Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Washington Wizards (2014/12/25)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
header.jpg

WAS.gif
AT.png
NYK.gif

(19-8) (5-25)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG12:00 PM EST

Possible starters:

paul_pierce.png
quincy_acy.png

kris_humphries.png
carmelo_anthony.png

marcin_gortat.png
cole_aldrich.png

monta_ellis.png
jose_calderon.png

jameer_nelson.png
tim_hardaway_jr.png

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Washington Wizards
J.R. Smith - Partially Torn Left Plantar Fascia (QUEST)Martell Webster - Back Surgery(OUT)
Iman Shumpert -Dislocated Left Shoulder (OUT)-
Cleanthony Early - Injured Right Knee (OUT)-
Andrea Bargnani - Strained Right Calf (OUT)-

Today in Knicks history
136105710.jpg

December 15, 2011Knicks open the lockout-shortened season with a 106-104 win over Boston in a Christmas Day matinee at the Garden. Carmelo Anthony scores a game-high 37 points, including 17 in the fourth quarter.

Recent meetings
November 4, 2014New York took the early lead as they outscored Washington 45-40 in the first half only to see the Wizards storm back in the third quarter to outdo the Knicks 32-15 en route to a 98-83 victory at Madison Square Garden. Iman Shumpert sparked the Knicks with a season high 19 points on 6-11 shooting including 4-4 from downtown over 31 minutes. This was the most points Shumpert has scored since Jan. 22, 2014 @ PHL. Carmelo Anthony added 18 points and six rebounds over 37 minutes. Washington was led by Garrett Temple?s 17 points and five rebounds over 30 minutes. Familiar face, Paul Pierce, posted 17 points, five rebounds and three assists over 27 minutes for the Wizards.
December 16, 2014The Washington Wizards outlasted the New York Knicks in a nail biter as Carmelo Anthony?s buzzer beater rimmed out which clinched the 102-101 victory for the Wizards at Madison Square Garden. Carmelo Anthony paced the New York Knicks with 32 points, five rebounds and three assists over 42 minutes. Carmelo Anthony has led the team in points in every game this season. This is the first time a players has led his team in points in 24 straight games since Nate ?Tiny? Archibald in the 1972-73 season. J.R. Smith posted 18 points on 5-11 shooting from down town over 37 minutes. This was the most Smith has scored since Nov. 20 versus Indiana (21 points). Tim Hardaway Jr. recorded 14 points on 5-6 shooting over 22 minutes. Washington was led by Martell Webster?s 30 points on 9-13 shooting (6-8 3PT) and five rebounds over 36 minutes. Bradley Beal posted 21 minutes, including the final Wizards eight points, on 9-16 shooting over 30 minutes. John Wall added 20 points and eight assists over 33 minutes. Bradley Beal rallied the Wizards from four down with two minutes to go scoring the teams final eight points including the game-winning layup with :06.9 left in the game. Carmelo Anthony?s last ditched effort fell short as time expired

Thanks for the great, early game thread. I may or may not be around for the game later today, but being a fan of a team who is so bad that it is a punishment to sports fans to have to watch us play on a holiday is pretty lame. Happy to see we've stood pat in the trade market so far, since I think there is more potential for harm than good with our questionable value players and our expiring salaries. Hopefully, the young guys keep getting some good minutes and we see someone take a step to the next level. Let's go Knicks!

paris401

Starter
. Happy to see we've stood pat in the trade market so far, since I think there is more potential for harm than good with our questionable value players and our expiring salaries.

expiring contracts are great.... if a FA is willing to take our $$$$... with our roster of layers (oops 4got the "P")... I don't see it happening... but that's why we signed the zenmaster...to perform miracles...

expiring contracts are great.... if a FA is willing to take our $$$$... with our roster of layers (oops 4got the "P")... I don't see it happening... but that's why we signed the zenmaster...to perform miracles...

I totally agree about the problems we are going to have in the offseason in attracting anyone of value to NY and I may advocate that the best move this offseason is to not spend any big money, but that's a long ways off.

Starting frontcourt is Melo, Dalembert, and Stat along with Calderon and THJ. Makes sense on paper by notoriety, but not sure if Dalembert is enough of a defensive presence to offset being on the court with 4 poor defensive players.

Not even 10 minutes into the game and already have given up 27 points. No offense, triangle or otherwise, can keep up with defense this poor.

Losing 34 - 23 after 1 quarter. Most points by Washington in the 1st quarter all year. This is literally unwinnable defense. You cannot give up this many points and expect to have any chance to compete. Not sure who we can go to on this team to change this though. Our best defensive lineup may be some combo of two out of Dalembert/Aldrich/Jason Smith along with Acy and a backcourt of Larkin and Prigs, but where is the scoring going to come from?

We start the 2nd quarter with Stat and Acy plus 3 guards. We're trying to counter their size and depth by instead going in the opposite direction and playing small ball. They are going to eviscerate us even more on the glass.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I saw a game last week when JR warmed up gave the cut sign to his neck while smiling the ha can't go...cmon JR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
Starting frontcourt is Melo, Dalembert, and Stat along with Calderon and THJ. Makes sense on paper by notoriety, but not sure if Dalembert is enough of a defensive presence to offset being on the court with 4 poor defensive players.

That is a sorry "defensive starting 5 lineup"
And their offense is more sorry than their defense.
Am i the only one to notice in the past two seasons opponents don't let Melo score until the Knicks are down by 10 points.

THJ hits his first shot with 4 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. If the only thing you bring to the game is scoring and you are a starter, it cannot be 20 minutes of game time before you hit your first shot.

Kiyaman

Legend
We start the 2nd quarter with Stat and Acy plus 3 guards. We're trying to counter their size and depth by instead going in the opposite direction and playing small ball. They are going to eviscerate us even more on the glass.

The Knicks 3 and 4 guard lineup has been a joke for 14 losing season.

Down by 20 with a minute passed in the 2nd half. Merry Christmas, KOL. Lottery ball wishes look more and more like they will be granted.