Why are the Knicks so consistently useless

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Hi folks,

It`s been a long time since I was here on this forum after some major downs in my life but it`s great to be back and catching up on posts.

I just posted this on my Blog. I hope that you like it.

So, last night at the Garden -4th December- The Knicks lost to the Cleveland Cavaliers. It means that the Knicks record for the season now stands at 4-16. That is the worst start to a season in the entire history of the franchise. This season is not unique in its failures of course the Knicks are perennial failures and seem to be stuck in a constant vortex of being simply terrible.

Why does this continue to happen year after year with this club? Why is is that we continually change our coaches, general managers, and playing staff ad yet we never improve. Donnie Walsh and Mike D`Antoni were bought in as the golden couple to herald in a new era of Knicks basketball. Mr. Walsh demolished a roster of over-paid flops to clear cap space to re-build the ailing team but to no avail. Huge headline grabbing contracts to Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony swiftly followed which has not improved the on court situation. Mike D`Antoni was terrible as a coach often making the most baffling of decisions including believing that Chris Duhon could lead the New York ball club out of the darkest recesses of the NBA wilderness. Those two were followed by new coach Mike Brown and GM. Glen Gunwald. One season of Mr. Brown at the helm offered long suffering Knicks fans some hope. Improved defence being his best achievement but that hope soon proved to be forlorn as the Knicks fell back into farce and mediocrity. Now we have Phil Jackson playing a new part, and Derek Fisher as our new coach. But the same problems remain. No defence, no rebounding and too much money tied up in two players that will never lead any franchise to glory. Of course, having six or so players on the roster that are of D-League quality does not help but there appears to be something more rotten at the centre of the great mystery of the Knicks spectacular failure.

I believe that we Knick fans need to face the truth that until we have an owner who wants to build a roster that wins basketball games more than he wants to sign superstar players whose names demand press attention and therefore sell more jerseys and make more money then we will never have any success.

I just made my first Knicks video on my Youtube channel and I`d really appreciate any of you taking a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEc5F8aJv4

Luckily I now have TV channels here in the UK where I can watch the NBA and the Knicks once again so I am hoping to become much more involved in this forum.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Props to you for being British and such a devoted Knicks fan. I ask guys who aren't American how they became fans of the Knicks and a usual response is their dads were born in NY and they influenced them in becoming Knicks fans. Can I ask you how you became the devoted fan you display in your video?

From my perspective, the Knicks problem starts with Dolan who is far too impulsive in his decisions re: the Knicks, his love of Isiah, his flirtations with Walsh and Grunwald and even his hiring of Phil Jackson weren't sound business decisions. Walsh and Grunwald were let go far too soon with not enough time to complete a job of bringing a championship to NY.

Dolan has tried to correct that by bringing in PJ with a 5 year contract and so far remaining hands off but how many others did he interview for the most critical mgt position in the Knicks organization. Look PJ might have 11 rings but none of them were as a GM for a team. Did he draft MJ or Kobe or trade for Shaq. With a lack of a track record Dolan should have interviewed others before throwing 60M at the guy.

Signing Amare was a poor business decision, giving a guy such a rich long term contract with a player option his last year with him being uninsurable is another example of bad business.

Melo is another example, when he was originally signed there was no need to give away so many assets to get him. Walsh even told Dolan the price was too steep but Dolan took over negotiations and completed the deal. I fear the recent signing of Melo is another bad signing, he's on the wrong side of 30 and it may be when and if PJ gets enough talent around him Melo won't be the player he is now. Better to have signed someone like Harden, Lilliard guys that will be in their primes 3-5 years from now when the Knicks may have a better roster.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Thanks for the reply. I became a Knicks fan only about seven years ago. I used to like soccer and had never even watched any Basketball. I got ill and was awake all night seven years ago so I put the TV on in the early hours of the morning and there was a Knicks game on. It was the first game of basketball I had ever seen so I had no idea what was going on. Why the constant stopping for fouls? What the heck was a foul? Why do they get one shot from the line and sometimes two? lol. That kind of thing.

I got totally hooked on the game after that night and the Knicks and now I love basketball like no other sport. I`m still not an expert but I`m still learning all about the game. I`m a total nerd so all of the stats. are wonderful for me.

I didn`t know if I should have included the link to my video as I`m not great in front of a camera and I wasn`t sure if linking to Youtube was allowed here.

tiger0330

Legend
Nice story after watching one game you became a fan. The English are soccer crazy with places to play and watch soccer everywhere, so its amazing you became a fan. The internet does make it easier to become a fan. Lots of BBS and you can download all the games from somewhere.

You can embed any video in your thread, which is encouraged, videos make a thread more interesting imo. To embed a youtube video, the format is . The jB is the first 2 characters of your video id above.

Kiyaman

Legend
did we SUX 7years ago tooo???

Celebrity coach Dantoni 9 player dog-house made the Knicks Suck for 3 consecutive seasons.

Today, Dolan (or Phil) wants a early first round draft pick (Okafor/Towns) that has ability to become Super-Star status like the 14 season Patrick Ewing guaranteeing a championship at the beginning of every season.

I don't know how well the 2015 season will turn-out for the Knicks ???
But this season LABEL as "LOSERS" wont get us the two veteran leaders this team needs to help Phil & Fisher take the Knicks team to record-levels of 16-5 every 21 games, instead of 4-17. Melo performance has always been far from being a leader he just a high-scorer, thats it.
Stat don't like being on the same team with Melo and JR, plus Stat will be asking for a 2 year contract from the next team in the off season.

Derek Fisher coaching has been AWFUL inconsistent changing and different in a 11 man rotation each game.
Fisher type of coaching and substitution is professionally design to lose games.
Now, I know why Steve Kerr did not take the Knicks coaching job.

tiger0330

Legend
I think the honeymoon is over for PJ. First negative article in his tenure by Flip Bondy of the Daily News. I think there is a possibility the Jackson/Fisher era could be a real disappointment and worse than the Isiah Thomas years. PJ has no experience building a team and Fisher has never coached. At least with Zeke he was an exec with the Raptors and he hired coaches with experience. Jackson has a huge job in front of him with limited draft picks and the teams struggles a disincentive for star players to come here.

I don't know if a guy as old as Jackson with health problems that may keep him from traveling to see potential draftees and players is the guy you want to be heading up a rebuilding project like the Knicks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...tment-speaks-volumes-knicks-article-1.2037380

pat

Starter
I think the honeymoon is over for PJ.
It's neither Fischer nor Jackson. The problem is Dolan and he has been over many years. Walsh came very close to guiding this franchise into more promising territory when Dolan interfered and messed up the balance of the team with that Melo trade. Ever since then there has been no well crafted roster. For one year that was masked by bringing in veterans on short term contracts but there has never been any kind of big scheme in place. With D'Antoni as our coach Donnie brought in players that could prosper within SSOL. The missing piece was a Nash-clone. As there are none of them this turned out to be the big flaw in the plan.
There was not much Phil could do over the summer and no matter how much experience you have as a coach, getting players to commit to a system who have never seen one for at least two years is a nightmare of a job.
Right now there is only one thing I blame Jackson for: Not sign-and-trading Melo only to allow Dolan to put arses into the seats. With all the tourists in NY you sell out the garden anyway for fork's sake.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
pat, i agree with everything you said 100 percent. I said it before and i say it again, It was Dolans decision to bring our "superstar back", but PJ lost all the respect in my eyes for letting that happen and now i am beginning to think, that he came here for money, nothing else.
There is no way, Phil likes Melos game, who plays most selfish bball in the league, maybe even worse than Kobe. P.Jackson wants to implement his triangle system here, with the most selfish player, who has no sense of team concept, and a bunch of D-League caliber players. To top it off, he brings D.Fisher, who never coached in his life, and now we see how many mistakes he makes during the game, especially down the streach, one of the reasons we lost so many close games.
One more thing. I was listening to Clyde the other day, and during his commentary about knicks in the beginning of the last quarter he said, where was all this energy in the first 3 quarters? Then he stopped. Let me continue. This team is full of lazy overpayed losers, who dont deserve all that money they get. I think Fisher is confused, and he cant control his players, especially Melo, who continues to play his own system, and JR. Both have to go asap imo.

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
I equate both Me-Lo n jr as a boat... the 2 happiest days are when u buy it, and when u sell it... the problem ofcourse is its easy to buy... not so easy to sell...

Wargames

Starter
i think the knicks have been useless because they traded so many picks over the years and even when they had picks they would "do their best" and end up with a 6-15 lottery pick. If a team wants to win it has to have some homegrown "cheaper" talent on the roster. Especially when you add in the cost of rookie maxes and etc like that.

pat

Starter
but PJ lost all the respect in my eyes for letting that happen and now i am beginning to think, that he came here for money, nothing else.

What do you expect? He owns thew bloody team. It is his toy. There is nothing any GM, president, coach etc. can do about that.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
What do you expect? He owns thew bloody team. It is his toy. There is nothing any GM, president, coach etc. can do about that.

Phil was openly critisizing Melos game many years ago, do you think he likes him now? As a GM he should have stood his ground and ignored our retarded owners request to keep Melo.
I wasnt there during their conversation, but i am pretty sure Dolan told him to fix this team and promised to stay away, but "remember one thing, do not touch my homi"(Melo, for those who need translation). Phil said ok. Then he must have thought to himseslf "you want to do it your way, no problem, just pay me you retard". Thats why i think he came here for money, because he knows better than me, you or anyone else, that this team will be lucky to even make to playoffs with Melo. Nobody wants to play with him, so i dont expect anyone good coming to NY untill he is gone.

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil was openly critisizing Melos game many years ago, do you think he likes him now? As a GM he should have stood his ground and ignored our retarded owners request to keep Melo.
I wasnt there during their conversation, but i am pretty sure Dolan told him to fix this team and promised to stay away, but "remember one thing, do not touch my homi"(Melo, for those who need translation). Phil said ok. Then he must have thought to himseslf "you want to do it your way, no problem, just pay me you retard". Thats why i think he came here for money, because he knows better than me, you or anyone else, that this team will be lucky to even make to playoffs with Melo. Nobody wants to play with him, so i dont expect anyone good coming to NY untill he is gone.

So true, so true .. Melo will have to hand over the keys to this team sooner or later.
Phil Jax got a $60M contract, and Fisher got a $40M contract, the two are not worried. `

tiger0330

Legend
I was just on another bball BBS and someone started this thread. So far I couldn't agree more, the Zen of Phil Jackson gets a massive F for FAIL.

ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish
Are there bigger waste of money signings this offseason than Fail Jackson, Dreck Fisher and Melo?

Pricey

Rotation player
The fish rots at the head.
Throw in the fact nothing has changed with a new coach, there is no triangle being played.
The only positive is we have a pick in this seasons lottery

skisloper

Starter
the rumour is with their 1st round pick, the knicks are looking at a big..Fredric Weiss Jr...

gotta love Melo and Hardaway fighting

Sources said the most tension exists between Anthony and Hardaway and Kiyaman, as they haven't cared for each other almost since Hardaway joined the team last season, with each player believing the other shoots too much and doesn't care about defense. Sources said Hardaway was also bothered by the favorable treatment Anthony received under last season's coach, Mike Woodson.