Amare could be a key piece

tiger0330

Legend
Stat is having a good year, in fact in the early season he looks better than some guys the Knicks have interest in in FA. Stat has a PER of 20.35 higher than Milsap or KLove. He's not a FT player that can play 30 for 82 games but he has proven to be useful this season. Would you sign him in FA and for how much?

Really hoping he feels he left work undone in NY and he feels he owes something to the club and maybe he signs a 3 year deal for the taxpayer MLE. Kind of wishful thinking because I think he wants to win a championship before he retires so he may take a contract like that with a contending team rather than the Knicks.

tiger0330

Legend
Is this a joke? If yes, this must be the worst one i have heared in a long time.
No joke, the premise in signing these FAs is that we are a playoff team with a top 10 player in Melo that needs to be surrounded by a few great players to contend for a ring. With the Knicks off to the worst start in club history Gasol and Aldrich aren't coming. Amare might be the only guy we can get to sign, if he's willing to sign a reasonable contract he might be the best the Knicks can do in FA.

He's healthy this year and he's better than Dally, Jason Smith and Cole. The Knicks may not bring any of those guys back and if they don't they may need Stat.

Kiyaman

Legend
Stat Stat Stat ....
This was the season Phil & Fisher was suppose to make Stat the first option on offense by turning this into a run n gun triangle offense to be a 4 to 5 seed east team.

Stat did the impossible with the most worthless Knicks roster in 15 years, during the 2010-11 season Stat leadership had the Knicks playing .500 ball for 5 month being the Knicks leader of PG Felton & Toney Douglas, a rookie SG Fields, Gallo & W.Chandler, plus a injury-prone Ronny Turiaf to have a 28-26 record on the February trade deadline the day owner James Dolan went to Denver to trade for carmelo anthony.
Dolan gave all Knicks rights over to carmelo anthony .. Melo first full season as a Knicks the head coach quit before midseason.
Too much isolation, plus Melo want to take all the shots the final 5 minutes of EVERY game.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I see you guys like Stat, but you cant ignore the reality. He is a horrible defender, cant rebound and is a turnover machine these days. He is confused often and does not what to do especially on the defensive end. Tell me i am wrong.

paris401

Starter
I see you guys like Stat, but you cant ignore the reality. He is a horrible defender, cant rebound and is a turnover machine these days. He is confused often and does not what to do especially on the defensive end. Tell me i am wrong.

I agree not a great... ok.. not a good defender, commits turnovers,seems a bit confused at times..but... get a real point guard on the team, one who can hit him when he's in position, and watch him go... even on phoenix he was not great at creating his own shot, but that maple leaf seemed to always hit him on the move..

who knows maybe 'amare too feels 'his work is not done in ny', and gives us a Me-Lo hometown discount...

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Ok, you agree he is not great. I honestly think that even in Phoenix, playing with Nash, he was overrated. Great offensive skilles, but turning the ball over and inability to rebound and defend at his position, makes me think that he was never great.
Its like a boxer, who is a knockout artist, with a weak defense. I bring this analogy, beacause they look spectacular when knock their opponents out, and because of it are usually overrated. But a weak defense never makes them great.
But now, even the best point guard in the world cant make him what we need right now. And that is number one problem-DEFENSE.
I like the guy, but he should retire at the end of this contract.

tiger0330

Legend
I've been bashing Stat from the first day we got him. Everything from you have to bring Steve Nash with him to justify his signing to he can't play defense and oh those injuries.

Couldn't wait to get rid of him but he's the best big on the team by far and so far in the early season he's a top big man in the rankings.

You have to have lower expectations about who we're going to sign this off-season, the most I'm expecting is a guy like Greg Monroe and look at how the Pistons are doing with him.

Stat likes NY so maybe he takes less money to sign here. PJ could do worse than to sign him for 3-5M for a couple of years.

tiger0330

Legend
I like the guy, but he should retire at the end of this contract.
He's in full marketing mode for a new contract. Saying he feels like he's 19 again and backing it up with his play and his leadership.

He's not retiring but I wonder if he has championship aspirations like a lot of players his age that he won't achieve with the the Knicks.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Guys Amare has had a great season so far. He has really came to play and you have to credit where credit is due.The man is playing real good!!

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
Guys Amare has had a great season so far. He has really came to play and you have to credit where credit is due.The man is playing real good!!

Yes he is ... and like every other player once he leaves NY he will shine even brighter for another team. Love STAT and am happy he is playing well. Show me your a real star and stay for the low.

I love Stat. He is doing a great job returning to form this year, but, he is 32 and has not played 70 games in a season since his first year with the Knicks and even with how good he is this year, he is still only playing 25 minutes per game. It's time for him to join another team with a better and deeper roster than ours. As a franchise, we need to move on from him after this year.

DrB

Benchwarmer
You are correct

i see you guys like stat, but you cant ignore the reality. He is a horrible defender, cant rebound and is a turnover machine these days. He is confused often and does not what to do especially on the defensive end. Tell me i am wrong.
you are 100% correct.....

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
this is great, we can trade him to another team who is looking for a late playoff push at the trade deadline

increases his trade value

Kiyaman

Legend

Lets see, In 2010-11 season Stat leadership got teammates Gallo, W.Chandler, Fields, and Douglas to play relentless defense to keep the Knicks team performance above a .500 record for 5 months.
The Stat and Melo pair turned-out to be oil & water.

In 2011-12 it was the 3 months of "Linsanity" that put the Knicks in playoffs.
In 2012-13 it was Jason Kidd leadership that took the Knicks to a 54 win season.
In Denver it was AI or Billups leadership that kept the Nuggets having a 50 win season with Melo.
Yet .. Melo gets ALL the credit for Knicks & Nuggets successful seasons.

This season Stat is staying in shape to explore the 2015 FA market.
How many teams do u think will offer Stat a 2 year $20M contract???
The Phoenix Suns will

skisloper

Starter
Lets see, In 2010-11 season Stat leadership got teammates Gallo, W.Chandler, Fields, and Douglas to play relentless defense to keep the Knicks team performance above a .500 record for 5 months.
The Stat and Melo pair turned-out to be oil & water.

In 2011-12 it was the 3 months of "Linsanity" that put the Knicks in playoffs.
In 2012-13 it was Jason Kidd leadership that took the Knicks to a 54 win season.
In Denver it was AI or Billups leadership that kept the Nuggets having a 50 win season with Melo.
Yet .. Melo gets ALL the credit for Knicks & Nuggets successful seasons.

This season Stat is staying in shape to explore the 2015 FA market.
How many teams do u think will offer Stat a 2 year $20M contract???
The Phoenix Suns will

There will be ZERO teams offering Stat a 2 year 20 million uninsured contract. I suspect Melo will be traded before the Deadline to a West Coast team that can utilize him to make it to the NBA finals. We will take back expiring **** and hopefully some draft picks.......Stat will not be a knick next year so might as well get some picks of any kind if possible.

tiger0330

Legend
There will be ZERO teams offering Stat a 2 year 20 million uninsured contract. I suspect Melo will be traded before the Deadline to a West Coast team that can utilize him to make it to the NBA finals. We will take back expiring **** and hopefully some draft picks.......Stat will not be a knick next year so might as well get some picks of any kind if possible.
Only problem with moving him is that salary, you have to find several expirings and perhaps a large trade exception to be able to move him. Going to be tough to move him unless the Knicks want to take on a multi-year contract of someone like Josh Smith because the Knicks think he can still play and we can get some draft picks along with him.

note: Even a large contract like Josh Smith's doesn't work head up to trade Stat. It's going to be complicated to get this done just to get Stat for cup of coffee.

Last edited: