What is the problem?

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Ok, my brains exploded.... what is wrong with this team...... they seem to play better on offense and sometimes nice stretches of defense.... then suddenly.. nothing!!! they start taking stupid shots and letting all the people into the paint!!!
I know we have few injured players, but come on... are our players so low on talent.....
if you look at them one by one they are not that bad......maybe not that good but not to be at the bottom of the east ranking......

and what the hell with our injuries?? why we got injured so frequently, and why it take them ages to come back?!!

I am just frustrated, and trying to figure out what is the problem with our team........

tiger0330

Legend
That triangle has been a big problem, creating way too many mid-range 2s than points in the paint, FTs and 3s resulting in our scoring being in the bottom 5 in the league. High powered offenses in today's NBA rely on the 3 because if you shoot 33% from 3 pt range its like shooting 50% from 18 ft.

We also miss Chandler who is playing well for the Mavs and the guy who we expected to fill Feltons shoes hasn't even played a game. I'm waiting for him to come back before deciding how bad the Knicks really are.

There's also the talent problem, Dally, Smith, Acy, Larkin who are starting for the Knicks are backups on most teams.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Primarily a talent issue, very few of these guys are starter worthy, some wouldnt be on playoff teams benches. And as mentioned previously this offense doesnt even match the personnel we do have. Without post up bigs who can score in the paint this offense has no chance of being successful. Watching dalembert take shots really kills my HD experience. Like mentioned previously teams who cant get to the line of dont incorporate the three ball will have issues scoring in this league.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I guess sharing the ball is much better since.... don't know... 10 years?? I was hoping STAT will be the talented big in the paint, but I feel he is like JR, one game is great, the other game is nothing.... and by the way, while watching the game they were praising JR, but his defense was horrible, if any.

I am waiting for Calderon too, but do you think he will fix all? maybe Larken and TH will step up??

Kiyaman

Legend
Ok, my brains exploded.... what is wrong with this team...... they seem to play better on offense and sometimes nice stretches of defense.... then suddenly.. nothing!!! they start taking stupid shots and letting all the people into the paint!!!
I am just frustrated, and trying to figure out what is the problem with our team........

Whats wrong with this Knicks team?

The Knicks problem lies in bad-decision-making-players controlling the offense (in Melo & JR), plus the two players rarely participate on defensive-end.
Recall the 5 seasons of teammate Melo & JR on the Denver Nuggets having consistent 50 win seasons?
Their 50 win seasons in Denver were all from the wise decision-making by veteran PG Iverson, then veteran PG Billups guiding the team to 50 win seasons.

Do anyone recall when Phil Jax return to the Kobe-Lakers as head coach in the 2006-7 season, when the Phoenix Suns knocked the Lakers out of the playoff in the first round 4-1.
The Lakers had a 42 win season on the strength of Kobe bad-decision-making on the court, in the lockerroom, and with fellow teammates.
Phil Jackson fix the problem the next season in 2007-8 by bringing "Derek Fisher" lockerroom-discipline, and wise decision-making at the point, back to the Lakers team to have a 57 win season, plus go to the FINALS.
Derek Fisher outstanding leadership did not go unnoticed, Fisher were selected as the NBA players representor for the new CBA rules.

Knowing how Phil Jackson turned a first-round playoff Lakers team into a 3 Finals team, had me as a Knicks fan expecting Phil's first priority in the 2014 offseason to go full speed at getting the Boston Celtics veteran PG Rondo wise decision-making for the triangle, or a starting PG at that high level. Before any trade or resigning.
Especially after Phil Jax watch 2 month of the Knicks BAD decision-making from fellow Knicks players PG-Felton, SG-JR, and SF-Melo at the end of the season. All 3 players poor decision-making on the court last season stunk up MSG. Although, the media threw the majority of the losing Knicks blame on coach Woodson and Felton.

Im not taking anything away from Calderon, he did well under Mavs coach Rick Carlyle system, plus having several wise decision-making leadership teammates in Dallas. Calderon never showed any leadership or wise decision-making his many seasons with the Toronto Raptors. Which makes Calderon a backup PG on a Knicks team with so many bad-decision making players. Calderon being out the Knicks first 11 games of the season may be a good thing if he is a strong leader to make some drastic changes to the 3-8 Knicks when he return to the court.

The Knicks has had a decade of bad decision making from Owner, Management, Coaches, and players, which result in top FA staying far away from the Knicks, unless the Knicks pay double their worth. I don't see any change in the 2015 FA offseason.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I agree that Melo and JR rarely play defense, but being without a good PG is not Melo's problem, despite what you think of him, he is a superstar, a proven one.

Now what to do to have a decent PG is the question, and if the Zen Master could not figure this out, I saw lets move to NFL, cause this is plain torture over the years.

tiger0330

Legend
I agree...unless gasol is a 'greedy-bastard' like Me-Lo... guys who want to win aint coming here to partner up with Me-Lo and his side-kick JR...
The Griz are playing great, they can pay him the most money, why would he leave unless they don't want him. The Spurs also want him to be Tims successor, he ain't coming to NY.

paris401

Starter
The Griz are playing great, they can pay him the most money, why would he leave unless they don't want him. The Spurs also want him to be Tims successor, he ain't coming to NY.

I agree... so lets now concentrate on the 2016/17 plan... as we can kiss next year adios....

The assumption that how our roster looks right now will have anything to do with how our roster will look when we are attempting to lure free agents in this coming offseason may end up not being a good one. The only certainty is Melo. I think PJ could literally change any aspect of this team once the holidays roll around. Or, maybe he won't change anything. Can't say for sure at this point.

It would be funny to see the Knicks competing with the Spurs for a free agent. What is the most money that the Spurs have paid anyone in the last decade? Tim Duncan is a 10 million player this year. They may literally offer Gasol half of what we would offer and he is young enough, I bet he could go for the money instead of the best chance to win. I guess we'll see, maybe.

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree that Melo and JR rarely play defense, but being without a good PG is not Melo's problem, despite what you think of him, he is a superstar, a proven one.

Now what to do to have a decent PG is the question, and if the Zen Master could not figure this out, I saw lets move to NFL, cause this is plain torture over the years.

Melo don't have a PG for 5 reasons, all the PG that were Melo teammates left Melo with a bad taste about Melo.
Melo's NBA career with respected PG left Melo, and had nothing but distasteful rumors to spread in the NBA about being Melo teammate. Here's a list of names of the PG that were Melo teammates: Andre Miller, Iverson, Billups, Lin, Kidd.

mafra

Legend
1. In a guard-centric league, the Knicks gave the worst collection of guards in the NBA. Please stop saying Shump plays defense... he doesn't (see yet another SG dropping career high on us). They group plays zero defense, don't rebound or pass, and are streaky-inefficient scorers... er, shooters. Nobody really creates much. When JR is your best guard... yikes.

2. Low BALL IQ. Mentally weak.

3. Compliain too much to refs, and this leads to gross FT disparities.

4. We have no size or bulk or much strength.

5. Rookie coach.

6. Over 30 million cap hit for Amar'e & Barg. BRING BACK ZACH RANDOLPH!

paris401

Starter
1 When JR is your best guard... yikes..... how true is that

. BRING BACK ZACH RANDOLPH!
... when Zach was here, I called him the black hole, as it seemed everytime he got the ball, it disappeared... well my apologizes to Zach...on the rite team, with the rite players, u are a hell of a player...

tiger0330

Legend
... when Zach was here, I called him the black hole, as it seemed everytime he got the ball, it disappeared... well my apologizes to Zach...on the rite team, with the rite players, u are a hell of a player...
And that's a guy that did take less money to stay on a winning team. After signing an 84M and 71M deal his last 2 contracts he signed a 2yr/20M deal with the Griz.

Kiyaman

Legend
And that's a guy that did take less money to stay on a winning team. After signing an 84M and 71M deal his last 2 contracts he signed a 2yr/20M deal with the Griz.

I like Zach style .. a 20-10 star u can build a winning defensive team around.
Zach is a BIG-BODY in the paint, I don't see Marc Gasol leaving Memphis, unless its for a Top-contender.

Is our $5M head-coach Fisher going to turn the Knicks around by mid-season to get a few 2015 FA stars interested in being Knicks? Or would his rookie coaching turn FA away from the Knicks?

Will coach Fisher stop fooling around with a triangle system that aint working, and focus 100% on playing Team-Defense for 48 minutes a game. Plus stop all the jumper-jumper-jumper, and start forcing the ball down low to our Bigs to score. It would be easy to get the ball down low to the Bigs when the team start moving without the ball on offense.
And how about winning 1 game of a back to back.

paris401

Starter
Or would his rookie coaching turn FA away from the Knicks?

I think whoever is coaching will have very little impact... some... but not a lot when the FA's do their window shopping on 7th ave... I think when they look in the window and see one ball, n Me-Lo holding that ball, they hop in a cab for JFK...