i

Injury Report

NY Knicks
ATL Hawks
Andrea Bargnani Strained Hamstring Out
Jose Calderon Strained Calf Out
Pablo Prigoni Sprained Ankle Day to Day
A. Payne Sprained Foot

Who starts for the Knicks is anybody's guess with Coach Fisher starting 5 different starting lineups in the past 7 games but I have Shump starting at PG to matchup with Teague and Schroeder who did anything they wanted on dribble penetration Saturday. Teague at times looked like Milsap posting up Larkin and doing his version of the "Dream Shake" on him.

Coach Fisher needs to correct the porous 3 point defense by the Knicks. They are allowing the highest % opposing team 3s at 42.7%. It often gets asked was the opposing team just hot rather than it being poor defense but in the Knicks case it's terrible defense, they are leaving shooters wide open with no one closing out and shooters taking wide open 3s on many attempts.

Add to the Knicks woes is they are tied for last in points scored in the NBA and you have a team that is off to a slow start. The return of Calderon and Bargnani may improve the Knicks scoring but the Knicks can improve their D starting tonight without waiting for them.

Hawks-Knicks Preview

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400578392

The New York Knicks are struggling to defend the perimeter during their worst start in five years, though coach Derek Fisher insists that's not the biggest thing working against his club.

Whether it be from the 3-point or foul line, Kyle Korver and the Atlanta Hawks simply hope to keep getting easy opportunities against them.

Carmelo Anthony and the injury-ravaged Knicks will try to avoid a fifth straight defeat Monday night when the Hawks go for their first road victory and a sweep of this home-and-home set.

New York (2-5) continues to get burned from 3-point range, allowing Atlanta (2-3) to hit 9 of 22 on Saturday and rally from a 13-point halftime deficit for a 103-96 home win.

"The lack of confidence we have as a team, it's affecting both ends of the court," said Anthony, averaging 17.5 points on 31.0 percent shooting during the four-game losing streak.

The Knicks, mired in their worst start since opening 1-9 in 2009, have let opponents hit 48.3 percent from beyond the arc during their skid and are among the league's worst in that category (42.7).

That doesn't bode well heading into another matchup with the Hawks, who rank among the NBA leaders in 3-point shooting at 41.0 percent and have made 50 3s in their past five games.

Korver, who led the NBA in 3-point accuracy at 47.2 percent in 2013-14, is 19 of 31 this season after making 6 of 9 en route to a season-high 27 points Saturday. He's hit at least two 3s in 11 straight games against the Knicks, going 35 of 71 (49.3 percent).

Korver also made all seven of his free throws as Atlanta went 28 of 36 at the line -- both season highs -- while the Knicks were 8 of 11.

That's a disparity which is among Fisher's many concerns. The Knicks are attempting 11.5 fewer free throws per game than their opponents.

"People like to talk about 3-point shooting, but it's points in the paint, free throws, points at the rim -- that's ultimately what beats you," Fisher said.

Anthony is averaging 4.6 free throws per game -- well below his 7.7 career mark -- after attempting only three Saturday.

The seven-time All-Star came out strong with 14 points in the first quarter but was held to six over the final three, missing eight of his last 10 field-goal attempts. He had averaged 34.4 points in his previous eight games against Atlanta.

"Paul (Millsap) is unique in that he can guard a guy like Carmelo that can play off the post," Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said, "and then when you have DeMarre (Carroll) and Thabo (Sefolosha), it just helps against a great player when you can run a lot of fresh people at him."

Carroll also has done a nice job offensively with a career-best average of 12.6 points, going 10 of 21 from 3-point range. Mike Scott has hit 10 of 20 3-point attempts for the Hawks, who are looking to avoid starting 0-4 on the road for the first time since 2007.

Atlanta split two meetings in New York last season.

Tim Hardaway Jr. could get his third straight start for the Knicks with Jose Calderon (calf), Andrea Bargnani (hamstring) and Pablo Prigioni (ankle) likely sidelined. He's provided a lift with 17.0 points per game and 10-of-18 3-point shooting in his last three.

Last edited:

NYKnickas

Rookie
Should be a good game. We should be well rested after a few back to back games. Playing an ATL Hawks team that isn't doing as well should help us fine tune the "triangle".

Thanks for the great game thread.

For me personally, these games have quickly become less and less about wins and losses and more about what salvageable pieces do we have going forward. Lately, I've been impressed with Shump, but it doesn't mean anything since we continue to look bad as a team. At this point, I'd rather see Stat starting than Jason Smith, but I understand Fisher needs to try to find some balance in the rotations. If nothing else, I want to see Fisher roll with whatever guys are going to execute his system on both ends of the court from the start of the 1st to the end of the 4th just so we can see how good that system is going to be. Let's go Knicks!

Phil Jackson pre-game comments: Knicks fans, be patient, you will see progress and you will enjoy it. Sounds good to me, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Larkin, THJ, and Shump all in the starting lineup along with Melo and Dalembert, same as a couple nights ago. Prigioni eligible to play tonight off the bench.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
DFish went small again. Melo at the 4. Phil saw the schedule at the beginning of the season and expected a rough start. I agree let's see what happens when JC comes back and the schedule doesn't have all these back to backs.

THJ and Shump dominating the ball on offense before finally sharing it with Melo and him canning a jumper with over 4 minutes into the 1st quarter. Also, only 4 minutes into the 1st quarter before the first incidence of us losing track of Korver and him nailing a three.

3-point defense continues to rely exclusively on individual effort. Shump was killing himself to stay on top of Korver beyond the arc. Now that Shump is out of the game, it took less than 15 seconds for the Hawks to get their first spot-up wide open 3-pointer that has become the trademark for our defense this season.

Melo gets his second nice assist of the night. On the very next possession, Melo forces it into triple coverage and misses the shot. Work in progress.

Both teams with subpar offensive efforts in the 1st quarter leading to us being down 17 - 16. I guess we can just call it a defensive battle if you want to put a positive spin on it.

Sometimes you just catch a break. Korver shooting a ridiculous 61% from 3 coming into this game, but so far, he is 1 for 7 tonight from 3, including a bunch of misses on wide open shots.

An interesting lineup of Stat, Jason Smith, Early, JR Smith, and Prigs gives us a nice couple minutes to start the 2nd quarter and now we're up by 4.

Kiyaman

Legend
Larkin, THJ, and Shump all in the starting lineup along with Melo and Dalembert, same as a couple nights ago. Prigioni illegible to play tonight off the bench.

May I have a WIN with Prigioni defense
Low scoring in 1st qtr. 16-17

JR non-movement n bad passing need to sit on bench

Makes me sick to say this, but Early's quick trigger reminds me of Antoine Walker. He just shoots anything that he can possibly shoot it seems.

Teague crying to the refs on a minimal contact play. He's expecting every play to be a foul against us after the game a couple nights ago.

Kiyaman

Legend
So what is everyone's take on that 1st half?

Low scoring 1st half 38-38 .. we should've had a drawn up play the last 13 sec