Game Thread - Knicks vs Lakers - February 1, 2015 - Super Bowl Sunday Matinee

The two highest value franchises in the NBA battle it out in a game unfit for national consumption. The Knicks had been playing very well up until that Pacers loss and the Lakers are without Kobe, possibly forever, so definitely a winnable game for us. Linsanity returns to MSG and we'll see how the fans greet him and whether or not he is saving up something big for this game. Let's go Knicks!

I'm not going to say this is a good team, but watching this lineup of Amundson, Jason Smith, Melo, Calderon, and Galloway at least makes me feel like I am watching a real NBA team on both ends of the court. It is nothing like that garbage play we were rolling on the court as recently as a few weeks ago.

Galloway blows by Lin for the layup and then hits a free throw to complete the three point play. Down the other end, Galloway punctuates the help defense in the paint and gets the block. Galloway with 8 points in 8 minutes to start the game. Man, please let this kid be for real as an NBA player.

Now Melo getting it going with 3 straight shots and we have hit 8 straight as a team in the mid to late 1st quarter. Already winning 26 - 12. Will this be a rare Sunday matinee laugher where we are actually on the winning side?

paris401

Starter
so a lineup of...Amundson, Jason Smith, Melo, Calderon, and Galloway , is suppose to attract FA's to us over the summer... phil.. please tell me this aint your plan...

so a lineup of...Amundson, Jason Smith, Melo, Calderon, and Galloway , is suppose to attract FA's to us over the summer... phil.. please tell me this aint your plan...

No, it will attract no one, but for those of us desperate to have a little fun watching some Knicks games this year, things are so much better than they were not that long ago. Amundson out there now, just made a monster block, and Acy out there as well, just playing the game like their lives depend on it. Fun to watch.

Lakers are terrible, but still, we played that first quarter well as a team on offense and defense. Winning 32 - 19 after one quarter.

Beautiful cross court pass from Jason Smith, who was beyond the 3 point three line, to setup Melo for the one handed alley-oop dunk. First time all afternoon the crowd made it sound like they were watching an NBA game and not a D league game.

Okay last few minutes to close out an otherwise terrible 2nd quarter for us and we keep an 8 point lead at the half.

Good balanced scoring from Melo, Jason Smith, Galloway, and Calderon. We look more like a team than we have in years as far as sharing the ball, we just need the pieces in place to make the most of the ball movement in this system.

Melo with 19 points and Amundson already with 10 rebounds and we are not even halfway through the 3rd quarter.

Melo now with 22 points on 50% shooting to go with 7 rebounds here a little more than halfway through the 3rd quarter.

Melo on fire. Now has 16 points in the 3rd quarter and 29 points total with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

tiger0330

Legend
htr10 said:
Lakers are terrible, but still, we played that first quarter well as a team on offense and defense. Winning 32 - 19 after one quarter.
The Lakers need to be terrible at least among the five worst teams because of the Nash trade otherwise they lose their 1st rounder this year, I can't see any reason for them playing to win any games this year.

These new Knicks are killing the chances to get Okafor or Towns for what? Thomas is a FA and Amundson has played for 10 teams in 10 years I'd rather the Knicks finish with the worst record at this point.

The Lakers need to be terrible at least among the five worst teams because of the Nash trade otherwise they lose their 1st rounder this year, I can't see any reason for them playing to win any games this year.

These new Knicks are killing the chances to get Okafor or Towns for what? Thomas is a FA and Amundson has played for 10 teams in 10 years I'd rather the Knicks finish with the worst record at this point.

I'm not going to debate whether or not we should be tanking, but if I'm watching the games, I'm not going to sit here for 2 and a half hours and say over and over 'oh crap, we just made another good play, boo hoo, we are finally playing okay basketball'. Rooting for your team to lose to get a draft pick is fine if that's what you want to do, but don't expect people like me to be unhappy when we are winning games.

Also, I have bad news for the fans holding their breath for us to get the best odds for the number one overall pick. We are 5 - 2 over our last 7 after going 5 - 36 over the first half of season. No way, no how, are we getting the worst record in the NBA unless the Knicks shut down Melo. We are not a good team with or without him, but we are definitely going to keep winning some games as long as he is playing.