Will JR Smith be traded from the Knicks in November?

Kiyaman

Legend
NEW YORK (AP) New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith has been suspended one game by the NBA for hitting Washington's Glen Rice Jr. in the groin.

Smith will miss the Knicks' game in Detroit on Wednesday night.
Smith was dribbling with his right hand when he hit Rice with his left with 5:45 remaining in the Knicks' 98-83 loss on Tuesday night.

What will the verdict be on JRsmith???

tiger0330

Legend
I thought that was a BS call by the NBA to suspend JR for that incident with Rice. The incident with Rice won't be the reason for trading JR but I think they will eventually trade him and reportedly tried to do a deal with the Pacers for of all people Chris Copeland. I hope we can get more than a Copeland back for JR.

paris401

Starter
I thought that was a BS call by the NBA to suspend JR for that incident with Rice. The incident with Rice won't be the reason for trading JR but I think they will eventually trade him and reportedly tried to do a deal with the Pacers for of all people Chris Copeland. I hope we can get more than a Copeland back for JR.

teams are lining up at phil's door wanting to do this trade... espec since JR has a players option for next season at 6.4m... he's worth 2 or 3x that salary...

tiger0330

Legend
I see JR is lodging an appeal with the union to get his money back for that 1 game suspension. He's done some bonehead things in the past but he's right on this one.

Paul1355

All Star
NEW YORK (AP) New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith has been suspended one game by the NBA for hitting Washington's Glen Rice Jr. in the groin.

Smith will miss the Knicks' game in Detroit on Wednesday night.
Smith was dribbling with his right hand when he hit Rice with his left with 5:45 remaining in the Knicks' 98-83 loss on Tuesday night.

What will the verdict be on JRsmith???
Will def be traded this year. He is part of the culture problem that Jackson always addresses. Jr will be traded either December or at trade deadline. The only thing keeping him on this team was his past success, amazing talent, and hope that he gets his stuff together...he is still JR brick

tiger0330

Legend
Not that it matters but I think JR can be traded today, Dec. 15 is the day FAs signed this year can be traded if it's later than 3 months after their signing this summer. He was signed last year so Dec. 15 doesn't apply to him.

Don't get your hopes up about trading him, he doesn't have a cap friendly contract with his player option next year and he's playing like crap making his trade value near zero imo. PJ has already proven he's no miracle worker and that's what it's going to take to get someone to take JR. Only way you trade him is with a draft pick which the Knicks have few of, take in a bad contract or trade him along with TJH who a team might want.

skisloper

Starter
Or you can package another useless player with upside like Hardaway or shump

Shumps upside is this season.....He is displaying nothing new and totally inconsistent.......I love Shump but his potential has been reached........This season was always a wash so take nobody newand if u can trade shump or hardaway for a worse player but same contract then do so and try to get a pick or unload JR.......anyway we unload JR and not take a contract back that adds a year I am up for it.

tiger0330

Legend
Would you trade JR for this guy?

lanceweb19s-2-web.jpg

Supposedly the Hornets are interested in trading Lance Stephenson. He's not having a good 1st year for the Hornets and the team has gotten off to a disappointing start after making strides to make the playoffs last year. Stephenson was supposed to be the piece that took them to the next level but it hasn't worked out so there are rumors he might be traded. He is one of those guys that can't be traded until Dec. 15.

He has a 3yr/27M deal so we would have to package either Shump or TJH or someone else with him.

He's young and showed potential when he was with the Pacers, analysts raved about the guy during the playoffs so I am not sure why he's not playing well so am guessing he's having an off year. What do you think?

paris401

Starter
I'd do it... 1st off you get rid of JR, and 2nd I believe lance has more upside then THJ... yep get phil on the horn... make it happen

Wargames

Starter
Would you trade JR for this guy?

View attachment 564

Supposedly the Hornets are interested in trading Lance Stephenson. He's not having a good 1st year for the Hornets and the team has gotten off to a disappointing start after making strides to make the playoffs last year. Stephenson was supposed to be the piece that took them to the next level but it hasn't worked out so there are rumors he might be traded. He is one of those guys that can't be traded until Dec. 15.

He has a 3yr/27M deal so we would have to package either Shump or TJH or someone else with him.

He's young and showed potential when he was with the Pacers, analysts raved about the guy during the playoffs so I am not sure why he's not playing well so am guessing he's having an off year. What do you think?

I would do it and arguably the hornets could take the knicks trade exceptions (though i think they would try to get hardaway)

He is an above average ball handler at the 2 guard so if the knicks kept calderon and shump the knicks could run line ups of

Calderon and Lance which would allow calderon to play as the shooter just as much (if not more) than the distributor

and

Shump and Lance which would be an above average defensive guard duo. Between them the knicks would be able to hopefully guard the perimeter from guards driving to the hoop and against opposing guards and Swingmen PnR themselves to open 3's.

Lastly Lance excelled as a 6th man which is something the knicks have been missing since JR was 6th man of the year a few seasons ago.

tiger0330

Legend
Lance is only one notch above JR in Hollingers ESPN PER rankings. 25 and 26 among SGs, they're definitely in the market for a scoring wing since last I looked they scored fewer points then the Knicks. I think they would be after Shump rather than TJH, Hardaway is having a miserable year shooting and isn't the defender Shump is. The question for the Knicks is Stephenson a lower tier SG his PER says he is.

Wargames

Starter
Lance is only one notch above JR in Hollingers ESPN PER rankings. 25 and 26 among SGs, they're definitely in the market for a scoring wing since last I looked they scored fewer points then the Knicks. I think they would be after Shump rather than TJH, Hardaway is having a miserable year shooting and isn't the defender Shump is. The question for the Knicks is Stephenson a lower tier SG his PER says he is.

That is the risk the knicks would have to take definitely. I don't know if he worth it if they have to trade shump. Not that shump is some unmovable piece. Its just limits what they could do with lance if they get him. It would always be lance and a shooter in the backcourt. Having Calderon playing off of lance would be a good look. Hardaway would be that exact same look, but minus calderon's ability to handle the ball as well. With Shump, it would give the knicks two defensive guards in the game at the same time. That's exactly what the knicks need to keep opposing guards from breezing through their perimeter defense.

However, arguably I think the issues lance is having right now is he was playing great as a 6th man and the Hornets wanted him to be their star player. The real issue is Charlotte that needed shooters to stretch the floor for Big Al and guys who would buy in to their specific defense built around hiding Big Al. They got Lance who is a ball dominant guard whose got points in a struggle offense. I think he's still good but he isn't a reliable first or second piece on a team. He is an above average role player (6th man) and could work well in a system and he doesn't fit Charlotte's system.

Last edited:
JR for Lance Stephenson? I would love it, if just once, we let someone else go after the "talented but volatile" category of player.

tiger0330

Legend
Oops that's 45 (Stephenson) and 48 (JR) in Hollingers PER rankings. Thats out of 50 SGs, damn near the bottom for that position.

tiger0330

Legend
That is the risk the knicks would have to take definitely. I don't know if he worth it if they have to trade shump. Not that shump is some unmovable piece. Its just limits what they could do with lance if they get him. It would always be lance and a shooter in the backcourt. Having Calderon playing off of lance would be a good look. Hardaway would be that exact same look, but minus calderon's ability to handle the ball as well. With Shump, it would give the knicks two defensive guards in the game at the same time. That's exactly what the knicks need to keep opposing guards from breezing through their perimeter defense.

However, arguably I think the issues lance is having right now is he was playing great as a 6th man and the Hornets wanted him to be their star player. The real issue is Charlotte that needed shooters to stretch the floor for Big Al and guys who would buy in to their specific defense built around hiding Big Al. They got Lance who is a ball dominant guard whose got points in a struggle offense. I think he's still good but he isn't a reliable first or second piece on a team. He is an above average role player (6th man) and could work well in a system and he doesn't fit Charlotte's system.
Nice post. Really glad you, Mafra and Paul1355 are back posting on KOL. Knowledgable fans like the three of you are what make a bball BBS. Rady was saying he has a rebranding plan for the site coming soon, hopefully it attracts more guys like the 3 of you back to KOL.

Wargames

Starter
Nice post. Really glad you, Mafra and Paul1355 are back posting on KOL. Knowledgable fans like the three of you are what make a bball BBS. Rady was saying he has a rebranding plan for the site coming soon, hopefully it attracts more guys like the 3 of you back to KOL.

Hey thanks man. it means a lot

Oops that's 45 (Stephenson) and 48 (JR) in Hollingers PER rankings. Thats out of 50 SGs, damn near the bottom for that position.

Yeah Lance is far from a star player, the reason the trade works is the knicks and charlotte are both bottom of the barrel teams so nobody should try to rob anyone else (hopefully to the point that if it happened the Hornets would take the 3 million in TPE instead of Timmy Jr or Shump). The knicks need defensive minded players on the perimeter who can score if they are open, and the hornets need shooters to get their offense going. Add to that the fact both players are known knuckleheads (from the nyc area....) and the trade works fairly for all sides.

Last edited: