amar'e and/or Bargnani, freeing up space for more moves/trades, and if it doesn't happen this season, both those bozos are gone next year, or signed for le$$ if they work out, freeing up megaspace for another star to gel with the Mel. not only that, but as LeBron has figured out by signing a 2-year deal with a 1-year opt-out with Cleveland, the cap is going to go up within the next couple years, and more money will be available to sign players at higher salaries. I think this was a no-brainer, getting one of the best scorers in the league under the Knicks belt for Phil's upcoming NYK reign, to be able to work with and mold Melo as PJ did with MJ and Kobe so he becomes a complete player in a team (triangle) offense, that is predicated on a strong team defense. I, for one, have faith in Phil to do the right thing when it comes to Melo, today is a good day. and the Knicks won again! yeehah!

Broadway

All Star
He said winning was important, didn't want to wait a year to win, took forever to make up his mind, said he would take a paycut if it would help us win, Phil made really no major roster additions this off-season.....so he takes pretty much all the money off the table.

That's why Melo has only accomplished this throughout his career

1rdjmg.jpg

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Envisioning a future of this franchise without Melo made me realize, it is for the best that he resigns with us even if it doesn't make us a contender. Without Melo, we could enter another period where no one wants to play in NY and just like most NYC franchises, we would spend money because we have to spend money, but on overpaying available second or third tier players, eating up cap space without ever getting better. At least with Melo in town, we have a chance to draw another, preferably younger, star who can form a new backbone for this team. Seriously, ask yourself, regardless of all our cap space, who would want to sign with us next offseason when the best players we have under contract would be Calderon and THJ. At least with Melo still around, we stay relevant. Chicago wanted Melo very badly and that means they think you can win with him with the right surrounding cast. Now, it's just a matter of PJ doing his best with the available options over the next year. Let's go Knicks!
I agree with some of this, but what about building through the draft in the worst case scenario?

Last season was INCREDIBLY disappointing, that makes me question this contract, then again, Woodson's coaching was that extraordinarily abysmal. Think about it, no matter how flawed you think Melo is, he would have at LEAST taken the Knicks to the Playoffs if the coach had any sense.

I'm intrigued by the new leadership and system for not only Melo, for Stoudemire, the young guys, and rest of the team.

I don't like the contract, but there WILL be a lot cap space after next season.

petescud

Starter
I think Phil is going to trade Melo within 2 years, especially if he disrupts of the Triangle....Hey if he signed elsewhere, we would had gotten nothing in return....so....him signing is a win for us imo...could return some nice players for him

I agree with some of this, but what about building through the draft in the worst case scenario?

Last season was INCREDIBLY disappointing, that makes me question this contract, then again, Woodson's coaching was that extraordinarily abysmal. Think about it, no matter how flawed you think Melo is, he would have at LEAST taken the Knicks to the Playoffs if the coach had any sense.

I'm intrigued by the new leadership and system for not only Melo, for Stoudemire, the young guys, and rest of the team.

I don't like the contract, but there WILL be a lot cap space after next season.

I agree, building through the draft is always a preferred option, but I don't think we will ever do it again here in NYC. We are too impatient a franchise. The idea of us keeping first round picks and then allowing our team to be terrible enough to get several lottery picks, a la Cleveland who now has had four #1 overall picks in around a decade or OKC, who drafted repeatedly in the lottery to go from an awful team to a contender, just doesn't seem plausible in NYC because of our impatience. At best, we'd allow our team to tank into the lottery maybe one season and then it becomes a roll of the dice to get a top 2 or 3 pick to get a franchise changer. It is absurd that we were bad so often prior to Amare signing in 2010, were able to develop a couple young, non-lottery caliber guys, and then wiped the deck clean of those guys in the Melo trade. Who knows what this franchise would even do with a lottery pick that looks like a future star? Probably trade him for a 30 year-old max contract guy.

Broadway

All Star
I think Phil is going to trade Melo within 2 years, especially if he disrupts of the Triangle....Hey if he signed elsewhere, we would had gotten nothing in return....so....him signing is a win for us imo...could return some nice players for him

Nope that's not gonna produce the returns desired. Melo is on his second tour of duty here. His first has been a failure.

If Phil has to trade him because he's disrupting the Triangle it will be further evidence Melo is too difficult a player to deal with and build with, therefore it would produce diminishing returns....a player out of his prime and a ballooning salary to boot. He's here for the duration of this albatross contract sink or sink.

His trade value was probably at an Apex this summer whatever it was....but see we'll never know because unlike Melo

Phil didn't choose to explore all his options. Melo decided to explore all of his and came to the conclusion money-city ownership fanfare first. Phil had the same right to counter explore.

We were in a position of strength once we established Melo was about getting paid. If Phil wouldn't have shown his hand early on in negotiations contract offer....he could have had preliminary talks with Houston/Dallas/Bulls with various S&T scenarios hence establishing Melo's trade value. If Melo and his camp gets pissed with this approach, you roll with it....leverage his bluff passing on the a potential Max contract.

Last edited:

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Does anyone else think that it was not Phil but our genious owner Dolan who gave Melo this nonsense contract?
After watching Melos game here for a few years, i am convinced that he is not a player you can build around, his bball iq is very low IMO, and there is no way, any system or any coach can change his selfish approach, with no sense or understanding of a team concept. I think this is a big mistake, and we are going to be stuck with this monster untradable contract for a long time. Wait a minute, dont we have one already? Stat is still here, isnt he?

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy⑧s;285330 said:
You're a complete and utter ****, and I'm concerned about my agreeing with you

Knicks are DOOMED!
Melo traveled around the league to find no takers "hint-hint-hint"

It was obvious 90% of Knicks players didnt like playing along with Melo the past three seasons.
How many new Knicks players will be added in the upcoming season???